Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Battery box, recommendations ?

slippy

I have been using this plastic box to stop things damaging (getting thrown around) onto  the battery or water getting thrown on it.  It's broken now.  Any recommendations?  Shall I make a wooden one? 

15133583553161881244201.jpg

Ebay do loads of them.
2c33f2a27cf64988f50ed5ff489e061b.jpg

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Remember leisure (and other?)  batteries give off gases when charging so they should not be completely enclosed. 

Edit: Might be wrong on this, need to investigate what I was told by a seller..

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember leisure (and other?)  batteries give off gases when charging so they should not be completely enclosed. 

I take my little 26Ah gel battery into my flat to charge in the hall way.  Often wondered if it was safe to leave them charging for hrs.  I mean the gasses, I sleep in next room or if they caught fire. 

I guess drilling some wire holes is good for the gas to escape 

Now that you mention it, I might be mistaken. I dropped my new battery out the van side door, and the seller said it would work fine but could give up some gasses in case I didn't seal the crack perfectly.

On the other side, battery chargers does have that warning about not leaving it in an enclosed space.

For anything bad to happen you'd need a proper ignition source as well as gas leak, so it should be fine.

Never leave anything charging if your sleeping, don't know if that was what your meaning? And your best getting a box that fits around your battery size or it will just rattle about inside, which you dont want.

Never leave anything charging if your sleeping, don't know if that was what your meaning?   :2_thumbs_up_-_animated:

And your best getting a box that fits around your battery size or it will just rattle about inside, which you dont want.

Good advise. We now don't leave the tumble drier or the washing machine on when we aren't around either. The fridge is not included in this list, but at least we have reduced our risk a little, especially with the spate of tumble drier fires recently.

Never leave anything charging if your sleeping, don't know if that was what your meaning? And your best getting a box that fits around your battery size or it will just rattle about inside, which you dont want.

Wow, really, would a gel battery catch fire?   I''ll ask my battery shop about that.   I am not in my flat long enough to charge it when there.  Mine has coats above it

Anything that has a power supply to it could catch fire if it malfunctions,overheats etc,,,some things more than others.  
So mobile phones, TV etc.  Getting ridiculous isn't if you worry about everything. You would never charge your phone at night! 

I am going to put a smoke detector in the ceiling of my flat's hall.   Maybe move my coats which are hooks above the charging battery.  The floor is laminate and carry on charging. Really can't think what else u could do except put it in a metal box with the top only open so any fumes can leave so if there's a flame it's contained.   

All my mobiles are charged in the kitchen next to lots paper and letters I haven't got round to sorting.   Surely that's more dangerous? 

How long is it taking to charge your battery slippy ? I use to have a battery like that and would charge it every evening when I got home and it would be charged in under 3 hours using a smart charger

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Do as you please Slippy, myself personally I don't leave things on charge when I'm sleeping as I don't want burnt to death in my sleep.  

Back