Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hand Care Essentials

Apw1210

Good evening all.

We often see countless threads on gloves..

Some love gloves some hate them

When working outside through all four seasons our hands need to be looked after, Wearing gloves can protect your hands from harsh chemicals but your sweat can also damage your skins and lead to contact dermatitis from a build up of contaminants and bacteria getting trapped in your pores 

I swear by a high quality barrier cream in the mornings and often throughout the day sanitise my hands before eating, after dealing with money and also COVID19 protection.

A good quality hand cream is a must and best used at the end of the working day.

There is nothing worse than painful cracked open red raw finger tips during the day. 

Below are three of the best hand care products I've found and use Daily 

20211019_193136.jpg

20211019_193124.jpg

82DB1FA6-9AB2-4880-A811-CD4DA19564F2-huge.jpg

I had a horrible cracked finger when I first started out in this game and nothing was easing it. Since then I've used disposable gloves and change them every couple of houses so they don't get sweaty. Now my hands are bone dry all the time! 

I had a horrible cracked finger when I first started out in this game and nothing was easing it. Since then I've used disposable gloves and change them every couple of houses so they don't get sweaty. Now my hands are bone dry all the time! 
Also keep a few tubes of super glue gel in the van. Squirt a small bead into the open crack. Spit on it and it will relieve any pain and keep it closed whilst working 

Ditto. I get cracked skin all over my knuckles and do the same as you however i do let my skin get sweaty as i find it softens it up remarkably well. It might not be the best thing to do from a medical POV but i've found it works far better and pain free than any cream - which always stings like hell when rubbed into the cracks.

Added bonus being that you don't get dirty hands from the hose...

Ditto. I get cracked skin all over my knuckles and do the same as you however i do let my skin get sweaty as i find it softens it up remarkably well. It might not be the best thing to do from a medical POV but i've found it works far better and pain free than any cream - which always stings like hell when rubbed into the cracks.

Added bonus being that you don't get dirty hands from the hose...
Wearing gloves ie nitrile etc can cause dermatitis after prolonged use and block your pores. I can't stand working with gloves and they lead to more issues than good in my opinion 

Wearing gloves ie nitrile etc can cause dermatitis after prolonged use and block your pores. I can't stand working with gloves and they lead to more issues than good in my opinion 
I already have that problem so it doesn't worry me too much but cheers for the pointer.

I can't say i'm wild about the idea of using gloves (expense etc) but i also don't like getting me hands dirty from the hose when it's been all over the ground and collected all the dirt etc.

After 31 years putting my hands in soapy buckets and handling hoses etc I still don't wear gloves.

Use decent cream like you said and it's fine.

Superglue is a great trick with cracked skin the same as zinc tape on cracked/cut/blistered feet from wet feet or new boots etc.

Although you would know this anyway. 

Last edited by a moderator:
aah, that brings back memories dave, laying on your back with feet in the air to be inspected by the cadre, luckily i've always had good feet and never had blisters ok, maybe one or two that popped and quickly healed always peeded on new boots to get them worn in old school i guess, for hand cream i have found this to be the best one i have ever used good for feet and face aswell, i'm on a chromebook and its new to me so i can't insert the link until i get to grips with the buttons but look on ebay for dalan intensive hand cream or argan oil from morroco

Last edited by a moderator:
Back