Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How Not To Re-Sand & Seal

Smurf

Just spent two hours scrapping excess sand from joints after a customer had a go at re-sanding & re-sealing his driveway himself.

His wife was not a happy bunny so called me out to try and make good. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Whole driveway had patches looking like this :rolleyes:

View attachment 2290

Now looks like this as it should

View attachment 2291

At least that chap used sand and some kind of sealer unlike someone else I've heard of on one of the forums that the customer actualy used cement and made a hell of a mess.

After the surface has been pressure washed you need to wait at least a couple of days without rain for the blocks and joints to be dry enough to re-sand.

Then with a wide bassine broom like this one I use http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/159328 brush the kiln dry sand into all of the joints. Note all surface sand should be removed from the bevelled edges of the blocks too so the only sand visible should be just in the small gaps between the blocks only. Obviously blocks with larger gaps ie on curves again try remove as much surface sand as possible so sand is no higher than the start of the bevelled edges again.

Most people who re-sand block paving overfill the joints.

Hope this helps?

Apart from it looking quite **** will create a nice damp area for moss and weeds to start growing quicker again.

What happens if left with over filled joints....

Over filled joints are not a problem in themselves ( apart from looking **** an unprofessional) as eventually the wind will blow the sand into corners or away altogether but if you put sealant over overfilled joints its a bit off a disaster , ( as you can see from Smurf's pics)well sorted Smurt, bet that took a while lol

Thanks Donny....

Yes it was a pain in the **** to do but at least in the end I got it looking reasonable again as I did not want others to think I had done such a **** looking job.

The poor chap got loads of grief for messing it up but mind you I did get paid well for my troubles also his wife thinks I'm wonderful yet again, /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back