Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Big price increase

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JBC88

Hi 

Has anyone got any experience putting prices up big £2-5? I haven't put prices up in 5 years which bizzarrely seems standard. Supply costs have gone up in that time and so has cost of living. I'm in annoying position where I I can run biz except affording a reliable van but can't get what I need for family. Eg I need to move to 3 bed house as got 2 kids and house I rent is too small. 3 bed houses cost £200 to £300 more to rent so got that a month to find I can't save if I moved now but if I could save  £300 on top a month towards house deposit I could get a house and pay less a month than I do in rent. I'm abit stuck,

I'm putting prices up by rates above. £2 smaller houses £3-4 for new build detached £5 anything bigger Not sure if it will back fire though. I get new work when asked at prices I want and need but getting that rate off existing customers is getting a mixed response so far but not too bad 10% have cancelled. I'm abit worried if my 50 odd detached houses cancelled tho cos then I'd be around £500 a month down.

So has anyone had to do this and succeeded long term any advice would be great.

I had bought a round of bungalows. Thought i was getting a good deal til i started the work on them, they where huge n prices where rubbish. Found out the prices hasn't changed in at least 10 years. I explained this to customers n had to bump them up, by £3-6 im sure, they were still cheap in my eyes. I was just about in thats with the pressure of putting prices up especially when just taking them over. I think the customers saw the standard i work too n thought it was worth it, as last cleaner only done glass.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

odds are you'll lose a few, but then you'll have space to get new custys and charge more from the off.

id do it in stages and then replace what you lose before the next lot of raises, that way you don't feel it as bad

Last edited by a moderator:
As above do it in stages so you can also get a gauge of how things are going to go depending on were you are in the uk I would say £5 is a bit of a jump if it's only a few houses and you may have to accept you may lose them if its more than a few a would be a little more cautious. 

Thanks for replies

It's definitely helped. It's not actually gone so bad I lost 2 in 60 and about a further 5 were abit put out but not enough to cancel. Most of these prices have gone up £2-3 I'm surprised they have been so ok with it. It's just the two that did cancel I'd had for 11 years so it was making me question myself. 

Like you've both mentioned I'll replace the lost customers but by value before putting next lot up then I've not lost anything that way. The £5 increase house have about 20 Windows on them and I've been doing them for £15 since 2013. The other detached have 15-18 Windows and done them for £10 for same length of time I'm putting them up £3.50

Thanks for replies

It's definitely helped. It's not actually gone so bad I lost 2 in 60 and about a further 5 were abit put out but not enough to cancel. Most of these prices have gone up £2-3 I'm surprised they have been so ok with it. It's just the two that did cancel I'd had for 11 years so it was making me question myself. 
Like you've both mentioned I'll replace the lost customers but by value before putting next lot up then I've not lost anything that way. The £5 increase house have about 20 Windows on them and I've been doing them for £15 since 2013. The other detached have 15-18 Windows and done them for £10 for same length of time I'm putting them up £3.50
Glad it's worked for you, I thought you'd lose more.

I find if you increase the price, then soften the blow by guaranteeing no increase for a

year or in my case every two years so they know where they're up to helps.

All my customers know about the biannual increase so I seldom lose any.

I have just done this. 70% of my round is work I bought, the 30% I have picked up or canvassed is well priced but the work I bought needed price increases. I put most of them up between £1 and £5, mostly £1 and £2. I put on the note that the price is guaranteed to not go up again for at least 2 years. I haven't lost one customer [emoji3]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

i,m guilty of not putting my prices up regular and it backfires in the end.I,ve got this estate I takes  three days to cover on your own,its my cream nice detached houses ideal picked up most of the estate over the years

but as mentioned never hit them with rise in price now i,m having to move my arxe quick to make gd coin on them.So they must all go up, even just a £1 would be better than nowtDont know what it is I just have block with putting prices up.Yet new customers no problem get the price what the Duncs wants happy days.

Not raised my prices in over 3 years now but that will be happening soon

Gonna be giving the whole round the traffic light treatment as was talked about on here before

Seems a good way to do it 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not raised my prices in over 3 years now but that will be happening soon

Gonna be giving the whole round the traffic light treatment as was talked about on here before

Seems a good way to do it 
im in the process of doing that with my father in laws work, 90% of its red (over £3 underpriced)

Back