Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rain Water Harvesting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

Ok, so I need a water butt probably around 250L and a water diverter. Any ideas as how to filter it ie get rid of the tiny bits of grit that come off the roof tiles. The reason I'm going this route is the cost of resin. My TDS is reading 9 after using about 10 litres of resin making approx 3,600 litres of pure ish water.

You're gonna need more than that mate, I don't do much wfp yet and 210 can barely keep up. For example read last months window cleaning magazine the guy that wrote the harvesting article in there has 6x 250 and says he manages but is unsure about a dry year, I asked Smurf how much storage he has and he said 3000 litres and occasionally has to use his ro.

I just use sponge mate, 2x 2" layers so I can take out top layer to clean. Gonna add though I tested this 2 days ago, I took totally unfiltered rainwater straight out of butt and cleaned my own windows, next morning they were gleaming, no spots and no streaks at all.

Not Kips he uses his old socks apparently and an old baked bean tin lol, all 3 do the same job though mate, tights, socks, sponge.

Personally I like the bath sponge and coke bottle di vessel /emoticons/smile.png

Am tellin ya, dodgers DIY DI Vessel, has purified more water then my manufactured DI Vessel, and dodgers is(was at end of last month) 0PPM after 4 to 5 months of use, with alot of water going through it, ive used mine rare ly and already it is 4ppm and only brought it two months ago!(has more resin in it to!)

Rains great for trad as well, imagine putting tap water straight on the glass and letting it dry, you'd have spots and streaks like you wouldn't believe but I did it with rainwater and as I said theres no spots or streaks.

The stuff that leaves the spots and streaks ISN'T in rainwater so it's not going to cause them with trad either, just the soap and thats it.

He's right, I use a baked bean tin with socks stuffed into it and some holes in the bottom of the tin. TDS is about 27 I think, can't remember, will check tomorrow. - video here -

He's right, I use a baked bean tin with socks stuffed into it and some holes in the bottom of the tin. TDS is about 27 I think, can't remember, will check tomorrow. - video here -

Lol gud idea matee

Rains great for trad as well, imagine putting tap water straight on the glass and letting it dry, you'd have spots and streaks like you wouldn't believe but I did it with rainwater and as I said theres no spots or streaks.

The stuff that leaves the spots and streaks ISN'T in rainwater so it's not going to cause them with trad either, just the soap and thats it.
hi Dodger - i thought water gets contaminated ?! running all over the roof / gutter etc ? If i get my gutters clean enough - do you think i can use it as 'pure water' .?

I clean traditionally at the moment - and haven't got any experience using a RO system or any other methods to produce pure water .

If i can collect rain water in a 1000 Li tank - do i still need to buy the system , resin or how u call it etc ?

regards sdrah

I'm no expert mate and my house was only built 10 yrs ago and that, gutters and downpipe are fairly clean, I let the dirt settle in bottom of butt, theres quite a bit but it's all heavy and settles at bottom below tap, I just put it in a container over my diy vessel and let it drain through slowly, the sponge collects any stray bits left in the water and it comes out the bottom of the 1 litre of resin at 000ppm.

I'd go for it mate, you need minimum amount of resin especially if you filter it well first, just something in the downpipe diverter like Kips sock or my sponge. You can make a di vessel from almost anything don't believe all the hype about needing a shop bought one, my sponge distributes the water evenly over the resin so uses it all evenly. When I do eventually exhaust this 1 litre I'll make one from downpipe and pump it through but same againsponge at either end and it'll use the resin efficiently.

I wouldn't advise cleaning without running through a di of some sort first but as I've said before, I cleaned my own house with it straight out of the butt, no filtering or di whatsoever and my windows were 100% spot & streak free.

diydi2.jpg

Latest Posts

Back