Getting your website to the top of Google?

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by Jon Grainger, Aug 12, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Jon Grainger

Jon Grainger Member

Hi guys
    If you're bored, type into Google, 'window cleaner Norwich', and see how many pages it takes to find my website jgwindowcleaning.com.

I'm about tenth in the list on the map section, with one review.

I reckon I'm missing out on a lot of work because of this, and no doubt the illusive big commercial jobs that I've been pestering for, for the last year!

So what advice so you have for getting near the top of a search engine?

I have all my own pictures, not any stolen from other sites, I list my areas cleaned on every page, and a good amount of text, all things I have read are important.

What do you recommend?

Advertisement
  2. Dan Paton

Dan Paton Member

Where do I start?? Did you build the site yourself or get a company to do it? The whole site basically has no keywords. Every page is wrongly titled... IE. Your home page is titled Jon Granger window cleaning so that is exactly what google is indexing you for. I could go on all night with other things but it would only confuse you( I don't mean that to offend in any way). PM me if you need any more advice on the matter. Oh and Jon I couldn't find you on google and I stopped at page 11.

3. MrBump

MrBump Guest

Whats wrong with that page title? Seems pretty straightforward to me. What would you recommend it was instead then?

4. Dan Paton

Dan Paton Member

Google indexes pages MrBump. How do they know what the pages are about before they crawl them ? The title. If your page title is Jimmy Smith window cleaning/Home then that's what you'll be indexed for.
    One photo is Jon's title and the next photo is the titles of the highest two organically ranking companies in Norwich(the bits in purple). Spot the difference. There's far far more to it as well but that's just the first thing I noticed. jon1.JPG jon2.JPG

5. Dodger

Dodger Hero

So much and that's without even looking at site. Number one doing a search for window cleaner when you called the site window cleaning isn't going to work as well as you hoped. It's not just about the title either, EVERYTHING has to be optimised for that search term. Get a professional or read a lot

6. Dodger

Dodger Hero

And .com wasn't a great idea either better to buy .co.uk or .uk

7. Jon Grainger

Jon Grainger Member

Thanks for the comments, especially Dan Paton who sent me PM with some ideas.

Dodger, I tried mate, but all the suitable .co.uk options were taken.

Spent the last hour redoing the website as per your advice. Keep it coming please, need to get this up there ;)

Regards
    Jon

8. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Think about yourtownwindowcleaning.uk which for goggle etc is even better or yourtowncleaning if you do lots of services. Something along those lines anyway. Get a Google + account set up and a make sure you sort a local page with that they at top of page one so an essential.

9. boarcity

boarcity Guest

think id add a few images of mr. grainger onto your website Jon , he who was in "are u being served" this will appeal to the older set

AND you can even pretend he was your dad ! practice a few of his lines / or john inman , he can be your godfather, try it grainger.jpg

10. MrBump

MrBump Guest

Sorry Dan, clearly I'm a moron but even looking at the photo I can't see whats wrong. I guess he could get rid of the "home" bit. Other than that he's got a google+ page, his address and the fact it says window cleaning in the title makes it pretty clear for any users. I can make a website and understand about keyword repetition and so on, but by no means an expert. But all seems fine to me.

And personally I prefer .com, easier to say that .co.uk and I personally think looks better and instantly recognisable. I get that customers see .co.uk and see its local, but if they've already searched for theirtown window cleaning, it should be pretty obvious .com or .co.uk you would hope.

Advertisement