Getting to the back of houses with water fed poles

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Jackie, Nov 25, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Jackie

Jackie Newcomer

Hello,

A question for those of you who use water fed pole system, please.

I've taken up window cleaning again and bought an established round. I use traditional ladders, squeegee and applicator. I'm wondering this time whether I should get into the water fed pole system to get rid of the ladders.

However, many of the houses I clean (all semi detached or detached) have locked side access gates. I get round this by splitting my ladders, putting the one over the back, climbing over and bringing the other half with me. Reverse on the way back out.

With a water fed pole system how do you manage with this?

None of the guys I see with the pole system have any ladders. Do they just not do houses with locked gates?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Gleam123

Gleam123 Active Member

Most times I speak to my customers and give them a ring or text the ***ht before and they then leave the gate unlocked for me

Ben

3. nearlyclean

Supplier

I carry a set of ladders just for this use :) as people forget or haven't the time to unlock gates

4. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

As gleam123 says, speak to the customers, get a phone number or e-mail address so you can let them know the ***ht before. I told my customers that i wasnt prepared to climb over a gate or fence to get to the back, if i fell and broke a wrist or something doing that, who is going to pay my bills and put food on the table?. Of course ive only ever done wfp so am not used to, or comfortable on ladders, otherwise i may feel different!. But as it is, as far as im concerned, its not worth the risk. If a gate is locked, but there is a bolt at the back near the top, i will use the small ladder i have to climb up, reach over and pull it, but thats as far as it goes.

5. I used to climb gates/fences now i'm wfp i don't even think about it, it slows me down too much getting ladders on/off the van of just to get over a gate, I tell customers my insurance doesn't cover me for climbing fences etc so if i turn up and the gate is locked i just clean the front and charge half they all no roughfly when i'll be there so are quite happy to make sure their gates are open just get the fron t done thhat month.

Our job is to clean windows not climb fences or gates you wouldnt ask a carpet fitter to empty a room of furniture so he can fit a carpet you'd have it ready for him or he'd tell you where to go why should we be any different, the customer has a contract with us to do a specific job if we turn up and can't because of a locked gate then thats their problem, i know i probably sound harsh but time is money in this game and i ain't wasting it ******* about with ladders, thats the main reason i went wfp in the first place so i could retire my ladders.

I haven't had any customers cancel as yet but if i do in future i'll take the at***ude that i'll fill their slot with a more quality job and customer. Efficeincy is the key to maximising profits, pulling ladders on and off the van and climbing fences works against this.

6. Just give them a quick bel the ***ht before and you should be fine.

I carry a telescopic ladder for odd hopping overs as its quicker than getting a ladder off of the van. Best £80 ever!

7. I also do same as nearlyclean.

8. ex-jedi

ex-jedi Guest

I send a text the evening before so all gates are open for me. Customers appreciate this too so It's doubly useful.

9. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

I do the same as above.

10. James

James Guru

I always carry a set of ladders on top of my van, people will always forget the window cleaner is coming.. Fact. It's just trying to find ways around i.e. carrying ladders and using your initiative.

Advertisement