Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro System In Van

Neil

I have a 500 ltr tank in my van, i was wondering how i go about getting a ro system i heard merlin is the one i need but i dont know, my water is reading on my tds meter at 270 so what ro system do i need to put in my van ? And how much does it all cost ?

I hope someone can help as i want to keep the cost down on resin

Thanks

Any R/O will do the job provided it will produce enough water to fill your tank overnight. I presume the reason for asking the question is that you haven't a garage or space to process water into an IBC tank.

I would think that a 450GPD unit (RoMan type with 3 x 150GPD membranes) will work well for you, especially during the winter when water filtration speed decreases. (I started off with a trailer system supplied by Peter Fogwill. It was a 375 litre (3 x 125litre tanks) and he fitted this r/o to it. But as he used 3 x 75GPD membranes, it was a bit hit and miss over the winter if the tanks would be full in the morning. http://www.window-to...iler-system.htm Although the trailer came with the r/o bolted to the trailer it was removed and later connected up to an IBC tank in the garage) These R/O's usually come with a small resin canister included that will polish the water off but some favour a second carbon block filter. In these cases a small DI vessel will be needed to polish off the water to 000 tds. Originally our water had a tds of 255 and the resin canister was enough to last between filter changes when sediment, chlorine and resin was renewed at the same time. The efficiency of these r/o's is between 98 & 99%.

You will need two extra hose couplings outside the van, one for tap water inlet and the other for waste outlet.

You will also need to purchase a 12 volt normally off solenoid valve and a float switch. The float switch must be fitted to your tank so it will switch off the current to the solenoid valve once the tank is full and cut the water supply to the r/o.

This can be powered from the leisure battery you use to power your WFP pump.

You will also need to keep your van warm at all times during the winter as frost damage will destroy your r/o.

A merlin will produce water faster than the above r/o but at a lower efficiency (around 90% - leaving you a pure tds of around 22 - 27) and a higher pure to waste ratio. This means you will also need to purchase a reasonable size DI vessel and replish the resin more regularily. A Merlin has the advantage of having an inbuilt switch off valve, so all you need is a ball valve in the tank. Merlins aren't good news if you are on a water meter.

Things can get a little more complicated if you have low mains pressure and need a booster pump. Our mains pressure is 60psi and our r/o works fine without a booster.

Cost wise. http://www.purefreed...stem-p-609.html

You probably have a DI vessel but a 6.5 litre unit is available on Ebay for around £50.00. You will need to purchase resin to fill it.

As a thumb suck £300 for R/o and DI vessel and another £200 for resin, solenoid valve, float valve, wiring, hoses, under bumper hose port terminal bracket and hose connectors.

Spruce

A 4040 or 4021 or 4014 will do the job, these are higher spec than a 450gpd system. The Merlin produces less pure water.

But as post above flow rate and pressure will effect the performance of the membranes.

If your on a budget go for lower spec ro systems but always ask what the spec is of the membranes as there are a lot of low garde membranes being sold on the market.

If you want a quick fill then 40 membranes are the better option

Back