Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Handling your lance pressure washing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Derekarogers

Hey,

So I recently purchased the 21lpm Loncin Pressure Washer and did my first job last Week.

Do you guys mainly operate at full pressure/throttle when you're pressure washing concrete slabs/flags & block paving?

I was just cleaning a row of flags down an entry of some flats so didn't really need the FSC.

I just found the lance was a nightmare to handle, literally took every ounce of my strength to handle it, I was basically leaning right in on it. I could spray and lean forward and never fall over, the kickback from the lance keeps me upright.

I've just been re-watching alot of videos on YouTube and it just seems that nobody else seems to get the kickback I seem to be getting. I guess you get use to it but my arms and shoulders were in bits the next day :ROFLMAO: Just wondering if there is something I am doing wrong and if I can ease the work.

I've got the 1200mm lance with a bend at the end which I realise gives you more kickback up in the air because of this.

But even with the 900mm straight lance, it still blows you backwards.

I am almost 16 Stone and it still manages to give me a hard time :ROFLMAO:

Anyway just wondering if some of you lower the pressure, my machine is 200bar.

I don't do PW but from what I have read/seen it's best to use the lowest pressure/engine speed that enables you to clean the surface. Too much pressure/high engine speed could damage the surfaces you are cleaning plus costs you more in fuel. Try lower speed/pressure and see how well it cleans.

I don't do PW but from what I have read/seen it's best to use the lowest pressure/engine speed that enables you to clean the surface. Too much pressure/high engine speed could damage the surfaces you are cleaning plus costs you more in fuel. Try lower speed/pressure and see how well it cleans.
Thank You Ched,

So perhaps start of lower pressure, lower revs on the pressure washer and see how it is cleaning the surface. If it is struggling to clean then keep turning both the revs and pressure until optimal for the job?

Glad is not just me. I have the 15lpm Loncin having previously only used a Chinese Rocwood cheapie. I’m primarily a landscaper and spend my days digging, shifting hardcore, carrying and laying slabs, lifting fence panels and posts……and I am never more knackered that when I’ve spent the day pressure washing. Just the effort of bracing against the lance seems to be the major factor.

Glad is not just me. I have the 15lpm Loncin having previously only used a Chinese Rocwood cheapie. I’m primarily a landscaper and spend my days digging, shifting hardcore, carrying and laying slabs, lifting fence panels and posts……and I am never more knackered that when I’ve spent the day pressure washing. Just the effort of bracing against the lance seems to be the major factor.
I bought a 1500mm lance and manage to achieve a 90 degree bend near the end. I use it for PW roofs when I get them. The only thing was the force I had to exert to keep it down so I needed a counterbalance. Straight down to the roofing merchants for a 3m roll of lead which was near £60 a few years ago. Wrapped round 3Kg of lead and fitted a big jubilee clip round it. Now I can sit on the roof and move it about with one hand when its flowing. The moment I stop it falls like a brick but I have got used to it now. ?

I am no stranger to heavy lifting and still when I was using this it seem very hard to brace down and control. I am comparing it to people I watch on YouTube pressure washing and I've gone back over their videos specifically to watch as they first start pressure washing with the lance and they really don't seem to brace much, I've even seen some who practically hold it with one hand at some stage and I am just thinking, HOW?

Obviously I assume it gets easier and you get use to it but even then, it still seems difficult.

I can only assume some people must really lower the pressure/revs so the kickback is not as hard.

I am no stranger to heavy lifting and still when I was using this it seem very hard to brace down and control. I am comparing it to people I watch on YouTube pressure washing and I've gone back over their videos specifically to watch as they first start pressure washing with the lance and they really don't seem to brace much, I've even seen some who practically hold it with one hand at some stage and I am just thinking, HOW?

Obviously I assume it gets easier and you get use to it but even then, it still seems difficult.

I can only assume some people must really lower the pressure/revs so the kickback is not as hard.
Might be a cheap lance because never heard of folk holding down a lance, something doesn't seem right.

got to be honest, never had real trouble handling the pressure washer even at full throttle. If you're having real kick back something must be up, as apart from the initial press of the trigger I don't have any problems with the power, yes it takes a little while to get use to it, but after a few hours you should be fine.
Like above, is it a cheap lance?

got to be honest, never had real trouble handling the pressure washer even at full throttle. If you're having real kick back something must be up, as apart from the initial press of the trigger I don't have any problems with the power, yes it takes a little while to get use to it, but after a few hours you should be fine.
Like above, is it a cheap lance?
Might be a cheap lance because never heard of folk holding down a lance, something doesn't seem right.
I was testing it out again Yesterday, I turned the pressure down which I found made it much more manageable.

The lance I have is just what came with the Loncin set from Rutland Pumps.

I've used both the Turbo Nozzle / Quad Nozzle they sent and it was the same issue, very difficult to keep down.

I have recently swapped over to a lance with a bend on the end which I hear can cause the lance to want to shift upwards but still even with the straight lance it is very difficult to manage.

Now I've lowered the pressure though It is much better.

I've purchased a pressure gauge now also to fit to the machine so I can see exactly what pressure I am working with to optimise it as and when I need, I think this will help me know where I am at.

I guess it will just take some getting use to at MAX pressure.
Might be a silly question but are your jets the correct orifice for the pressure and flow of your machine?
I assume so, It did come as a complete set from Rutland Pumps so the Quad Nozzle & Turbo I have is from them.

I was testing it out again Yesterday, I turned the pressure down which I found made it much more manageable.

I've used both the Turbo Nozzle / Quad Nozzle they sent and it was the same issue, very difficult to keep down.

I have recently swapped over to a lance with a bend on the end which I hear can cause the lance to want to shift upwards but still even with the straight lance it is very difficult to manage.

I've purchased a pressure gauge now also to fit to the machine so I can see exactly what pressure I am working with to optimise it as and when I need, I think this will help me know where I am at.

I assume so, It did come as a complete set from Rutland Pumps so the Quad Nozzle & Turbo I have is from them.
Give Ben a bell at Rutland and describe the issue, I'm sure he will put you right.

I rarely run my machine maxed out, around half revs and normally 2500psi depending on the state of the job. Only really goes up high when I attach the FSC. Pressure gauge is a must, really helps.

Like a lot of things it takes a bit of practice to get used to a new piece of equipment, I find leaning into the lance helps reduce the strain, but you don’t always need maximum pressure especially if using a turbo only use the amount you need to remove the dirt start lower and increase until you find the sweet spot with cleaning effectiveness and speed

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back