heating back of the van/damp

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by heyoh, Nov 29, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. heyoh

heyoh Active Member

How do you guys heat the rear area of your van? I have a renault trafic, with a fixed bulkhead, so the back is completely separate, and I find that in the winter it gets quite damp, condensation dripping from ceiling etc
    I'm embarassed to say but the other day I found some mushrooms growing in a corner... o_O:puke:

The front of the van heats up to boiling temperatures in about 10 mins of driving, so I was thinking about how I could divert the hot air towards the back. The bulkhead has a removable window thingy (which I heard is quite difficult to take out, but not impossible), do you think the hole would be big enough to make a difference in temperature in the back?

(not my van, but that's the hole i'm on about)
    [​IMG]
    Or do you have any other methods to heat the back?
    I don't have a driveway so extension lead+220v heater is not an option.

Advertisement
  2. SPCleaning

SPCleaning Guru

I would have thought that letting the hot air through would help. I have no bulkhead and the rear of my van is insulated so that helps too.

3. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#3 spruce, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

If you have damp in the van then you have to source and fix that first. There will always be a little condensation on the van roof in the winter due to the cold and storage of damp brushes etc, but leaks need to be sorted.

When I can I leave the van doors slightly open on the driveway and let the van air. I also dry the roof of the van with a dry towel from time to time. I have a Citroen Relay.

I think there are a couple of vents at the bottom of your factory fitted bulkhead. It could be that the plylining in front of them won't be helping with air flow. But I still don't think enough air will flow through them to keep your van 'drip dry'.

From experience having no bulkhead just seemed to fog up the front windscreen and the heater wasn't sufficient enough to heat the whole cabin and cargo area; end result was that it was cold inside all winter and not a nice environment. The bulkhead I bought hadn't glass in it but I fitted some before the next winter.

The van was much quieter with the glass fitted.

I do put an electric heater in the van in winter, but it doesn't heat the van up. It switches on at about 1 degree and switches off at about 3 degrees. Its never been warm in there when I take it out in the morning. It won't dry the van out as there is no air circulation to remove the moist air that's in there.

The other point is that most people have their heaters on re circulation in the winter as it warms the car up quicker. You need to draw air in from the outside, warm it and let it pass through the vents at the back of the vehicle.

4. Solarpanelcleanington

Solarpanelcleanington Forum Addict

Roof vent and caravan salt?

5. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Once I stopped leaving open water and wet rags etc in the back of my trafic the damp stopped.

6. heyoh

heyoh Active Member

Well the truth is that with the tank completely filled when going around corners the tank does leak a little. I tried using silicone around the cap, which helped a little, but it can't be sealed properly.
    I know what could solve my problem, but it's a big job: take out everything put new plywood on the floor, paint it with protecta coat or similar, I guess that will have to wait until next spring.
    Over the past couple of years the ply lining started to rot, and is in pretty bad condition now.
    How much do you reckon it would cost me to have just the floor re-plied?

7. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

heyho are not better lifting ply then painting onto metal floor

8. Green Pro Clean Ltd

heyoh earlier this year I had same dilemma of rotten ply, stripped out my van and when I took out the floor I was amazed to see how heavy sodden rotten ply wood is, so I scrapped it off and Protectakoted the floor. It looks a lot better and I reckon I have reduced the over all weight by at least 30 kilos if not more as sodden ply is bloody heavy.

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Some tank lids/tops leak. You maybe able to replace the o ring in the lid with the next size diamt up of sealing cord. Its called Nitrite O Ring cord and is available on Ebay.
    o ring cord | eBay

Having sodden ply flooring is a big issue. Green Pro Clean Ltd has the best solution. Do it asap is my advice.

Hose reels are a big cause of water issues. We connect our reels to an outside van port and hose reels are always outside the van. We have a couple of Hozelock hose connectors that have been sealed with silicone adhesive. These are popped on the hose reel before the reels are put back into the van. They seal up the hose reel and stop any water dripping from the connector. If the hose on the hose reel is dripping wet when its been reeled in then I will put a wet towel down on the floor to catch any water that drips off.

The hoses to the hose reels from the van ports are also emptied before they are put away.

Brushes are shaken off before being put back into the van and the pole hose is drained down.

The sounds like an unnecessary regime each time we pack away but it does help to keep the van dry.

10. noddy

noddy Well-Known Member

#10 noddy, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    spinning roof vent off ebay helps ,or ply line the roof this stops it a good bit

if your keeping the ply down forget procrapacoat paint its rubbish and wont stop the water also it will look dirty in weeks and is hard to clean

its speedliner
    or a full fiber glass rear to water proof your van

we have both done and both work well , if you want heat in the van safely and anywhere its parked then fit a heat heater that run on diesel there full auto and keeps truck driver warm as toat when sleeping in the cabs but there not cheap to buy. unless you get a reworked one from evil bay

heres one of ours when we were fitting it out after speedlineing it even the roof is done never once had a problem and its was quite funny in winter seeing cars with 8inc of snow on the roof and our vans clear

[​IMG]

Advertisement