going it alone!

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by RHYS2015, Jun 15, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. RHYS2015

RHYS2015 Newcomer

Hey guys, been window cleaning for past 4 years for a company (on minimum wage) recently me and employer have been having problems (he isnt very reliable / has a day off at least twice a week) after a bit of a disagreement today im now unemployed...

Im looking at starting by myself (have some money saved up to buy my own equipment & ladders)

Does anyone have any tips on how to pick up work i.e - whats the best line when people first answer door when canvassing?
    Best way to write receipts after doing windows?

I havent really done much with customers as always worked with my boss so he done all that
    I have however picked up a few jobs in my street (3 houses, 1 bungalow) not massive money but its a start
    Im pricing an average house (front 2 up 1 down & door) at £4 would you agree thats fair ?

Thanks for any help

Advertisement
  2. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Basically just get some decent looking business cards and go door Knockkng every evening just be yourself, 'hi there, I just wondered if you needed a window cleaner at all' always worked for me.

As for price, just price to what you feel is worth your while, personally I'd say £4 is quite cheap, I do fronts for a minimum of £6...

3. Jjamie

Jjamie Member

Charge what ever you are happy to work for,
    Then when you've cleaned the windows just need a little ticket to drop in the letter box
    Saying windows cleaned today date and price phone number and could have bank details on the back plus extra services you do ?

4. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Get cheap business cards from vistaprint
    20 squid for 500 i think
    Only give them to new customers not to people who umm and aah about it as they will just chuck them
    Give a couple to each new customer and say to them if you know anyone who needs a window cleaner give them one of these
    Most people are more than happy to pass your name on if you do a good job
    Just a bit of paper will do for letting people know you've cleaned theirs..or write on the back of a business card

Then just get out and knock knock knock
    And then knock again lol

5. Jake

Jake Grand Master

And then knock even more,

Basically just keep canvassing mate, you'll get there!

6. RHYS2015

RHYS2015 Newcomer

£4 for fronts is about the going rate around here (done a bit of research) rang a few companys and enquired as to how much my house would be (2 up 1 down) a few said £3 a few £4 1 or 2 @ £5 so sticking with the average,

I have priced up a few tonight after going out knocking doors got a few £10 houses & a few £8 so not too bad just have to get some cards sorted so i look a bit more serious than a stranger turning up at there door scribbling my details on a scrap of paper :)

7. RHYS2015

RHYS2015 Newcomer

Also i dont want to go to cheap but obviously im trying to pick up work ASAP, with my old boss i used to do 3 - 4 houses an hour at £7 a house i would be more than happy to be on that wage but at moment even if i pull in enough work to take my time and hit £14 an hour i would be happy until i get more work in, i have been on about £7 an hour for past few years working for someone else so anything over thats an advantage really

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Buy yourself a clipboard too. You can write down stuff on it easier than leaning on a brick wall and makes you look more professional.

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I don't use paper or clipboard
    I take my kindle fire or smartphone and enter all details straight on to my round spreadsheets In Front of the customer
    I think that looks good as I can say there you go you're all set up

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Jake

Jake Grand Master

I take a lorry with me with a 62inch touch screen TV, I then preceded to enter the details in front of the customer that way, fireworks then go off and lots of steamers as the details are finally entered.

In all seriousness all you need is some decent cards from vista print, and a note pad to write the address down etc, you can use clipboards and tablets, but it's not essential - at least it wasn't for me..

Advertisement