Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leaky hose reel

Beccy

Hey guys, my hose reel is leaking here :

8c5adc4895fddc59bcc18d4d05840df4.jpg

I've tried putting that hose lock into the garden tap, and it doesn't leak, so I guess it's a problem with this:

16515ee0fa2914908d73b814a6bb7ed5.jpg

I don't think it's the brass bit, so I've tried ptfe tape on the plastic male part, and that didn't help. I'm running out of ideas /emoticons/sad.png

Any thoughts? Thanks /emoticons/smile.png

Is the rubber seal corroded on male part? If not then I reckon it will be the angle the hose is creating that is causing a small gap in the hozekock connection,

My hose connects straight on to a barb in the reel - perhaps try that instead? Never leaks that way...

On second thoughts you've got a clip keeping the hose strait, so I'm not sure now! Best to change it to a barb connection me thinks

The rubber looks fine.

When you say straight onto a barb, do you mean try just shoving the house onto the male part with a jubilee clip?

No you should be able to buy a barb fitting, although your hose reel is doffernt to most peoples?

I'm not a fan of these new Hozelock couplers; the older ones are better imho. Have you tried tightening up the clear hose onto the connector (see arrow)?

View attachment 4035

If you have an outside tap with a connector you can couple the hose onto that and see if you can see if its leaking there.

Sometimes it helps to undo the connector, pull the hose off, put ithe end of the hose in a cup of boiling water to soften the plastic and tighten it up again when the hose is soft. Check to make sure there is no splits.

View attachment 4036

The other source of leaks can be the O ring marked 1. They flatten and don't make a good seal any longer. Gardening shops usually carry spare O rings but they are plenty on Ebay.

There is a little O ring inside the swivel elbow (2) but you should be able to see water leaking from there. We find we replace O ring 3 regularily as they get damaged uncoupling the pump hose.

The elbow connector doesn't need PTFE on the thread. It has a seal which will suffice to stop any leaks.

Thanks, I'll get some new o rings as the brass connector is dripping a tiny bit but nowhere near as much as the connector inside the reel.

Well, in a moment of desperation (this had been ding my head in and I was starting to have a serious sense of humour failure), I got rid of the hose lock, soaked the hose end in boiling water add rammed it onto the plastic male connector and poor a jubilee clip on it. Bingo! It seems to have worked!

e3546e3195baa33e4e4dd4ba2ea9e0ef.jpg

I've cable tied the micro bore to the side of the house reel so that my new connection doesn't ever get pulled and fingers crossed it'll be ok /emoticons/smile.png

Latest Posts

Back