Has Anyone Ever Been Sued?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Solar Steve, Dec 15, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Guest

Hi guys. With much talk about leaving ice on the floor on cold days, I was wondering if anyone has actually been sued because of this? If so, what was the line of argument and the final outcome?

Advertisement
  2. Squeak and Bubbles

Not me Steve. If it's that bad, I won't risk it, it's not worth the hassle. Some take the chance, but it only takes one slip, it's coming up to Christmas people are skint even more so to try it on. You had an issue?

3. adrian5139

adrian5139 Member

i just pre warn people then its their decision but mostly i talk them out of having it done, have to be so carefull in this day & age people are just looking for an excuse to sue, make sure if you do go ahead that all your warning signs are in position, always helps

4. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Guest

I've been wfp for nearly 10 years. It's never been mentioned by a customer as a hazard to them, nor have I heard any other window cleaners having a problem. Surely if it was that big a risk, the risk would have claimed casualties by now.

On paths, I offer to salt for free. If they say yes, if they slip, it was their choice. If they decline the offer and slip, again that was their choice. That way, I absolve myself of any responsibility.

I continue to work even if the water freezes because I have covered myself. If they are out, I don't salt.

To be legally sued, surely the evidence needs to be concrete against you. (Pardon the pun!). Was it your water or their water from their defrosting their car? We're they wearing appropriate footwear? If they were in, they should have a degree of common sense to realise frozen water will be on the ground. Common sense is a factor. If a road has had snow on but the council ploughed then gritted it, if you carried on at a normal dry day speed and you crashed, could you sue the council for not ploughing ALL of the snow off and eliminating the risk? Could you sue them for your slipping/skidding on their salt? I doubt it. Your common sense should have told you to slow down to reduce the risk of an accident.

I know there may be differing opinions on this, but I would fight it all the way. My viewpoint may alter if I knew of any REAL cases, not hypotheticals, where someone was sued and how the legal aspects panned out in court.

5. Extremecleansussex

Extremecleansussex Active Member

I had a claim against me nearly three years ago when a customer slipped on ice shortly after I'd cleaned her windows and broke her leg in two places.

My insurance company decided it was cheaper to pay out than to fight the claim.

6. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Guest

Not sure if it is congratulations, but you are our first! How did they prove it was you?

7. Extremecleansussex

Extremecleansussex Active Member

The customer came out to shut her garage after I'd gone and slipped on the first step. I could have argued it but my insurance company decided that it was cheaper to pay out than to fight it. They paid out £7.5k in the end and doubled my premium.

So in answer to your question, they never proved that it was me.

8. A.K WINDOWS

son of a b1tch customer mate jesus,i take it you dont still clean her windows lol?

9. Squeak and Bubbles

it pays to have insurance. You still cleaning her windows? :eek:

10. GMcleaning

GMcleaning Guru

its not really the custys fault is it? she came out and slipped on water/icy step caused by the bloke that had just cleaned the windows, probably hurt herself quite bad, had to take time off work etc.

Advertisement