Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ouch

P

Pickingpaul

View attachment 4313

Started this house a few months back, nice size £20 without conny, the lady asked for a price for the conny roof and the windows/gutters. I looked at it and didnt know what to say, i dont do conny roofs ever, i dont advertise i do either to my customers but i decided to as i had never seen one quite so BIG before, so i said £100 and forgot about it.

So last sunday i text her that i will be coming monday morning to clean windows and she says great, can u also do conny this week, i thought oh no, dont really want to do that thing, but i said ok if i get time. I thought it will only take a few hours (dont usually clean them and dont really know how much efforts involved)

Took me 5 solid hours and i woke up with all sorts of aches

Now £100 quid is £100 but how much should it have been? So i know for next time im feeling stupid.

View attachment 4312

I think it was 30 sections by the way and its a swimming pool inside

Last edited:
At least £200 for that. What methods did you use Paul? I can see the WFP, but did you pre-treat it?
I just wfp and scrubbed the bottom bit thats reachable with a washing up brush.

So wfping it untreated was a lot more effort than needed i take it? I know i should hav sprayed it with something but i hold my hands up, i do t k ow anything about coony roof cleaning /emoticons/biggrin.png

Please tell me what i should have done tuffers mate?

Yep, £200-£250 would have been a fair price for that. Maybe a touch cheaper next time if you want to keep it regular, but that looked boggin.

Well done mate.

Yep, £200-£250 would have been a fair price for that. Maybe a touch cheaper next time if you want to keep it regular, but that looked boggin.
Well done mate.
Thanks, she was very pleased, i was think £150 next time as im sure it would be a lot easier in say 6 months which is what i think she said. But i agree £200+ for what i did. Lesson well learnt.

How do u generally price a conny?

Thanks, she was very pleased, i was think £150 next time as im sure it would be a lot easier in say 6 months which is what i think she said. But i agree £200+ for what i did. Lesson well learnt.
How do u generally price a conny?
I've not done many mate, and I don't have a hard and fast rule. But I work on the principle that its the best part of the day gone as I am only trad. So I try and work it so I can finish early for the day, or if I feel like it I go on to do a few more windows/another job. My last job I tied in with pressure washing, and the monthly window clean on the same house. I charged a good days wage for that, and the customer was happy as she got plenty done for her money.

I just wfp and scrubbed the bottom bit thats reachable with a washing up brush.
So wfping it untreated was a lot more effort than needed i take it? I know i should hav sprayed it with something but i hold my hands up, i do t k ow anything about coony roof cleaning /emoticons/biggrin.png

Please tell me what i should have done tuffers mate?
Get a 5L pump sprayer and 25L of Virosol. Dilute it to 5:1 - 10:1. Spray the finial and crest of one side and scrub and rinse. Then do the other side. When the crest and finial are clean then spray 2 or 3 panels and struts. Scrub and rinse, but not a final rinse. Do the same until the whole roof is done. Then spray the gutter. Scrub and rinse. Then go back to the roof as you will have splashed muck from the gutter onto the roof. Do a final rinse on the roof.

Some connys have very bad access, so it's easier to clean the easier side of the finial first and then clean the finial and roof of the harder side fully and then do the roof of the easier side last. You won't be sending muck over to the hard to reach side doing it this way and will save a whole load of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still it was 20 quid an hour so it wasn't a total write off mate
Thats what i thought, but totally done me in dave, earn more window cleaning and a lot easier. I put this one down to experience

Don't leave it to dry on the glass and frames though or it will stain yellow

Treat a few at a time

Don't leave it to dry on the glass and frames though or it will stain yellowTreat a few at a time
Thanks dave. So spray a few sections then rinse off? Will it loosen up the grren esy then?

Very easy but i would use ubik

Made by same people but i think it is stronger

For a full consevatory exterior deep clean on that size including the roof, guttering (in/out) & sides I would have quoted about 300 depending how bad it was and any access issues.

If you are going to get into conservatory roof cleaning I suggest you get a decent ladder setup for the job. Not use step ladders as are bloody dangerous to use on jobs like that working sideways.

I also would have mentioned the state of the patio area and would have asked if they wanted a quote for me to clean that also. Not to mention the house guttering etc too:D

I can see at least 600 squids worth of work in that pic not including the house /emoticons/smile.png

I think £100 seems like a realistic price. And you might find at that price they might like it done every six months or something and it'll be much easier next time..

For me to deep clean properly a roof that size I would include in my quote to:

1. deep clean the finials & crest

2. deep clean all roofing frames

3. deep clean all roof panels

4. deep clean all frame end caps & roof panel end trim

5. clear & deep clean the outside of the guttering

And that is just for the roof quote as good detailing is the key when doing any conservatory job

You get what you pay for as they say so there can be a big difference in the quality of clean if you are charging more and do a proper job.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock