Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any thoughts on new window system?

GC window cleaning

My old system in my van is getting a bit tired now. It was second hand in the van when I bought it and i am thinking of upgrading.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm using the varistream and shurflo pump abd a RO system in my shed making water but thinking of using the systems with the resin etc all in the van and scraping the tank and pump in the shed.

If you scrap the shed system can you plug the van in at night and make enough water by morning. Do you run out ever during the day if so you can't go home for refill. 4040 ro makes water quick if your out and I was a customer and you plunged in to my gaff id kick your ass down the road. Can't see the point of carrying the extra on the van unless your doing big commercial jobs where you can plug in for water.

can be tempting to upgrade to these flash tanks and that but if aint broke dont change maybe renew ur core gear

pumps

pole

holiday /emoticons/biggrin.png

can be tempting to upgrade to these flash tanks and that but if aint broke dont change maybe renew ur core gear
pumps

pole

holiday /emoticons/biggrin.png
Cheers. Heres another one for you. I charged my leisure battery up yesterday and after an hour using it today my varistream meter keeps showing Low voltage already. How can that be? would it be I'm not using the right type of charger? or my battery which is less than 2 years old is losing charge in the cold van? Advice would be a great help

Because leisure batteries are designed so that the minute there used, they should be charged to full again. I fitted a split charge relay 4 years ago and am still on the same 85amp leisure battery, where as before the relay I was going through about one every 18 months

Cheers. Heres another one for you. I charged my leisure battery up yesterday and after an hour using it today my varistream meter keeps showing Low voltage already. How can that be? would it be I'm not using the right type of charger? or my battery which is less than 2 years old is losing charge in the cold van? Advice would be a great help
A good leisure battery charger is important. Without it you wouldn't get a leisure battery fully charged. A charger for a car battery just doesn't do the job. (I went through an 85amp leisure battery a year when I was using an ordinary car charger to recharge my trailer battery. I put the battery on charge every night. The battery was mounted on the trailer's drawbar and was open to the elements.)

Currently, I plug the charger into my van every night in the winter and usually every second night in the summer. Since I scrapped the wfp trailer and went to a van mount my first 110amp 'Orange' leisure battery lasted 3 years, my second Numax 110 amp lasted over 4 years and my 3rd 110 amp Oldham battery is nearly a year old. (My Numax battery didn't fail like the Orange battery did but started to give me the symptoms of being a little tired. I probably replaced it early but I didn't want to struggle by leaving its replacement too late. I purchase mine from our local motor parts outlet and, as they order it especially, it takes a day or two.)

We don't suffer the temperature extremes that some do being on the north east coast. But the van always has a frost heater in it on cold nights set at about 2 degrees and the battery sits on a thick piece of rubber conveyor belting stuff that isolates it from the cold of the van floor. I do have a VSR (voltage sensing relay) but as we do minimal mileage it doesn't input much charge into the battery whilst the engine is running.

If your Varistream is the latest type that has the 3,2 1 bar built in battery monitor, then I strongly recommend you fit an isolator switch from the battery to the Varistream and switch it off after you finish your last house. The latest Varistream uses battery power even although its switched off.

We have used one successfully.

IP55 Switch 1 Gang 10AX - Toolstation

I have a spare pump and Varistream in my spares cupboard. I bought one of these;

LED SWITCH ILLUMINATED ROUND ROCKER ON/OFF SPST 12V 16A CAR VAN DASH BOAT LIGHT

drilled a hole in the top box of the Varistream and incorporated it into the wiring. But I only did that once the warranty on the Varistream ran out.

Always love Spruce and Steve frying my grey matter with tech talk. /emoticons/smile.png)

My only tip is goto a Halfords, they have a free machine they test witb that will tell you it's ok or it's needing a charge or it's needing replacement.

Because leisure batteries are designed so that the minute there used, they should be charged to full again. I fitted a split charge relay 4 years ago and am still on the same 85amp leisure battery, where as before the relay I was going through about one every 18 months
Cheers for your help i will loo into this

A good leisure battery charger is important. Without it you wouldn't get a leisure battery fully charged. A charger for a car battery just doesn't do the job. (I went through an 85amp leisure battery a year when I was using an ordinary car charger to recharge my trailer battery. I put the battery on charge every night. The battery was mounted on the trailer's drawbar and was open to the elements.)
Currently, I plug the charger into my van every night in the winter and usually every second night in the summer. Since I scrapped the wfp trailer and went to a van mount my first 110amp 'Orange' leisure battery lasted 3 years, my second Numax 110 amp lasted over 4 years and my 3rd 110 amp Oldham battery is nearly a year old. (My Numax battery didn't fail like the Orange battery did but started to give me the symptoms of being a little tired. I probably replaced it early but I didn't want to struggle by leaving its replacement too late. I purchase mine from our local motor parts outlet and, as they order it especially, it takes a day or two.)

We don't suffer the temperature extremes that some do being on the north east coast. But the van always has a frost heater in it on cold nights set at about 2 degrees and the battery sits on a thick piece of rubber conveyor belting stuff that isolates it from the cold of the van floor. I do have a VSR (voltage sensing relay) but as we do minimal mileage it doesn't input much charge into the battery whilst the engine is running.

If your Varistream is the latest type that has the 3,2 1 bar built in battery monitor, then I strongly recommend you fit an isolator switch from the battery to the Varistream and switch it off after you finish your last house. The latest Varistream uses battery power even although its switched off.

I have a spare pump and Varistream in my spares cupboard. I bought one of these;

drilled a hole in the top box of the Varistream and incorporated it into the wiring. But I only did that once the warranty on the Varistream ran out.
Thanks for this a great help.

Always love Spruce and Steve frying my grey matter with tech talk. /emoticons/smile.png)
My only tip is goto a Halfords, they have a free machine they test witb that will tell you it's ok or it's needing a charge or it's needing replacement.
Cheers will do this tommorrow.

Sorry /emoticons/biggrin.png

Does that tester Halfords have work for a leisure battery as well?

I would have thought that the only way they could test it is to fully charge it, then fully discharge it with a known current. That I would have thought was the only way they could measure the capacity of it.

With all my old batteries they have always shown up as fully charged, but they loose their storage capacity ie 110 amp down to 20 or 30 amp.

In the old days they put a heavy load on a car battery for a short duration of time and look into the cells to see which ones were bubbling. If it bubbled then that cell was shot and so was the battery.

Just a quick one in regards to the varistream using power even when switched off. Instead of fitting a switch can you just not remove the fuse going into it ?

Just a quick one in regards to the varistream using power even when switched off. Instead of fitting a switch can you just not remove the fuse going into it ?
Yes you could, but I would prefer not to disturb a fuse. Those fuse holders aren't the best to begin with. Once they stop making proper contact then they create other issues.

Yes you could, but I would prefer not to disturb a fuse. Those fuse holders aren't the best to begin with. Once they stop making proper contact then they create other issues.
Hmm I will have to fit a switch now then as I have been doing this for the last 3 months.

Cheers

Hmm I will have to fit a switch now then as I have been doing this for the last 3 months.
Cheers
Or you could just remove the + battery terminal. But if you have a split charge relay then this isn't a good idea.

Back