Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Benz biocidal

T Doe

Afternoon guys.

This is my first post on the forum. Since becoming a member last year I have learned a lot, thank you.

Last week we removed an area of moss from a customers roof. I'm looking at applying some biocide, my question is do I need to work the chemical in with a broom or just apply a couple of coats and let it do it's job.

Thanks guys

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

hello t doe-i don't know what equipment you have for applying biocide so its hard to give a precise answer-mine may well be very different to someone elses.

a backpack and one of benz's nozzles work fine,first thing i do is to soak the ridge area,thats where there the worst of the lichens will be,then move to the bottom of the roof near the gutter and move left to right upwards.

theres no need whatsoever to brush biocide in-let it do its work and be mindfull that the roof could and probably will look a whole lot worser when you leave the job,thats just the way biocide works,

arrive early in the morning when the roof is cold -top tip mix using "pure water" works much much better when you mix it apply one layer and if theres enough time and the roof isnt hot apply another its cheap enough to go overboard and ensure you haven't missed areas.

make sure you have suitable safety equipment and use them please,biocide is something you shouldn't mess with if you are only prepared to wear trainers/t-shirts etc

Thanks for the reply Kevin.
Il be using a spray pump this time round, then il look at upgrading once I get a few more jobs in. Iv been watching various videos on the benz website so Iv got a rough idea regarding application. Il also be doing some practicing on my roof.
Iv also brought some Ppe so that's covered.
Will removing the moss and applying biocide be sufficient or will I need to apply blackwash/hypo before. Or is it depending on the customers preference.

Thanks Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Alright mate,

R.E. your last it all comes down to the customer's expectations and what you've said u will do and timescales.

Is it just a case of moss removal and biocide more as a preventative measure?

Or are lichens also a problem and customer wants rid of them?

If so,do they want immediate results or prepared to wait?

Are u offering moss removal or soft wash or both?

If only using biocide to prevent moss returning that's fine - just clear moss,spray and leave. No need for Blackwash/hypo.

If also wants rid of lichens but no rush then same applies - bio will deal with those during coming months so can spray and leave. I sometimes offer to give a 2nd application after 4 - 6 weeks if lots of lichens and Ben from Benz says 2 separate treatments are better than one heavy treatment.

But if you need immediate results in removing lichens or other dirt/staining then you'll need Blackwash or hypo mix but bear in mind u might need several treatments ,i.e. spray-leave-rinse = one treatment. So depending on size of roof,severity of lichens/staining using Blackwash is going to get expensive - 5litres @ 5 to 1 mix you're only going to have 30litres of mix which won't go far on a dirty roof or 120litres from 20L.....120 litres may sound a lot depends on size of area,soiling,severity of lichens and number of treatments required. Personally I don't use Blackwash on roofs but do use biocide. I prefer hypo because I can adjust concentration appropriately.

HOWEVER,I believe there is far too much of a tendency to say "oh yeah hypo this and hypo that" and would suggest it needs treating with more respect and understanding of EXACTLY what sodium htpochlorire is and what it does, For this reason I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and would say research it first because it's nasty stuff if misused.

The important thing is to manage customer's expectations so they know what to expect and how soon and remember that if soft washing and needing immediate results in terms of cleaning and/or lichen removal it is going to cost u more on chemicals - whatever u use.

And for the record,I don't claim to be an expert on roofs and haven't done enough of them. I just know what's worked for me.

Pro Green is your man and sure he'll be happy to help. That's who I'd ask if I were u.

Back