gaining more commercial customers

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by colinvansmith, Jan 14, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Hi guys,

I am looking to increse my commercial work but unsure as to the best way to approach commercial businesses phone, email, letter, visit. does anyone have experience in this any advice appreciated.

Col

Advertisement
  2. Masons

Masons Guru

Approaching in person has picked up the majority of my commercial work.
    I walk into a business, and ask to speak to the manager.
    When I am doing I am always polite and emphasise the fact I can give them a quote without it taking any of their time.
    It's simple.
    I have emailed and phoned, you get fobbed off or ignored.

I tried canvassing 2 Bannatyne Gyms:
    I walked into them both one day and got fobbed off by reception.
    I rang them both, and got fobbed off.... 6 different times.
    So I tweeted Duncan Bannatyne and got fobbed off. lol

At some places I write a quote out first, and then when I am speaking with the manager I hand it them, meaning it's a one stop simple conversation and quote.
    If they like it they hire you if they don't they don't.
    I have restaurants and industrial units that I secured the contract on the same day I introduced myself.
    A hotel saw the quote, asked when I could clean them and had me clean the windows a week later.
    That is the beauty of speaking to managers. They see you looking smart, clean, smiling and prepared to save them money.

3. Great, thanks for the advice. Would you recommend going in suited and booted or turning up in your work van with your work uniform on.

Col

4. Masons

Masons Guru

I was in the work van, in work gear, though I wore a clean jumper and try wearing clean trousers as it helps.
    Give it a test run, park outside a few smaller businesses you want, and write out a quote that you would do it for, and go in guns blazing, you've window cleaned long enough and know more than enough and deal with enough customers so you will surely be confident and leave a good impression, remember to be as polite as possible.
    If i get the feeling they're going to tell me no i say I'm just trying to save people money while keeping a high quality clean, as you want your customers to look through the windows, not at them. :)

5. rjacandwc

rjacandwc Well-Known Member

Turn up positive, polite, lay your cards on the table and go for it!... Like the old saying goes "If you do ask, you do not get"... Nerve racking... But. you'll feel great after!!... and if they say NO... take comfort in the fact that you made the effort!!!... Good luck mate!!!

6. cool, cheers for the advice guys.

7. Catherine

Catherine Guest

I think you have to do a mixture of everything - only trouble is with "walk ins" you dont know if the decision maker is available to speak with, you dont know where your literature will go if you leave some, but having said that I know people have picked up work this way, so it can work without a doubt. With phoning, its just damage limitation, if the person isnt available when you ring, you just ring back. Also phoning to make an appointment, you know they are expecting you and will have time. Keeping/building a database is important, renewal dates, names, email addresses, all for future marketing strategies. It does need to be worked at though, least a couple of hours solid on the phone. Would aim to achieve around 50 calls in that time, but of course you will have people in meetings, on holiday, off sick etc - just have to be relentless and keep plugging away.

Hope that helps

Advertisement