Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Have I Done Wrong

What make / brand is your kit? Sounds like a problem with the rubber or something, shouldn't have to squeegee each time. If you are doing straight pulls, are you drying the edge you start from first with the towel? You need to. Just use a fingertip wrapped in it to dry a bit so your squeegee starts in the dry. But, learn to fan soon 'cause its way quicker.

Come down this morning an smear marks everywhere, they wipe off easy enough though.

I will learn to do it all it one s type once I master doing it without streaks!!!!!

If you're doing straight pulls it's usually better to go across the glass, lead slightly with the top edge of the squeegy then on the next stroke overlap slightly - no streaks. (if the rubber is flat on the glass) /emoticons/smile.png

Learning the basics is quite easy but it's defo a skill that some find difficult to master...

As you found out glass can look quite good after trad cleaning but in certain light can also look quite bad too. You will need to practice using different amounts/types of detergent too as too much will leave more residues on the glass so increases the chances of bad results. Corners/edges even when detailed are often the major cause of complaint if not done correctly.

To be honest I only trad using a wagtail for internal window cleans now as I prefer to do all exterior cleans using wfp which eliminates the need and risks involved of working from ladders.

I had to use a hard pulex rubber yesterday as I ran out of soft unger. And I noticed that straight pulling with a hard rubber works Alot better than a soft rubber.

Fanning is a lot better, but depending on the size of your blade then straight pulls are good too. You will find when you get to know your work and the windows you'll do them all different ways

If doing straight strokes down do one across at the top first then come down with yer strokes so your top bit is dry when you start.

as Joe said earlier, a quality squeegee should help matters. I started off with a unger ninja....it was shocking. I was also using economy micros at the time....wondered why I wasnt getting good results. I now use an spc 3 x 4 and quality fine weave micros and the results are so myuch better.

Depends on size of windows, I only use 18" for huge ones. Half of windows I do 16 would be too big, for me at least.

A lot I'm doing have, I like the 14" on larger ones and theres the fact that I've got small hands might make my 18" just seem to big lol.

I've tried that Z method as well with larger channel on smaller windows but couldn't get my head round it.

Gotta say a couple months ago I was prefering my 9" a lot but as said bigger is faster.

14" is my standard channel for 90% of my windows, if the window is too small for the 14" with a z method then il cloth it, if your just starting i would say a 12 or 14", no bigger, and practice fanning, you cant clean windows professionally with straight pulls, you will just look like an amateur

I haven't completed my order (fell asleep on the sofa) so never ordered the 8", I just thought it would be could to have a small one aswell as the big ones I have now, the big one won't fan on my windows at home, it's too big.

The houses round here do seen to have small windows... Instead of the 8, would a 10 or 12 be best ??

Cheers

Dave

I haven't completed my order (fell asleep on the sofa) so never ordered the 8", I just thought it would be could to have a small one aswell as the big ones I have now, the big one won't fan on my windows at home, it's too big.

The houses round here do seen to have small windows... Instead of the 8, would a 10 or 12 be best ??

Cheers

Dave

Latest Posts

Back