Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

This weekends job.

TolishAPurd

This weekends job was the local school. Its been in the pipeline for about a year but its finally happened. It should now be a nice 6 monthly.

1 man, 2 days, all of outside, plus a few bits inside, all trad. Its the first time for about 3 or more years, the windows were minging as you would expect.

This window from here on forward will be known as 'the bastardo'. No one had dared to clean it since it was fitted.

utf-8BSU1BRzA2NzcuanBn_zps57d947c3.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA2NzYuanBn_zps700550f9.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA2NzEuanBn_zps58528f45.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA2NzMuanBn_zps0ae4edb6.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA2NzIuanBn_zps68f38588.jpg

57518c7c-f579-4b37-96b2-cd5d64b82af2_zps5ytbnwl4.jpg

Theres a lot more round the back, and I did some inside, but it was priced well,and should get better now there won't be so much dirt.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
good job!! "the bastardo" came up a treat!
Thanks mate. I've never been good at taking before and after photos,I usually take one and not the other lol. But rest assured the bastardo was coated in spider webs and filth.

Nice one, got my local primary school due this coming Tuesday to do as well.

It only gets done yearly though. Years worth of dirt is a tough one but its always nice to do something different and get you off your domestic round for a bit.

well done m8 first cleans on this scale are always worst.time & effort now will make it easier in the future.

Nice Tolish, let me toss a couple of Greens tips in the pot on these ones.

1: Dont forget the Ubik

2: Those b@st@rd spider nests in all the corners are nightmares, a short piece of bamboo, end snapped off (not cut) stick in the nest and twist, winds them up like candy floss (the dozens of little spikes on the end of bamboo you see)

Hope that helps for next time, well done mate.

Nice Tolish, let me toss a couple of Greens tips in the pot on these ones.
1: Dont forget the Ubik

2: Those b@st@rd spider nests in all the corners are nightmares, a short piece of bamboo, end snapped off (not cut) stick in the nest and twist, winds them up like candy floss (the dozens of little spikes on the end of bamboo you see)

Hope that helps for next time, well done mate.
Thanks mate. Good tip on the bamboo, I like it.:thumbsup: I always carry a 2 inch paint brush in my front pouch for brushing spiders webs out and sweeping the rubbish off sills. But for the really bad ones I get the broom out of the car, which is exactly what I did on the bastardo.

I had a load of ubik in a pump sprayer and used it on all the UPVC windows you can see in the pic next to my van, and on the velux windows- highly recommend this, I was able to fly through them. I also used cream cleaner to bring up the downstairs sills on those big batches of windows. It should really bring the wow factor when people come through the gates.

Nice one, got my local primary school due this coming Tuesday to do as well.
It only gets done yearly though. Years worth of dirt is a tough one but its always nice to do something different and get you off your domestic round for a bit.
With a bit of luck it'll be 6monthly, shes agreed to this but due to all sorts of factors I have had to give a price after the job, and knowing what budgets are like I reckon they might end up trying to stretch it out for a year. Either way, I have broken down the prices to make access easier i.e inside, outside, and inside +outside. No mix and match like I did this weekend. Should make things a lot quicker.

well done m8 first cleans on this scale are always worst.time & effort now will make it easier in the future.
I won't lie, the first day was tough, short breaks, and I had to finish at 6 just so I could be sure I could be finished on time today. Finished at 5 on the dot and had a couple of tea breaks this time. Day one and I had to use the scraper on just about every window due to selotape, stickers, blue tac etc. But next time I should fly through as the head has declared a 'nothing on the windows' policy.

Sorry Tolish, I thought by 'This weekends work' you meant 9am till 1pm Saturday and a day and half in the pub! :cheers:
I wish mate. Maybe the next time I do it, but this time was a pig. Each window probably got cleaned twice. This school is in my village so I had to go a bit overboard to impress as there will be a lot of eyes on it. Over the years no one had even bothered to scrape the glue left over from the original window stickers, and it would have ruined the job if I had done the same. Just about every window needed a scrape for something. One large batch of windows even had a wasp nest coming out on an air brick, and they were ****** off to say the least when I turned up.

did u get paid on the day? hope so

recently i was invited into my local school,looks summat similar to yours tolish, the janitor was striking the deal and he walked me round it . itd been done the previous year for 150 in and out but done badly windows missed ,in 1 day . i told him id do it for 400 job spread over 2 days but i could see from his face my price was too high . he told me thered be a cheque waiting at the end of the job if i got it,

course i never heard

Last edited:
did u get paid on the day? hope so
recently i was invited into my local school,looks summat similar to yours tolish, the janitor was striking the deal and he walked me round it . It'd been done the previous year for 150 in and out but done badly windows missed ,in 1 day . i told him id do it for 400 job spread over 2 days but i could see from his face my price was too high . he told me thered be a cheque waiting at the end of the job if i got it, course i never heard
No worries there mate, I've dealt with the head the whole time, and its all been done through email. The janitor is always the spanner in the works as they work for peanuts, so you are expected to as well. Just when the full quote was finalised, he decided to borrow a squeegee and bucket and have a go himself. Didnt do abad job to be fair to him, but as you would expect he cherry picked all the easy ones- ground floor, UPVC. He's not insured for ladder work so they were going to make me do all the ladder access ones. That doesnt work for me though, as people are going to judge me on the bottom ones that they can see, also my tops were going to drip on the downstairs, so I pulled it back to a full exterior+bits he couldnt do inside.

The janitor found out he didn't have the time to do it all as its a lot harder and more time consuming then he thought, so hopefully he'll stay out of it now./emoticons/biggrin.png

i vaguely thought i should ask janitor what was his tipple, to sweeten the deal- but wasnt sure if he was teetotal. he looked like a professional skiver was no end of hidden **** that he boasted hed stuff behind crevices rather than dispose of but what made him tick i never found out.

i vaguely thought i should ask janitor what was his tipple, to sweeten the deal- but wasnt sure if he was teetotal. he looked like a professional skiver was no end of hidden **** that he boasted hed stuff behind crevices rather than dispose of but what made him tick i never found out.
I suppose a little back hander wouldnt go a miss for something like this, to keep him on side. Fact is though that you are actually doing him a favour. If I was the janitor and I had done the two days I had done for the poxy money hes on I would not be happy. The worst thing that could happen is that he finds out the quote and then undercuts me which would be very easy to do, but with a bit of luck hes scared of heights. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back