Gutter Vac

Discussion in 'Gutter & Fascia Cleaning' started by CNS-southwest, Oct 2, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. CNS-southwest

CNS-southwest Grand Master

Am I right in saying a gutter vac is just a industrial wet and dry vac with a giant pole on the end???

What kind of power vac do I need and where can I get the clear poles from, or will any clear poles do as long as the diameter is right??

Thanks

Dave

Advertisement
  2. mark m

mark m Hero

3. CNS-southwest

Nice one dude, what the diameter on those bad boys??

4. mark m

mark m Hero

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I've been using guttervacs for a few years now however I've found I can clear most gutters out quicker by hand when safe to do so..

Always comes in handy though for some jobs that ladder access is an issue. Don't expect it to remove large sods though without breaking them up first with some kind of gutter hook. Above 2 floors high they are not that good and bloody hard work especially if the guttering is full of sods

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

May I add if you do get into gutter clearing with a guttervac be expected from time to time as having to go up ladders as they don't unblock downspouts like in the pic below.

Most jobs I do if the guttering is quite clear and is good condition but the coustomer complains the water overflows then more often than not the downspouts are blocked.

7. CNS-southwest

8. gutter-vacuum-systems

Hi Smurf,

you are right even with a gutter vacuum you will have the need to get up ladders every now and then, but if you use a vacuum with enough power 9 out of 10 times you can still unblock a down pipe with a gutter vacuum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTVbpziOQEs

Regards Mark

9. Smurf

Smurf Banned

The time it takes to feck about like that wich may I add was not that thick/heavy you could have cleared most of the gutter run out by hand.

Sorry been doing this a long time now so probaberly I am the best to judge how good guttervac's are and to be honest they are not that good at clearing downspouts out properly especialy ones with blocked elbow joints...

10. gutter-vacuum-systems

Your right there are some instances where it would be quicker by hand, the commercial property in that video is one of them that would have been quicker if the customer would allow it, but its getting harder and harder now days with all the health and safety issues when trying to use ladders. I am getting asked more and more now days for method statements risk assessments and liability insurance (commercial obviously).

the gutters in that video where about a foot wide and quite deep, and the muck that was coming out was very thick and quite heavy, coming down in big clumps the one in the video weighed over 1.6 kg's that's a fair bit of weight considering the the pole's i was using where only around 4kgs 16ft.

I'm just giving my opinion and i find that i can clean down pipes out with the vac, yes it does take some poking about and yes sometimes you do need to get a ladder out.

I don't carry a ladder on my van i have one here and if i am working miles away i will put it on the van just in case, but for the little use it gets i don't see the point in carrying it at all times.

Regards Mark

Advertisement