Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ford transit connect, MOT Advisories

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jacksherlock

Hi,

I am looking at buying a ford transit connect lwb.

I think i have found two but looking at past MOT's gets me worried.

Would anyone be able to give me any advise on whether these two are worth buying or not.

2006 140,000 miles

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Obligatory mirror slightly loose (3.3 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()
  • Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Nearside Front Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Front Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Power steering component has slight seepage from a component Rack (2.1.5 (a))

2004 155,000

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

Offside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))

Headlamp lens slightly defective both front (4.1.1 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

Nearside Rear Integral body structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced sill (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Nearside Front Inner Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

Offside Rear Outer Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

personally , you can value your scrap run abouts online now , that’s only place they need togo,

grt something newer , if you can’t afford to, keep saving 

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a good runner and earning u money then put it through its MOT ?

Last edited by a moderator:
more offen than not its the mechanic thats the problem and not the car... most of that all looks like classic bs fails to make as much out of the mot as possible.  knew an mot shop once thay scammed everyone who went throw there place for years. always inventing problems, domestic cars 250 to 300 was there base line bill for blagg work, anything comershal was 400 to 500 baseline repair bill.  thay even tried scamming a life long friend of theres, well he thought thay were friends, told him his 04 plate fiesta needed 500 quids worth of weilding underneath...I looked under it for the old boy it was soild. i told him i would take it somehwere else for an mot befor u go with them cause theres not an once of rust under it. he took my advise the car passed with no advisors.  there little or nothing to go wrong on moden cars / vans to fail mots these days even starship mileage stuff.  i saw a honda's passed mot history details the other year it had endless stuff needed doing every year, rust lol, ball joints, trunions, steering joints, rust again...lol,  shocks, springs, rubber gromits, rust again...all on a honda with only 38,000 miles on it, i knew then it wasnt a bad car, just a rip of machnic inventing work taking the customer to the cleaners. not saying ignor the passed history, simpe that theres no proof its fact. 

Try and buy something of one owner who has not abused it.

I bought an ex-rental van and drove it about five miles and it just seized up.

At the time when I picked up the van, I had agreed to buy a second hand generator of a guy that lived close by to the van seller.

Had to tell him, I could not pick up the gen as I had bought a van and it had broken down.

Luckily he was a mechanic and came out and tried to get it going for me, he had a fully kitted out mobile work shop van. He plugged in his Snap-On computer and the van had multiple error codes. He could not get it going... Was a Renault Master Van.

Ended up leaving it on the side of the road, contacted the trade seller who told me where to go.

Had to threaten court and he agreed to picked it up and gave me my cash back.

As someone who knows virtually nothing about motors at all, I prefer to spend a bit more and get a motor from a reputable dealer with a warranty, yes you may pay a bit more but it's piece of mind if you are like me. 

Back