Getting onto a balcony

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by dave_m141, Jun 17, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. dave_m141

dave_m141 Member

So.. had my first elevated style bungalow and they had there patio doors on a balcony with no other access other than ladder. Getting up was fine. Getting down was a different matter. I shat my pants as I thought I was stuck! Ha almost called the fire service . That would be embarrassing ha . I climbed off using a chair but put my foot through it and broke it! Surely there must be an easier way I'm oblivious to?

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Yep don't do it would be the simple answer.:D

3. dave_m141

dave_m141 Member

Good answer lol unless I rest ladder on the fence around it and pole what I can. I'm pretty **** at poling though, really gets on my tits!

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Alternatively arrange for someone to be home so you have safe access through the house to clean it ;)

5. dave_m141

dave_m141 Member

They work in the city so are never back till gone 8 at night! That's my bed time ha

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

You could always use something like this that's if the balcony railings are strong enough to take your weight if you should fall.:D

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

#7 Smurf, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    A lot of accidents happen when stepping on/off free standing leaning ladders as they can kick backward and move sideways as you have already gathered.

A good stabiliser safety device to help stop backward & sideway slip on the ladder would help though that's one of the reasons why I use an ankalad. Also the ladder tied off at the top with at least 3 rungs over would also help. On flat roofs and pitched roofs as in the vid a microlite standoff would also help to stabilise the top of the ladder.

8. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

I have some strong plastic boxes that I keep things in (about 40 x 20 x 20cm). So I go up the ladder resting on the top rail of balcony, using a small piece of bungee cord, fasten ladder. reach over and place box on floor of balcony, swing leg-over, step onto box, and you are there. (I always tell my wife I've had my leg-over when I do one of these).

9. Smurf

Smurf Banned

rugbywolf that would be the only leg-over I would get now for sure :D

10. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Calling cheapncheerful calling cheapncheerful :laugh:

Advertisement