Gutter cleaning

Discussion in 'Gutter & Fascia Cleaning' started by Safroncats, Mar 7, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Safroncats

Safroncats Newcomer

hi everyone
    I have recently started a gutter cleaning business

I am only getting one job a week when other people are getting a lot more

I have tried advertising in local magazines and aocal free news paper

Any advise would be good on how to get more customers

Advertisement
  2. mr shine

mr shine Guru

it all depends on your budget, if cash is tight then a good option is to get out and canvass every day and with a bit of time you will pick up plenty of work. if you can afford a website flyers etc . remember if it early days you have to get your name out there and eventually they will come to you but it can take years to get well established .

3. Safroncats

Safroncats Newcomer

Cheers
    I have a website and don't mind spending some money but want to spend it to get some work in

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Maybe Just go knocking doors on houses with **** you can see growing out of the guttering and offer to do it their and then. There will be hundred of properties like that in your area too which will keep you busy for a while.

5. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#5 boarcity, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
    for start dont worry about how much work others in your area are getting in - they will be lying!

you need to spend ALL your time that isnt spent cleaning getting your name out cos you are new . gumtree,friday ad , viva, facebook,loading up special Springtime deal adverts on them thatll only take you an hour each morning-after that you hit the streets either door knocking or dropping your fliers [ get a streetmap] you need to drop or knock in Every street on that map. no stone left unturned .

price cheaply if necessary to give you much needed street presence . sound your horn on arrival at each new job, you need to be banging your drum so folk in nearby houses see you

6. Green Pro Clean Ltd

When business was slow we used to find houses with minging gutters, knock on the door and it went a little like this.

Customer: Hello?
    Me: Hi there, Green window cleaner, just finished doing your neighbors guttering across the road (and point to the most shiny gutters on the road) and I notice yours are in need of some attention, if you like as we're here I can fit you for £xxx and as this is probably going to cause a little mess on your windows I'll include those as well for free (already priced into estimate)
    Customer: That's great but I havn't got any cash on me right now.
    Me: That's not a problem, I can get them done now and collect from you one evening this week, which days best for you?
    Customer: Thursday.

You got to have a bit of nerve and cheek to pull it off but I I got about 7 out of every ten I knocked and most of those are happy repeat customers to this day.

7. Green Pro Clean Ltd

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO X 100'000'000'000 NO!

BOARS WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

If they want cheap s**t and poor quality, let them go to the latvians or romainians.

Safron! Do not EVER give a cheap price! Only give fair prices - if the job is a 2 hour job and you want to earn £20 per hour that's a £40 job (prices are for example only)

The reasons never to go cheap is if you do it once, they want it every time, so next year when gutter cleaning season is here they wont book you unless you are still cheap. By that point you have spent 12 months working in a cheap environment for poor pay and you are disillusioned and fed up and considering the position of head fries cook at McDonalds.

Lastly if you give a cheap price and they want to haggle a little (everyone loves a haggle) YOU HAVE NO PLACE TO GO. The customer will feel like your not wanting to take care of them as you have left no room to 'knock a bit off' and will most likely say 'I'll think about it and get back to you' (on the 29th of February!)

Boars, you are on my naughty list! :p (BTW Boars, you have no presence on my street so how much for my gutters? :D)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#8 boarcity, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
    when i say cheap i dont mean Absolutely ridiculous rock bottom , ie a fiver per side for gutter clear out . i consider cheap but reasonable to be a tenner per side and long as the house is normal you should have twenty notes in your pocket in under an hour .

when you are starting out,getting a toehold whatever way you can is necessary to boost your confidence .

9. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Are you being serious Boars? what do you do for a tenner? I would charge that to go round so they can make me a cup of tea!

When I talk of gutter cleans, we empty all the channels, make sure all downpipes are unblocked, then clean all exterior surfaces including gutter, soffit and fascia.

Our typical charge is from £2 per meter but that can go up depending on size of house, condition of gutters to start with etc.

This one in the picture below was a 2 hour job for me and my lad (4 hours total), minging to start with, Charged £90 to the customer whom was thrilled with the result and tipped us a tenner each so just at the £90 we averaged £22.50 per hour which is still a shed load less than we make doing windows.

I wouldn't go look at gutters if I thought it was £10

[​IMG]

10. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Some good posts.

Bottom line is, knock doors...

I've got to start doing this next week.

Advertisement