Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

HELP FIRST SETUP

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Liam Steer

Hi

I am looking to buy my first WFPS and need some advice. I live very close to Ionics and wondered if it's advisable to buy one of their systems and get installed in a van that i will buy? This is pretty expensive and means getting into quite a bit of debt.

or

Do i buy a reasonable van with install already in and not be in debt at all?

I have been window cleaning employed for a few months using employers water so still finding my feet with both DI and RO systems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Liam

Don't go to ionics!

Honestly you can do a DIY set up for about £1000 plus your vehicle.

Once your well established and if you wanted to spend thousands on a system then go with ionics.

First of all what tds is your area? That will tel you wether you can do only or if you need ro.

I don't have a round yet, been doing some rounding up of friends and family etc and building up some interest locally. I only need to work part time as am a part time house husband :)

The water is very hard in my area, not sure of the TDS as yet but buying a reader tomorrow.

RO is the way to go i think as resin costs would be high with my hard water.

Most people i have spoken to have said not to buy a none professionally fitted system and to splash the cash straight away but i felt this might be to high risk for me.

but i felt this might be to high risk for me.
Trust your guts always...

The benefit of DIY is when you have learnt how to fit the system and where and how it all works if you have an issue your downtime is hours instead of days as you can sort it yourself.

You will find all you need to know by searching threads on this site amd talking to the lads here.

Im an old hand and build my own systems and even I aint too proud to ask for advice from the lads on here.

For a pittance of what ionics want you could build a shite hot HOT water wfp system in a rather tidy used van.

Thanks guys, this is just what i needed to hear as everyone else that i have spoken to have said to get a loan for 15k and work it off!!!

Can i post a link to a van that i have been looking at on here? So you can cast your eyes over it? Not sure if that is allowed or not?

Says its waiting for approval. If you look on ebay and search 'window cleaning van' its the 'Fiat Doblo 12 Window Cleaning Van' in Calne.

ide stay clear of that van 1.3 usly snap there timing chane near that ,milege plus that 1.3 emgine will strugle to pull the waight get a diy van systen its easy to plum in and a combo or transit connect

Thanks for all your help guys. I was going to see this van today but will cancel i think. What are the safety aspects/issues with installing a tank yourself and not having it crash tested etc? This does concern me.

high mileage, total diy set up around £6-£700. this is how i got setup.

i started with a backpack 4 top windows, 4 25 litre drums for pure water, if you can keep customers this way then invest.

or second hand van, low mileage, good engine, pop into auctions to get an idea of prices. then add £700 for your system.

with a £15 grand loan you can get what you want . you can also get what you want for £3-5grand. have money kept for any emergancies.

if you get a decent setup and it dosent take off you can always sell it on , not much lost. £15000 loan it will take 10-15 years paying back

Hi Liam,

Welcome to the forum mate.

My advice is to keep in the front of your mind the reason why we work! to make profits.

Note I said "to make profits", not "to make money". there is a difference.

You can make profits by working hard but also by working smart. One of the smart ways is to keep your business costs to the minimum they need to be to achieve your goals.

Think first. what do I want to achieve/when? Then work back from that, what resource you need to be able to achieve your goals, be it man power, van with system, equipment / tools etc.always keep in mind cost control v's investment. Too much cost cutting can strangulate growth, finding that balance between cost control and investing in your business is very important.

You mentioned you had considered or are considering applying for a loan of £15k, this suggests to me that your taking things seriously so you really need to think about writing a business plan. In fact you'll find no one will consider you for a loan without one, (I would caution against taking out a loan out of this size too early).

A business plan can be as simple as a single sided A4 or a multi page document. The important thing is to make the effort to write one, you will find you will most likely go back and make changes as time progresses and this is fine, but I would defiantly recommend to invest some time in researching the subject, but keep it simple in the early days.

It might sound a real drag having to write stuff out when really all you want to do is get a van and system & get there and clean some windows, but trust me if you want to be successful you will need one, and even if you don't apply for a business loan the every process of writing a business plan will be a massive befit to you and your business and put you at a huge step ahead of the competition.

I'm sure there will be many windies who can say !I have done okay for myself and don't have a business plan" but I would say to that, "I guarantee you would have done better with one" remember a business plan isnt just about making more money and growing your business, its about your goals, which may be a better quality of life, working less hours, spending more time with family and kids. etc.

But I also accept entirely that we are not wired the same & some guys are going to be more than happy to do what they are doing with no wish to write or work to a plan (although we all do that to an extent by virtue of the fact we have rounds!? & for those who are happy to carry on as they are there is nothing wrong with that at all, we are not the same and don't work in the same way.

anyway sorry I have rambled on a bit....

Some great advice there ! Wish I've done that in my early days . I've wasted too much time running in diff directions. now I'm very focused on the type of costumers that suits my business,and I'm way more effective today than back then . Also pricing wise. :thumbsup:

My advice would be to go the trad route, if only for 6 months. Learn how to use a ladder and a squeegee, build up some customers, and then switch to WFP from there. There are a lot of people spending a lot of money on WFP setups without a scrap of work. Your nice van and setup will be depreciating while you are running here there and everywhere trying to build up a round. Any trad gear you buy can still be put to use on occasion when you go wfp.

LOL, it does sound allot to me!!!!
Fiat Doblo 12 window cleaning van

Professionally fitted? What is stopping the tank moving from side to side? Looks to me like the owner has wedged a piece of wood either side up against the wheel arches tp stop the tank moving.

This van has been advertised on Ebay before.

Here's another example of what not to buy. Thin ratchet straps hooked on the cargo load securing eyes.

2011 Peugeot Expert 2.0HDi 120 L2 H1 Window Cleaning Van Hot Water

This is probably a good example of a quality van for sale. The equipment has been fitted correctly.

WINDOWS CLEANING VAN,WITH IONIC HOT WATER SYSTEM

Its been for sale on Ebay about 3 times that I recall. The price has been reduced. Its probably good value for money as it has a diesel heater as well. Unfortunately most window cleaners can't afford that sort of money.

As with anything second hand, expect to have to replace membranes and prefilters. Replace the Ionics resin filters with an ordinary di vessel.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back