Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

5 years on, and I still get a chancer trying to threaten me off his patch!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

laddergarder

I have had a few in my time, but this one was my best one yet. But in fairness he was right I was on his patch lol.

One of my customers moved house, round the corner from a cluster I have, so I said yeah we work up there, you want us to come by and give you a quote, no problem.

Couple of week later I arrive, and while speaking to the customer, another windy I know parks behind me and pamps his horn and waves me over. Now I was mid talking to the customer, and thought that this was a bit rude, so I could see what was coming.

I finished talking to the customer, and went over to his car.

"Hows it going pal what can I do for you?" I said.

"You got customers up here?"

"Aye, I have a few, why?"

"Well this is my area, no other window cleaners come up here"

"Well in that case I will tell you the same thing I tell any window cleaner, that tells me this is his patch. I work where I want, so do something about it, or f'k off"

he replied "is that right", then jumps out the car at me.

Mistake...

I am a foot taller and this guy is in his 50's, so twenty year younger. He tries to square up to me, "is that right?" he asks again.

"Aye, thats f'ing right, so come on then, what are you going to f'ing do about it".

"I see you up here, I am going to run you out of here"

"I am here now, and I am not running anywhere, who do you think you f'ing are?"

Anyway long story short I gave him my full French vocabulary, called him a rouge, which he replied "I am not a rough" lol, and told him too cross the street if he sees me coming in the future.

Off he went.

What bugs me most, is that these cowards don't have it in them to follow through with there threats, they just try to use intimidation tactics. When you stand up to them, they don't say boo to you again.

But what gaws me the most about this guy, is he has been cleaning my grandparents windows for years, and has prob known me since I was little and I know he is buck'shee, mainly because he was cleaning gutters for £4 a house, lol.

Probably the first time, I have walked away from something like that, and looked back and can no, I said everything I could have possible said to him, there is nothing else I would have liked to have replied with, other than a smack in the face, but I am glad I kept me reserve with that though.

had no idea this sort of stuff happens. if i saw a tradesmen do anything like that id never use them lol. did your customer say anything about it?

no not really, I had finished talking to the guy and he went inside, the thing is, I think most people don't want involved, encases they get smashed windows or something, but the reality is these guys would never do that, they are cowards. I have lost a shop to a guy who went in the day after I did them, and said this was his patch to the owner. Now if it was me I would tell him to F'off I am calling the police, but this guy gave in to this plonker, and cancelled me.

In that case I couldn't do anything because it was really up to the customer to tell him where to go, and if he chooses to use him to avoid any problems, then its out off my hands, its his decision.

Ur just right ladders! Iv never had this problem before. When I'm out and other windys are across the street I always get a feeling that something might kick off, but when eye contact is met its usually just a nod or alright mate.. I would never go to someone and tell them get out of my area.. If they ain't doing them It's their own bloody fault.

We recently took work off guys that the customer cancelled and they plastered her windows in egg and muck ( old old couple ) low life bastids.. But they have more work in the area so I'm guessing we will bump into eachother soon enough

lol go on ladder lad,i dont care whos patch im on i put cards out whilst windys are working in the street,if people arnt happy with them they call me i aint bothered and know body says **** to me.

ive worked side by side in my area theres around 4 gangs in 2s and im on me own make up five of us in the area,All of them are fine and nod or have a quick chat theres one that wont say orite tho but i just laff at him as im starting to take his custys away as there conning them doing windows every 2 weeks??******.

1st person says owt to me about patches i will jam the top tread in the teeth lol.

makes me laff because no windy is going to have every single house in that area.

i look at other windows cleaning if i see them working and think good luck to you

i bet some look at others like thay takeing work off you or what ever if your a hard worker youll get work regadless

if anyone says anything to me

i dunno what id do tbh it would take a lot to stop me from smacking the **** i'm a hard worker and noone is going to tell me where i can or cannot work and thayll know about it

any one had any proper bust ups over it ?

Don't seem to get that here I always have a chat with other windys most of them are old school mates anyway and one lives 2 doors away (I do his mams windows she said he's sh@t and leaves streaks lol ) they all seem ok, I can't believe people actually think they own a patch lol f-ing idiots need a good slap.

i look at other windows cleaning if i see them working and think good luck to you

i bet some look at others like thay takeing work off you or what ever if your a hard worker youll get work regadless

if anyone says anything to me

i dunno what id do tbh it would take a lot to stop me from smacking the **** i'm a hard worker and noone is going to tell me where i can or cannot work and thayll know about it

any one had any proper bust ups over it ?
I was dying for him to throw a punch, but I knew it wasn't going to happen, the minute he said "you come up here again", he had shown his cards, just a another empty threat.

I didn't want it hit him first because, I would just look like the bad guy, and the whole thing would get turned on me. But I made sure anyone that was home, would hear me call him a rough, for thinking he can tell someone where they can and cant work.

I knew a few the prob wont use him any more for trying that with me.

fair play ladders you done right i had a similar one with a guy in his fifties he started shouting at me and i started laughing at him and he got worse so i said whats your problem he said this is my patch **** you il work anywhere i like the customer rings me you dont give out a card or phone number because your on the dole now **** off and off he went every time i see him now i blow the horn and give him a wave most of the other lads i meet will stop for a chat or say hello

i had one bloke ring me up while i was dropping off leaflets giving me a load of ****e he said if i ever catch u round here ill rip ure head off when i told him i was still in the area and ill meet him for a friendly chat he agrred still giving me **** when i walked upto him he soon shut up and apologised must be because im 6ft and tattooed not that it means owt im soft as poo and wouldnt hurt a fly but he soon changed his tone

i was a doorman for 16 years & my motto was always treat people with respect & 9 times out of 10 you get it back but its the 1% that go running to the police when you **** them one. Mr Ladderman you did yourself a big favour by showing restraint well done mate & if all else fails make sure no witnesses are about lol

i was a doorman for 16 years & my motto was always treat people with respect & 9 times out of 10 you get it back but its the 1% that go running to the police when you **** them one. Mr Ladderman you did yourself a big favour by showing restraint well done mate & if all else fails make sure no witnesses are about lol
Its all right for you, being ex-doorman, someone that's just starting out and your Mr. Average might feel very intimidated.The tactic probably works in some cases.

That's one of the fears of buying so called work, as you could turn up to do the round and get intimidated by the so called RESIDENT windy that happens to be a meat-head that trains down the Fist+Elbow 3 times a week!

Its all right for you, being ex-doorman, someone that's just starting out and your Mr. Average might feel very intimidated.The tactic probably works in some cases.

That's one of the fears of buying so called work, as you could turn up to do the round and get intimidated by the so called RESIDENT windy that happens to be a meat-head that trains down the Fist+Elbow 3 times a week!
There is always someone bigger, but even they can be cowards. I remember the first person that tried this with me. I was in my early twenties, and prob about 11 stone at that time (not now lol), and this guy was prob about 40 and about 16 stone.

I told him I wasn't going anywhere, and to carry out his threat, or f'off I am busy. He changed his tune right away, and off he went. Seen him about, but has never bothered me again.

Someone told me recently, he is now working a job somewhere and just has two young boys working his round for him.

the prob you have with most old wc is they are Swear word!,and they started this job or there dad did when it was patches and they dont want change as they cant cope with it

Me talking about nice windys I take it all back, I've had a guy in the dole going to my customers and trying to steal them, following me around, one of them called me to say he was halfing the price, F-ing tw@t I'm boiling havnt got many as it is, I've contacted most of them and he's been to neally all of them but they told him where to go I'm well pi55ed off

thats a bit of an ageist comment, im 57 & certainly not Swear word!, im up to date on most methods & not just window cleaning, i was a qualified welder by trade but fancied something different so i started doing this, i have ipaf licence, member of wc fed, & doing city & guilds in window cleaning so i cant see the logic in that comment maybe some but most of us still have our marbles & havent yet got enough arthirities to stop me tapping these key boards lol

Me talking about nice windys I take it all back, I've had a guy in the dole going to my customers and trying to steal them, following me around, one of them called me to say he was halfing the price, F-ing tw@t I'm boiling havnt got many as it is, I've contacted most of them and he's been to neally all of them but they told him where to go I'm well pi55ed off

if he is on the dole report the little customer nicking **** simples

I'm well pi55ed off on the plus side you've just found out you've got some loyal customers & much as i'm against it the way he's going about it i'd grass him up, if he was just on the dole i wouldn't but what he's doing deserves it

i can only go off there window cleaners i know and have met, a lot in cornwall, are only wc as there dad was and he gave them the round, and they newbies come a long and start taking the work and they get up set

Back