Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When Is A Good Time To Put Your Prices Up?

koopmaster

simple question, when is a good time to put your prices up?

I have been running for a year from next month so I was thinking of doing it in June.

For those guys that have already done it, do you do a blanket update or per job

I was thinking of doing £2 a job for those that are front and back and a £1 for those that are fronts.

considering that all the big companies are putting their prices up by 20% this year, including virgin... buggers....

theres never a good time to put them up.

there is always the guys out there that still do jobs on the cheap. i've done it myself, to get a customer, asked what they are paying and either beat it by £1 if the price is right or just offer a little more to the service and keep the same price.

Ooh! Rc you snake!

Summers probably best time, sunshine makes people happier and the gas bills are cheaper!

id stay away from new year rises as everyone is skint wait till june/july,to behonest i wouldnt put prices up for the next few years as everybody is on the recession band wagon and the rise of window cleaners.you will lose custom no matter how good you are.

just been on my local estate spoke to a guy i know who runs the chippy i went in for a butty said hes had 6 windys come in last week looking for work and canvasing.

just be carefull mate £2 is a big jump too.

id stay away from new year rises as everyone is skint wait till june/july,to behonest i wouldnt put prices up for the next few years as everybody is on the recession band wagon and the rise of window cleaners.you will lose custom no matter how good you are.

just been on my local estate spoke to a guy i know who runs the chippy i went in for a butty said hes had 6 windys come in last week looking for work and canvasing.

just be carefull mate £2 is a big jump too.
You will lose customers, there no doubt about it. If you put them up enough you should cover the customers you lose and still make profit. Even if you break even its not all bad, your working less for the same money.
Just do the numbers before you put them up.

I would be a bit wary about putting prices up after only 18 months of trading, bare in mind some of them customers you might of only been cleaning a few months like a.k said thers a lot of windys about I see more new ones every week and houses are getting canvassed all the time the only reason I would put them up if you've bought the work and its really underpriced but id still be carful

I would be a bit wary about putting prices up after only 18 months of trading, bare in mind some of them customers you might of only been cleaning a few months like a.k said thers a lot of windys about I see more new ones every week and houses are getting canvassed all the time the only reason I would put them up if you've bought the work and its really underpriced but id still be carful
I put mine up after 10 months. lol Window Cleanrs about here put them up every 12/18 months
What if your costs rise, do you just take that out of your profits?

I put mine up after 10 months. lol Window Cleanrs about here put them up every 12/18 months

What if your costs rise, do you just take that out of your profits?
wow 10 months im well over due an increase then lol, most windys round my way put them up about every 2 years but I suppose it depends on the area, my business is only about 1/3rd windows the rest gutters connys and jetwashing so any increases are factored into that side

theres a hardly a rise in costs if your trad rubber and fairy are always cheap lol,only rise is fuel as such but my work is compact anyway the ladder is of the van nearly 6 hrs so thats not a issue for me.plus half the people i do dont have jobs or are retired so not got loads of money im still earning over twice the min wage.if you dont have debt and things on the tick you can be comfy and not worry about charging more when you dont realy need it but if you do then try it.

I've been going 4 years & never put a price up. Some are fairly **** price that prob could do with a £2 rise but then I've got a lot that are overpriced in my opionion (canvasser got them) so it's swings & rounabouts. I earn ok & if it means I have to do 1 xtra house a day or put prices up then I'd rather do that xtra house & keep everyone happy. Plus most of mine are £10 £15 etc & £1 rise makes it an odd price as silly as it sounds.

theres a hardly a rise in costs if your trad rubber and fairy are always cheap lol,only rise is fuel as such but my work is compact anyway the ladder is of the van nearly 6 hrs so thats not a issue for me.plus half the people i do dont have jobs or are retired so not got loads of money im still earning over twice the min wage.if you dont have debt and things on the tick you can be comfy and not worry about charging more when you dont realy need it but if you do then try it.
Exactly. Try get it a bit more compact to save the fuel. That's what I plan to do at Xmas as mine is a shambles at mo lol.

Van / business insurance, window cleaning licence, advertising, vehicle repairs, min wage / Wages, tax, accountants etc
Theres lot more to it than rubber and a bottle of fairy, well for me anyway.

Van / business insurance, window cleaning licence, advertising, vehicle repairs, min wage / Wages, tax, accountants etc

true. I just try to shop around and buy things that help speed up the job and make life easier means I can still earn a good wage and my customers get a good job at a reasonable price

i understand were your comming from i work alone and wouldnt have it anyother way.
i different to you i dont need a WC licence,i dont advertise i think its a wast of money i just put cards in letter box's they cost me next to nothing for 5000,and go by referals or pick them up in the street most people who ring are messers wanting one of cleans.

the rest apart from paying out wages is all very easy to cover if your a good manager with money.

whos on min wage by the way?you or the lads?

Exactly. Try get it a bit more compact to save the fuel. That's what I plan to do at Xmas as mine is a shambles at mo lol.
i dropped loads mate that were out of the way didnt pick any other houses up on a row of terraces had 2houses out of about 30 houses not worth it.
i want at least 30 to 40 quids worth in one street now hate p1ssing about with ladders on and off all day.

i understand were your comming from i work alone and wouldnt have it anyother way.

i different to you i dont need a WC licence,i dont advertise i think its a wast of money i just put cards in letter box's they cost me next to nothing for 5000,and go by referals or pick them up in the street most people who ring are messers wanting one of cleans.

the rest apart from paying out wages is all very easy to cover if your a good manager with money.

whos on min wage by the way?you or the lads?
Have you tried any adversing before mate? It works, well for me. Flyers/cards though doors dont work for me. I do okay from refferals. I gewt thew odd one from someone in the street. Those methods are not consistent enough for me. Theres no chance I could rely on those alone to pick up work. I suppose it depends how you feel. Im in to much of a hurry/rush. I want a big round and I want it quickly lol.

There not much you can do if the price goes up though, you could look for other products/services thats about it though. Then you may have to sacrifice quality in some cases

Would be something wrong if it was me on min wage lol

true. I just try to shop around and buy things that help speed up the job and make life easier means I can still earn a good wage and my customers get a good job at a reasonable price
Quite right too, im the same. If I can save time some where ill do it as long as Im not sacrificing quality. Best thing ive done/bought would have to be dog-earing and getting a WFP set up

Back