Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Email Marketting

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
whos tried it?

just sent 140 emails to schools in my city

going about gathering another batch after a cup of tea..

Any other ideas on places to target?

car dealers, nursing homes etc

any idea how to get a load of email addresses quickly?

list of schools were pretty easy to find but i imagine businesses will be harder

You will find a lot will end up unopened in people's junk folders.

It doesn't cost you any thing apart from time but finding the data is what takes time.

And schools are not all that.

Years ago they were good earners but not any more,most schools have little to no money and window cleaning is way down on there list most only get it done once a year and they will be filthy.

Unless there private they will always go with the cheapest.

Also you run the risk of your email being marked as a spam email by people like Microsoft, hotmail, outlook etc if the people getting them mark as spam and have not ask for the email.

I might send them from a new email address then in future incase it causes any problems for my business email. I think a lot have ended up in junk folders as not many have been shown as read.

Only got 1 reply and caretaker does there windows.

I think for regular customers you can make a mailing list where they opt in to receive your email every month

Tried on week in a big way when I had nothing to do, used google maps to get the names of all business then googled them got email addresses and sent a nice email to them all, did all the schools etc, got 0 replies. I think for educational stuff you need to get on the local trades register with your council, something I have in process at the moment, awaiting trading standards checks which is required to get on their lists now.

So its probably just a lot easier to stick to domestic then rather than jump through all the hoops required for commercial.

I guess it depends on what you want from the business, I think for myself getting into bigger commercial work is a good "great" thing to do, plus having the system thats made for it, it's regular work with some providing long contracts, lots of staff to see you there and maybe pick up their homes etc, future growth and recommendation far increased with commercial work onboard.

The ones I do so far are great, left alone, nice and easy work great money and paid up within 30 days via Bacs.

Once on the trades list you can also tender for council stuff like 3 storey flats etc, and council buildings so I'm told, thats one of the reasons I'd like to get on, once in the door as they say.

I might send them from a new email address then in future incase it causes any problems for my business email. I think a lot have ended up in junk folders as not many have been shown as read.
Only got 1 reply and caretaker does there windows.

I think for regular customers you can make a mailing list where they opt in to receive your email every month
Its a bit of a grey area when it comes to getting emails. (i do this as part of my 9-5 job) if say you got your customers email as part of obtaining their details on signing up for a clean this could be seen as an opt in. Although they have not specifically agreed to what you send them they have given you their email.

Its actually quite shocking however how few open your emails let alone click any links in them.

A recent email campaign i sent was sent to 579 people out of those only 97 opened the email and only 11 clicked any links within the email!

I've done email campaigns before - and honestly, its really not worth it. The response rate is dismal and the effort that goes into building a list of email addresses is huge,... I've come to the conclusion that its simply not worth the time & effort when different marketing methods will give much better returns from the same input.

Tried on week in a big way when I had nothing to do, used google maps to get the names of all business then googled them got email addresses and sent a nice email to them all, did all the schools etc, got 0 replies. I think for educational stuff you need to get on the local trades register with your council, something I have in process at the moment, awaiting trading standards checks which is required to get on their lists now.
I quoted a few schools in 2015 and that don't care about anything except price.

I looked at one in December and it hadn't been cleaned in 4 years they openly told me they were getting 3 quotes and would be going with the cheapest.

Health and safety is another thing schools could not care less about the one I looked at recently said I could stand on a glass roof to access some window.

They don't even ask crb checks.

I have safe contractor all insurance in place and clean one of the most prestigious and well known private schools in the area.

But it still comes down to price and how cheap you can do it for.

Back