Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

hmmm,odd ones....

cheapncheerful

well how did i come by these odd ones....years ago with a leaflet drop with a local paper....

how much ?the lady asks... £6.50.....oh the old one only charged me £5.50 now i know what you will all say ....hold your ground....but this was a long time back and i was after work... okay...you're not going to use that blade thing are you as the other window cleaner used to leave my cills wet... no of course not....i did....and still do ...but i do mop up well... and that was it ....an odd one....

well eventually her daughter moved nearby making an odd two....well thats better than one.... i did have a few other odd ones and i do them for a while and have let them go...but these two stuck.and a couple of others around the corner. so monday morning i hear that voice...

.well to be honest i had to work it out...its seven ish miles away...fourteen call it fifteen...so half a gallon of petrol...say £3.....well its right by subway so i am afraid thats a footlong £4.40 call it £5....so thats costs....£8 total potential earnings....£11-£8=£3...hmmm i was just thinking ...just not worth the effort when the phone rings.....a job i haven't done for ages in congleton the same as the other odd ones../emoticons/smile.png

..now i am smiling....putting them together looks better..okay dont get carried away its only £20...but still..

as for my odd one,well she is a nice lady....and she is only in one house so i am left alone on the other...so i park my car in the middle and set off approx 250 yards to the daughters ...well....i thought she wasn't in so i rushed around the back to get stuck in...back gate locked and i couldn't split my ladder like i usually do as a ginnel was in the way....so in reverse i go to split my ladder in two and get over the gate... just put my ladder back together and start going up(3 storey) and the window opens...do you want some water?..

..well no i have just used the outside tap but they get upset if you dont say yes.... well my buckets around the front... wait and i will open the gate for you to go and get it...

so i eventually got stuck in....forgetting its kids holiday time and guess who is the highlight of the kids day....wish i was wfp now...

yes okay when i was younger i would soap up the window and draw an airplane/face etc to make them laugh.....but i old and grumpy now and just want to get the job done....and i can't hear a thing as the kids talk away at the double glazing... still off to do an empty house with the money in pocket i bucked up...bang my music up and hey ho off to work i go...after walking the 500 yards to get to this second house. i know its not enough so i don't have my subway....ahhhh..

..and i force myself to do another odd one ...cat woman...well lots of cats....on the way home.and then i head back for a nice early finish ....well its not really worth going to start a new area with only two hours left ....i tell myself to stop the guilt... any way to finish jackanory...

i had a little sleep and was woken up by the phone as usual....can you clean our windows in congleton please?....i give up...so now i have to go back again...a whole £15 in two houses...hmmm odd ones

Odd when the phone goes, it's always 'how much?' Well how the feck do I know until I've seen what you want doing you prat. So many time wasters about I find too.

That's what I call "going fishing" to see what other cleaners charge

Don't tell me you have never phoned someone up to try find out their prices @Tuffers /emoticons/biggrin.png

Odd when the phone goes, it's always 'how much?' Well how the feck do I know until I've seen what you want doing you prat. So many time wasters about I find too.

I don't go out of my way just for a few quid so they can wait when I'm next in the area. If not then they are welcome to find someone else.

That's what I call "going fishing" to see what other cleaners chargeDon't tell me you have never phoned someone up to try find out their prices @Tuffers /emoticons/biggrin.png
No @Smurf, I have never done such a thing. But I did pull another cleaners flyer out of the letter box of a newly refurbished house today and replaced it with mine. All square as he poached one of my jobs a while ago :hehehe:

Odd ones will want them done yesterday @cheapncheerful when they make their mind up as they think we just sit around all day in our lazyboy's waiting for the phone to ring.

I prefer a bed myself /emoticons/biggrin.png

@Tuffers you sneaky little devil /emoticons/biggrin.png

No @Smurf, I have never done such a thing. But I did pull another cleaners flyer out of the letter box of a newly refurbished house today and replaced it with mine. All square as he poached one of my jobs a while ago :hehehe:

I had a young lad call me once trying to find out prices. The givaway was that he sounded about 17 and he was enquiring about every little detail, aswell as asking about 'waterfed poles'. I threw him a bone and played along as he sounded a nice lad, but it was clear he was just doing some 'market research'. /emoticons/biggrin.png Never done it myself though, I know what I charge and I stick to it.

I usually give an estimate out over the phone based on a few questions, and quote the real price when I get there. More often then not I'm about where I need to be. I book in the visit, and give the official quote before commencing work. I find doing this saves me going and quoting a job just to not get it. I almost always charge double (or a bit more) for the first clean aswell, as this saves me from the ones that just want a spring clean, or at least if they do it means I don't lose out too much over it.

Back to cncs post. I've got plenty of oddball customers mate, mostly on the handyman jobs though. One of my customers sings full blown opera to himself at the top of his voice as hes walking around the house.

I had one yesterday, claiming he hadn't got time to do his conny roof as he commutes to Canary Wharf every day (well over 200 miles there and back) and wanted me to give a price over the phone. I said tell your Mrs to call me when she's home and I'll pop by with an accurate quote. Guess what, she hasn't phoned!

I hate the odd ones but when I have nothing better to do may as well squeeze them in wouldnt never go out my way thou, your as bad as me naming your costumers I have a cat lady and a tea pot man lmao and some more Ill think of eventually.

I had a odd one ages ago now i have half a day there slowly but surely gaining more and more. In fact today I got another in that area, there current window cleaner was cleaning there windows with wfp and I was next door. I started just as he got round the back (We dont talk). As he was cleaning the back the women rushed out to me and asked if I had a card lmao. She called me back later that day and I was shocked at the horrific job he had been doing and gained a new costumer /emoticons/tongue.png.

Stick at them odd ones @cheapncheerful hopefully they will pay off.

:laugh::laugh:

Back