Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Got a call

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Korey

Don't know if this is the best place or not but need some advice

I received a call but missed it so they left a message, it was a call from some educational hub in Scotland, they asked me if I was interested in cleaning some schools around Glasgow area...

I'm new to this entire thing, I'm not set up for commercial work but don't wanna turn it down

My question is, what do I need to go down commercial road?

I'm not saying this call was but there are some 'scams' around that try and get newish businesses to advertise in school brochures that are supposed to go to parents but never seem to actually get published.
An educational hub - no idea what one of those is, I would check them out in a big way.
Just saying be careful!!!

For commercial work you would probably need RAMS and maybe a higher level of insurance all depends on their t&c.

Commercial work varies hugely with what they will require, should be RAMS , and 5 million public liability insurance as a bare minimum and certain companies then have their own criteria with what they want you to have . Some don’t ask for anything ???

Usually schools have a window cleaning contract in place. By asking a newbie to quote who doesn't know the pitfalls, they get a low price that they use to bargain the price down with their current cleaners.

I'm of the firm belief that we need to learn to crawl first before we start to walk. When we were asked to quote to clean our local primary and high school, I already had commercial experience. Even doing a walk around, talking pictures and accessing ease of access, I underestimated the time it would take to do the external annual clean. However, I overestimated the time it would take for the internal clean, so it balanced itself out.

I agree with @ched999uk @Korey commercial is a whole new ballgame - if you under quote they will jump at your price; if you quote too high, you won't get the job. I think you could well-being used. Tread carefully is my recommendation. And yes, you will need upgraded insurance to cover the glass being worked on and RAMS.

If you get the job/s expect to be messed around. Eventually, I got a key for the main gates and side gates, so we could clean externally over a weekend.

Later, the school clean was paid by the local council. The 30 day agreed payment terms went to 90 days. Invoices got 'lost', the cheque co-signer was ill and then on holiday - every excuse in the books. Since then, the school has become an academy and the windows haven't been cleaned in 3 years. I wouldn't want the job back.

I undertook anything at the beginning knowing I was underselling my services but I saw it as gaining experience. Soon you realise which jobs are worth it and which jobs you should miss. I soon noticed most trade guys don't clean the conservatories because it take too long.

Thank you everyone for your advice, feel really silly but turned out to be a scam!

Called them back and was a really genuine call up to the point they asked for £300 to be put onto a system, at that point I just blocked them

Everyday is a school day as they say but watch out for this in case it is a regular thing

Thank you everyone for your advice, feel really silly but turned out to be a scam!

Called them back and was a really genuine call up to the point they asked for £300 to be put onto a system, at that point I just blocked them

Everyday is a school day as they say but watch out for this in case it is a regular thing
I think they called me too saying they had schools to clean. ?

Don’t feel silly we have all been there and been taken in at some point by someone, it’s a learning curve and next time alarm bells will ring straight away , at least you didn’t get ripped of for £300 ??????

Back