Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The north/south divide prices

WCF

Help Support WCF:

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes think us northerners get discouraged when we see some of the prices other get for work on here, and likewise some of the southerners cant believe how cheap us up north are sometimes.

Just goes to show you cant compare the two

London

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60573316.html

Where i live

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65750108.html

Almost 400 grand for a 2 bed terrace!, that would be 100 grand tops up here

good point to make AdamAngler - the difference is property prices are drastic.

I'd like to point out one thing, the house you listed in Beckenham is in Kent not london (hence the kent postcode)

so the difference is even more then you thought.

heres a link to a few 2 bedroom flats in SE4 postcode - i do a bit of work around there and its not an affluent or poor area, pretty average really.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Brockley/2-bed-flats.html

wont really get anything under 1/2 a million pounds and even then it will need a bit of work...  :1f632:

550k for 2bedroom flat, glad I don't live in London, those flats that went on fire in London wot would the weekly rent be on something like that, 

could you live comfortably in London on £600 a wk

550k for 2bedroom flat, glad I don't live in London, those flats that went on fire in London wot would the weekly rent be on something like that, 

I'm a born and bred Londoner and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Although I've travelled far and wide, I still think it's the best city on earth. 

You do have a point about house prices though, this is why a lot of Londoners, including myself, move to the edges where it's cheaper.

Im still inside the M25 and central London is a doddle by train to get too. 

The edges of Kent and Essex that border London are full of people that have moved slightly out.

love it here

Rent in Kensington/Westminster would be expensive!

i seriously doubt....

£2400 income per  month would get you a flat for  £1500 -2k per  month, wouldn't leave you a lot left for other expenses.

If your other half was also working then you might be alright

I'm a born and bred Londoner and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Although I've travelled far and wide, I still think it's the best city on earth. 

You do have a point about house prices though, this is why a lot of Londoners, including myself, move to the edges where it's cheaper.

The edges of Kent and Essex that border London are full of people that have moved slightly out.

love it here

Also born and bred in London and still live in London.

It IS expensive but you have the advantage of all the amenities...

I agree with Steve, i wouldn't want to live anywhere else - theres so much to do

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,you guys ever been to yorkshire?,heaven on earth,we now have toilets inside,running water and that elertrickery thing.

we also have our own bike ride if you have a pushbike although the hills might be a bit steep for you southern nancies though

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,you guys ever been to yorkshire?,heaven on earth,we now have toilets inside,running water and that elertrickery thing.

we also have our own bike ride if you have a pushbike although the hills might be a bit steep for you southern nancies though

I went to Yorkshire last Christmas, first time I've ever visited.

Very nice and as you say all the mod cons - Leccy, water, even had internet where we stayed (although it was super slow connection - felt like the old dial up days!)

Ayy, i suppose we all have an affection for where we were born, Yorkshire has its own charm, as a keen cyclist myself its heaven out in the hills. 

Ive never even visited London, i must go one day, 35 years old and never visited the capital city! been pretty much everywhere else in england though.

Ayy, i suppose we all have an affection for where we were born, Yorkshire has its own charm, as a keen cyclist myself its heaven out in the hills. 

Ive never even visited London, i must go one day, 35 years old and never visited the capital city! been pretty much everywhere else in england though.
Apologises to the Londoners on here, can only tell it the way I've seen it. Don't bother, been all over the world and it's  the worst, for rude self centred, people. All in a rush to go nowhere and all foreigners. 

Apologises to the Londoners on here, can only tell it the way I've seen it. Don't bother, been all over the world and it's  the worst, for rude self centred, people. All in a rush to go nowhere and all foreigners. 

I agree that everyones in a rush - i don't think they're rude they are just super rushed and hence not a great amount of time for pleasantries.

The fact that its a pull for people from all over the world is  a plus (imo) but i appreciate its not to everyones taste.

If you want culture, quality dining, good pubs/bars, visit the arts/museums then theres no where close.

Obviously if hiking or mountain biking is your thing then don't bother visit  :1f602:

I sometimes think us northerners get discouraged when we see some of the prices other get for work on here, and likewise some of the southerners cant believe how cheap us up north are sometimes.

Just goes to show you cant compare the two

London

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60573316.html

Where i live

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65750108.html

Almost 400 grand for a 2 bed terrace!, that would be 100 grand tops up here
I grew up in this block in w10 when it was a council slum

Check the prices now

19th floor 3 bed £695000

Housing prices in london are a joke

Screenshot_20170705-200230.png

love it here
That's why i moved to Hertfordshire Steve

20 miles on the A1 and i am by Brent Cross shopping centre and with all my mates

Rent in Kensington/Westminster would be expensive!

i seriously doubt....

£2400 income per  month would get you a flat for  £1500 -2k per  month, wouldn't leave you a lot left for other expenses.

If your other half was also working then you might be alright

Also born and bred in London and still live in London.

It IS expensive but you have the advantage of all the amenities...

I agree with Steve, i wouldn't want to live anywhere else - theres so much to do
I'm from royal borough of Kensington and Chelsea and back in 1991 our council rent was £79 pw for a 2 bed council flat in that block

Would be a good few hundred a week now

I agree that everyones in a rush - i don't think they're rude they are just super rushed and hence not a great amount of time for pleasantries.

The fact that its a pull for people from all over the world is  a plus (imo) but i appreciate its not to everyones taste.

If you want culture, quality dining, good pubs/bars, visit the arts/museums then theres no where close.

Obviously if hiking or mountain biking is your thing then don't bother visit  :1f602:
I want quality food and good bars, don't want to pay £4.50 for a flat pint and £25 for a steak that is half the size and worse quality then I can get up here. As for hiking have you seen my profile photo  :1f633:

Why would the beer be flat and the steak small??

London is the best place to go on a session

Top notch food whatever you like 

West london for Caribbean, brick lane east london for indian, down by marsh wall E14 for wicked chinese or kervan sofresi in southgate or wood green for the best Turkish food you can get outside of turkey

The clubs are all good especially camden and kings cross

Go down the Hendon by Brent Cross for a perfect pint 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would the beer be flat and the steak small??

London is the best place to go on a session

Top notch food whatever you like 

West london for Caribbean, brick lane east london for indian, down by marsh wall E14 for wicked chinese or kervan sofresi in southgate or wood green for the best Turkish food you can get outside of turkey

The clubs are all good especially camden and kings cross

Go down the Hendon by Brent Cross for a perfect pint 
the perfect pint dave would be tetleys,

I grew up in this block in w10 when it was a council slum

Check the prices now

19th floor 3 bed £695000

Housing prices in london are a joke

View attachment 10576

That's why i moved to Hertfordshire Steve

20 miles on the A1 and i am by Brent Cross shopping centre and with all my mates

I'm from royal borough of Kensington and Chelsea and back in 1991 our council rent was £79 pw for a 2 bed council flat in that block

Would be a good few hundred a week now

£79 in 1991 !!

I rented a council 3 bed semi with my ex  and in 2013 it was £81 a week, when I moved in around 2005 it was £47 a week I think.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation that

I have travelled a lot when i was younger and been to a lot of different places home and abroad

London is a melting pot for all cultures which is why there is so much diversity with food etc

Latest Posts

Back