Good quality scrim

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by ptwindows, Feb 27, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. ptwindows

ptwindows Newcomer

Does anyone know where I can get some good quality scrim? the new stuff ive bought hardly absorbs any water?

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Did you boil it to break it in first?

3. cheapncheerful

yeh I had some of that...weird stuff...but unfortunately mr taytay stopped me from buying scrim.....I now use my taytay cloth...or suppose its called microfibre..

but I still use scrim for sils and have put three gud uns away for a nostalgia trip ....:D

I was very lucky to find a full roll off ebay ...wish I could get another..I just love the smell and feel ...I miss it...

4. boarcity

boarcity Guest

unger scrim takes a few washes and uses Before it starts to work. probably at least 4 washes .

and each batch varies , i bought a few last year took weeks to break in -then were good

5. windowsurfer

windowsurfer Forum Addict

I found one of my scrims at a shop that I do every 2 weeks, I thought it was a piece of cardboard, then I thought heh, is that a scrim, yes it was, it had been driven over a good few times. I threw on the back of the car, then forgot it was there, drove several miles, it was still there, thats what makes a good scrim, loyalty:rolleyes:.

I have found new scrims are really annoying, fibres come off all the time, until they are washed several times. Ive got unger scrims.

6. cheapncheerful

yep me found one over the road nicely sitting waiting for me...:D

7. norm

norm Grand Master

scrim is like windys
    older they get eh more wrinkly they become
    eh and more mature and broken in

8. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#8 boarcity, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    id like to go on a tour round a scrim factory. somewhere i read that the unger mill is in deepest darkest europe and that scrim is not woven on a regular loom ,so id like to see it for myself .

couple of yrs ago i was in the windowcleancentre store in downtown ipswich, jus browsing and i happened to see a pallet load of grade A Unger scrim , so i leaned on it a few seconds, then i moved off . a minute or so later the store owner appeared from out the back and asked did i want to buy a palletload of scrim. At that point i realized he had been watching me thru a peep hole in the wall/ or possibly a 2 way mirror!

9. norm

norm Grand Master

10. Eviestevie

Eviestevie Grand Master

Boil it!then boil it again!then boil again a thousand times till it's almost see thru bang it radiator then u have a good scrim

Advertisement