Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Money to spend

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gary Harry

Ok so I'm ready to buy a new system £2500 to spend I was thinking of the x- line van mount

Does anyone have one reviews would be good I'm all so looking for a gutter vac reviews welcome Thanks guys

I'm no expert but what are you after, delivery system only, or one with RO and DI fitted.

I was thinking of. Building it myself , but do I need R O or can I just use DI units .

The first question you need to ask yourself is: What is my tds readings from my water supply, ie. from your tap?

So the very first piece of kit you need to buy is a genuine tds meter. (There are lots of cheap fakes out there.) Buy one from a reputable wfp dealer, Gardiners, Daqua, Window Cleaning Warehouse, etc. Don't be tempted to buy off Ebay unless its one of the main dealers. They will be more expensive than the copies.

Once you know what your tap water tds is, then you need to ask yourself; Am I on a water meter?

Its only then that you can make an informed decision which way to go, r/o + di or di only.

Then you need to ask yourself what water you will currently need and what future needs will be due to expansion.

Have you a place to store water? Can you conveniently park your van (on your driveway) to fill up? These are questions you need to ask to decide if its a complete in van setup or just a water delivery system (tank, pump and controller.)

Have you got provision to keep your van frost free during the winter?

What van have you got and what's its payload?

A pretty coloured tank is way down the bottom of the list. (Btw, with these fancy coloured tanks, can you see how much water is left inside at a glance or do you need to remove the lid and look inside? Just asking as I don't know.) I do love the orange colour of their systems tbh. /emoticons/wink.png

Gutter Vacs.

I don't know what you current business situation is but I would tend to focus on one thing rather than have your fingers in many pies.

I would tend to focus my energy on building up a window cleaning round first. (Many window cleaners now refuse to do high level gutter clearing.)

Gutter clearing with a vacuum cleaner (gutter Vac) sounds good but it needs extra considerations. Have you got space to store it? (Its a bulky item.) What happens if a customer isn't home? Do you need to drop off a heavy duty cable drum to be left outside for you so you have a power source? It will mean going back for it later - 3 trips. Depending on your choice of vacuum, a generator will be another expensive addition. (A vacuum cleaner is an induction motor and as such can need between 2 and 3 times more power to start it. A 3000 watt twin motor vacuum starting one motor at a time will need at least a 5.0kva generator to run it.)

One of the lads that used to be on here focuses on gutter cleaning and also does windows as well. He uses a LWB Renault Master for all his kit. Just because you have a vacuum cleaner doesn't mean that you won't have to get ladders off the van. This cleaner needs them often as not all jobs are able to be done using his gutter vac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Spruce.

To power a 3000 watt machine you need a 4.5kva generator. We do gutter cleaning as well as sell the vacs and we always use a 1250 watt machine and have never been beaten on the job and never take ladders. We have made tools over the years so that the job can be done from the ground, we had to because we have done work for schools and housing associations that had total ladder bans. We just use a little 2.4 kva generator easy to get in and out of the van and they aren't too dear to buy.

Hi Spruce.
To power a 3000 watt machine you need a 4.5kva generator. We do gutter cleaning as well as sell the vacs and we always use a 1250 watt machine and have never been beaten on the job and never take ladders. We have made tools over the years so that the job can be done from the ground, we had to because we have done work for schools and housing associations that had total ladder bans. We just use a little 2.4 kva generator easy to get in and out of the van and they aren't too dear to buy.
What do you do if inside the gutter is all clumped together solid

Our vac head either breaks it up as we go along and we get it out with the vac it or we get out the weed hook and get it out like that. That's why we don't use the silicon radiator hose that most the others use. We found your need a fixed head (it can be adjusted) We've had all sizes of machine up to 4200 watt in the past so have had the monster generators as well (and they are monsters!!)

Like I said Peter we had to make it totally ladder free due to the sites we were working on at the time having total ladder bans and we never take ladders to this day.

Like I said Peter we had to make it totally ladder free due to the sites we were working on at the time having total ladder bans and we never take ladders to this day.

ba91bca620a64a775f4399b24d1d3af8.jpg

Quality tools mate. Good delivery also.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

I was thinking of. Building it myself , but do I need R O or can I just use DI units .
If your just starting out with water fed i would get goin with a DI, small tank and clx 22 pole. And from there collect imformation, experiment and expand. You can pick up a decent vessel off ebay for £35(i did, still going strong) and sell on if you want to upgrade. But yeah check how hard the water is in your area. Good luck to ya.

The first question you need to ask yourself is: What is my tds readings from my water supply, ie. from your tap?
So the very first piece of kit you need to buy is a genuine tds meter. (There are lots of cheap fakes out there.) Buy one from a reputable wfp dealer, Gardiners, Daqua, Window Cleaning Warehouse, etc. Don't be tempted to buy off Ebay unless its one of the main dealers. They will be more expensive than the copies.

Once you know what your tap water tds is, then you need to ask yourself; Am I on a water meter?

Its only then that you can make an informed decision which way to go, r/o + di or di only.

Then you need to ask yourself what water you will currently need and what future needs will be due to expansion.

Have you a place to store water? Can you conveniently park your van (on your driveway) to fill up? These are questions you need to ask to decide if its a complete in van setup or just a water delivery system (tank, pump and controller.)

Have you got provision to keep your van frost free during the winter?

What van have you got and what's its payload?

A pretty coloured tank is way down the bottom of the list. (Btw, with these fancy coloured tanks, can you see how much water is left inside at a glance or do you need to remove the lid and look inside? Just asking as I don't know.) I do love the orange colour of their systems tbh. /emoticons/wink.png

Gutter Vacs.

I don't know what you current business situation is but I would tend to focus on one thing rather than have your fingers in many pies.

I would tend to focus my energy on building up a window cleaning round first. (Many window cleaners now refuse to do high level gutter clearing.)

Gutter clearing with a vacuum cleaner (gutter Vac) sounds good but it needs extra considerations. Have you got space to store it? (Its a bulky item.) What happens if a customer isn't home? Do you need to drop off a heavy duty cable drum to be left outside for you so you have a power source? It will mean going back for it later - 3 trips. Depending on your choice of vacuum, a generator will be another expensive addition. (A vacuum cleaner is an induction motor and as such can need between 2 and 3 times more power to start it. A 3000 watt twin motor vacuum starting one motor at a time will need at least a 5.0kva generator to run it.)

One of the lads that used to be on here focuses on gutter cleaning and also does windows as well. He uses a LWB Renault Master for all his kit. Just because you have a vacuum cleaner doesn't mean that you won't have to get ladders off the van. This cleaner needs them often as not all jobs are able to be done using his gutter vac.

,QUOTE]

Hello , yes your right I'm on a water meter here I can park on my drive I'm in Essex so the water is hard , but my friend who has been wfp cleaning for ten years just uses 2 DI units , I might have been taken in by the nice new units but I've work it out with a R.O unit and I will save £1000 and more , I was thinking about the gutter vac because I seem to do a lot of gutter work in the last couple of months , and it's all been ladder work , Thank you big time for your advice it will make sense to build it myself ,

I have the an xline system in my van, great bit of kit if you've got the money but you could build it yourself for less than half the money

7fa3af262064e596d9f7a13ec5f09c0f.jpg

I just wanted to get up and running straight away and I wanted an RO that auto flushed and this was all I could find on the market.

It looks the Badgers nadgers though so I use that as a selling point, used images on website, business cards and as soon as I get talking to people I take them to my van and let them see the system and explain the ins and outs of it, instant customers the easy way

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

Back