Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Whooops-A-Daisy

vito61

Had a nasty moment today.

I was carrying my ladder back to the van (I needed to get to 3 windows pole can't get to), when I put my foot on my the hose. The sole of my boot was wet and it slid along the hose about 2 foot. Completely lost my balance and ended up on the pavement with a clattering ladder. Fortunately I didn't do any property damage and only got slightly bruised knees.

I've not come close to anything like that happening before and try to be aware of all eventualities.

Just goes to show...........

Lets be careful out there. /emoticons/ohmy.png

Sprained the ankle in a cellar gutter other day that's why I've been on here all day waiting for swelling to go ankle swelling before any one starts so you get my sympathy buddy

I nearly did the same today. Wet hoses are not fun.

I am finding those railway sleepers to be lethal when wet as when. It's was all the rage a few years back. Now they are all rotten and slippery.

Yes it is, just in different ways
I was wondering if you had any statistics to back up your statement that wfp is as dangerous as ladder work. Assuming we are both talking about serious injury and/or death incurred using either method.

Using wfp, how many people have broken bones, been paralysed, sustained brain injuries or been killed?

Are there any people that know someone that can give as anecdotal account of somebody else that has suffered in some way because of using wfp?

Have the HSE sought to ban or restrict the use of wfp because of the injuries caused or deaths related to wfp use?

Please don't get me wrong, I am happy to use ladders and would support someone elses choice to do so. But saying that wfp is as dangerous as ladders........?

I can't quite see that being true. (based on injury,serious injury and deaths)

Yes it is, just in different ways
I was wondering if you had any statistics to back up your statement that wfp is as dangerous as ladder work. Assuming we are both talking about serious injury and/or death incurred using either method.

Using wfp, how many people have broken bones, been paralysed, sustained brain injuries or been killed?

Are there any people that know someone that can give as anecdotal account of somebody else that has suffered in some way because of using wfp?

Have the HSE sought to ban or restrict the use of wfp because of the injuries caused or deaths related to wfp use?

Please don't get me wrong, I am happy to use ladders and would support someone elses choice to do so. But saying that wfp is as dangerous as ladders........?

I can't quite see that being true. (based on injury,serious injury and deaths)
Firstly let me make it clear that I'm in no way against wfp and am looking at a trolley setup for myself, I'm simply being realistic.

With regards for he term dangerous, I'm referring to any physical injury (not including tired muscles from getting used to it of course)

Trad hazards: ladder falling, ladder slip, fall from ladder, item dropping(blade, tbar, etc)and hitting something or someone whilst maneuvering your ladders.

Wfp: object from hight (such as brush head cause by pole failure), electrocuted from electric wires ahead, pole drop (loss of grip), slip on the wet surface, slip/trip on hose, in a vehicle with a heavy amount of water situated next to an electric pump.

To be honest if you have done a oak assessment you should know there is risks in both methods and that in different situations, different methods are needed for safety reasons, and that works both ways.

To be honest if you have done a oak assessment you should know there is risks in both methods and that in different situations, different methods are needed for safety reasons, and that works both ways.
First of all, what's an "oak" assessment?

Secondly, is it really seriously suggested that wfp is as dangerous as ladder work?? Again, I would ask for some sort of evidence for such a suggestion.

Vito61 have you ever had a carbon splinter from a pole before? Thought I was gonna die!!!

And 110% agree with what you said.

Vito61 have you ever had a carbon splinter from a pole before? Thought I was gonna die!!!
Never had a carbon splinter.

I once took an arrow to the knee though. /emoticons/biggrin.png (apparently, that's a funny comment. So says my 16 year old son. I know, I know, I don't seem old enough)

Get proper work boots with non slip soles!

The sole of my boot was wet and it slid along the hose about 2 foot. Completely lost my balance and ended up on the pavement with a clattering ladder.

I would say that the risk of 'serious injury', is greater with ladders but, the potential to 'have an accident', would be about the same. I would also say that the potential to have 'a mishap', would be greater with wfp.

I'm just coming back to WC after being away from the trade for over 20 years but, in the 3 or so years I did the job with ladders, I never had even a minor accident and I put that down to knowing the dangers and therefore, taking care. I think the O/P was pointing out that, the absence of ladders from wfp, can indeed lead to complacency.

Mart.

Back