Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting back to it!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hinty

Hi everyone,

After a break of a few years (accident injuring shoulders - which have thankfully now recovered)
I am now making a comeback!!

We have moved area and will be starting from scratch.

(I have had 20 years in the business - 10 Trad, 10 with WFP)

I am curious - everyone has been concerned with economy - fuel prices/food prices etc - has this had a noticeable effect on window cleaning yet?

We will be going for strictly domestic - and I am considering using a canvassing company to give us a kick start.

How have other new start-ups found it?

Looking forward to hearing any tips - as always "Every day's a school day!"

No issues with the economy and personally I'd get out and knocking doors yourself as only you can really sell yourself and the service you will be providing
Definitely going to be out there myself as well - good to hear no issues though - appreciated.

I would think your area your working will determine how the current financial situation would affect your chances.
People are changing their buying habits and this will filter down to us. Good luck as there is work out there and with your experience you should be able to get it.

Hi everyone,

After a break of a few years (accident injuring shoulders - which have thankfully now recovered)
I am now making a comeback!!

We have moved area and will be starting from scratch.

(I have had 20 years in the business - 10 Trad, 10 with WFP)

I am curious - everyone has been concerned with economy - fuel prices/food prices etc - has this had a noticeable effect on window cleaning yet?

We will be going for strictly domestic - and I am considering using a canvassing company to give us a kick start.

How have other new start-ups found it?

Looking forward to hearing any tips - as always "Every day's a school day!"
Pay for advertising in a local directory. Mine cost £60 a month and did one today, new build ground floor flat for tenner a month. Might get many more because no one does them. Get your van sign written and park in areas that are well seen like supermarkets or busy junctions. Don't start cheap to get customers, I did that and regretted it from day one. good luck.

It has not affected me, though I have a decent established round. But I got 3 new customers since the cost of living increase who requested 6 weekly, which I said OK to, which I would not of before ( 4 weekly usually). And I picked up another 4 last week on normal Monthly. But I am "established". I have however noticed more Trad window cleaners around now. So I suspect there will be more competition beginning which will maybe highlight local pricing.

You’ll still pick up customers ok, but I’d imagine it will take longer to build a round up.
It’s generally affecting poorer families more that more affluent ones , so try and target them if possible.

Pay for advertising in a local directory. Mine cost £60 a month and did one today, new build ground floor flat for tenner a month. Might get many more because no one does them. Get your van sign written and park in areas that are well seen like supermarkets or busy junctions. Don't start cheap to get customers, I did that and regretted it from day one. good luck.
Although I do think advertising can be somewhat hit and miss and you want to be sure people are seeing your ad. If you're going down that road you can't beat a high ranking website for advertising - get your site amongst the search results people see when they're actively searching for your service in your area. And it's free

It has not affected me, though I have a decent established round. But I got 3 new customers since the cost of living increase who requested 6 weekly, which I said OK to, which I would not of before ( 4 weekly usually). And I picked up another 4 last week on normal Monthly. But I am "established". I have however noticed more Trad window cleaners around now. So I suspect there will be more competition beginning which will maybe highlight local pricing.
If they don’t want 4 weekly we would offer 8 weekly at a higher price ,at least then you are in the same roads without having to make a special journey, we wouldn’t offer 6 weekly on domestic .

Although I do think advertising can be somewhat hit and miss and you want to be sure people are seeing your ad. If you're going down that road you can't beat a high ranking website for advertising - get your site amongst the search results people see when they're actively searching for your service in your area. And it's free
Only thing is, I'm in the market for Oaps who are not that internet savvy. These folk seem to look at adverts in local newspapers or booklets. That's what I'm noticing with the new enquires I'm getting. Hard to target old folk with the internet when most of them don't use it. Looks like paid advertising is on the way out and the net is the way to go but I reckon I still have 5 years with the council booklet.

Only thing is, I'm in the market for Oaps who are not that internet savvy. These folk seem to look at adverts in local newspapers or booklets. That's what I'm noticing with the new enquires I'm getting. Hard to target old folk with the internet when most of them don't use it. Looks like paid advertising is on the way out and the net is the way to go but I reckon I still have 5 years with the council booklet.
And fairplay to you. You're after a particular niche and you know your market and how to target them. I was obviously talking in more general terms.
You're right about the senior citizens on the whole not being so into tech, but more and more are definitely getting into it, and things like voice search make it so much easier to access and simple to use.

I got another customer from a new housing association I clean. Handy when one lives over the main road from it. This one was from word of mouth but you can park your van in the area and see if you get any bites.

Latest Posts

Back