Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Safer Car mount?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

View attachment 7623

Does having these barrels in the boot look safer than my previous idea of putting the seat down and spreading them around.

If the passenger seats are locked back (as above) and I am in driver's seat, that's two seat barriers to protect me from flying barrels if I suddenly break. Is that safe enough?

The pump and reel are in those flexi baskets in case they drip and are on back seats. I placed the reel on the street.

View attachment 7621

View attachment 7622

It certainly looks a lot safer. If the barrels can't move to start with that should reduce the risk. Once they start to move any impact will be magnified.

I'm sure you already do, but keep a bigger distance between you and any vehicle in front than you normally do. I know it's slightly off topic, though not entirely, but sadly there is an increase in the number of insurance scammers round my way that deliberately trick you into crashing into the back or side of them. One of my friends and one of my customers have been caught out recently this way. They drive along looking like they are lost, slowing down and speeding up just to lull you into a pattern, then suddenly bang the brakes on. Either that or they wait till you get fed up and try to pass them and then suddenly swing out. Anyone driving like this, give them a wide berth.

As I said, slightly off topic but not entirely.

Take care pal, and enjoy your work /emoticons/smile.png:)

i'd be checking what your insurance has to say as well, i'd imagine they would'nt accept that they're secured well enough pal?
I echo this. Make sure you have business use covered too

Tony

I carry up to 8 in an astra boot (usually 4 unless i got a big job on due to weight)

if they are in my boot with the boot shut it is nothing to do with insurance

I am under the vehicle payload and am covered for business use

This is what bugs me with insurance companies and van systems

They get funny about a tank of water bolted down in a van but as long as you are under the payload you could fill the floor with 25l drums and it would be no concern of theirs at all as a van is built to carry things

They're all a bit dodgy the way they decide what is allowed and what isn't

If your good at diy, you could always a couple sheets of plywood an some 2x1 and ply the back with the seats down in 2 or 3 sections, and the build a frame to store the barrels and other tools in and the waterproof it, I will be doing it to for my car when I finally get my backpack and pole, that way nothing will move about in the car and it'll look a lot tidier

Looks safer than having the rear seats down; that's good. If the rear passenger seats are locked in while barrels are in boot they aren't going to come smashing into my head I guess.

Having the pump and reel in those plastic basket things (for drips) on back seat look ok? the hose runs from barrels in boot to rear seat and connects to battery then reel (which will be placed outside). Does this look good. There would also be space for a couple more barrels on back seat as well if I really needed it.

Thanks for other tips!

My insurance is with Aviva and has business cover. I asked about carrying water. They said a few barrels would be ok. I think I mentioned 4 to them (100 litres) and they said ok. Obviously, sometimes there is more than that. The exact number wasn't mentioned. I was worried to clarify this exactly as everything is recorded when you call these insurance companies and was worried about being accused of doing something wrong in the future, I don't know, maybe I should clarify it all.

Just a pedantic point, if you are putting the reel outside and running a hose across the pavement like in the picture, nick yourself a traffic cone and place it next to the hose just to cover yourself

Police cars generally carry them, I suggest breaking into one of them :whistle:

Back