Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Heaviest vehicle to run over hose

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi, im working on a new estate that is being build and I regularly have heavy vehicles drive over my microbore hose with no issues.

Today a drain cleaning truck turned up and my hose was across the road. He stopped and leaned out and asked me about it and I was going to just say drive over but I asked him how much it weighed and he said over 28 tons! Which is surprising seen as it's a little smaller than a dustbin truck. Must be coz it's full of water and sewage..

So anyhow I moved the hose out of the way pretty sharpish!

Question is, what's the heaviest thing that can drive over your hose without damaging it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that’s heavy. I remember watching a dustbin lorry with 4 or 5 blokes in drive over. It was fine. I wondered what’s armoured tank would do, ?

Hi, im working on a new estate that is being build and I regularly have heavy vehicles drive over my microbore hose with no issues.

Today a drain cleaning truck turned up and my hose was across the road. He stopped and leaned out and asked me about it and I was going to just say drive over but I asked him how much it weighed and he said over 28 tons! Which is surprising seen as it's a little smaller than a dustbin truck. Must be coz it's full of water and sewage..

So anyhow I moved the hose out of the way pretty sharpish!

Question is, what's the heaviest thing that can drive over your hose without damaging it?
They can take substantial weight on them according to @Part Timer as he said he stood on his ??

I've had full size lorries with several super heavy cable drums (for fishing boats) drive over mine. It did colour the yellow hose slightly rubber black, but it took no damage.

On rare occassions I will run a hose over the road but it must only be in an area where vehicle traffic is slow.

I've had a hose damaged (still using it) by an idiot Virgin Media van who parked on my hose and then turned the wheel whilst stationary doing a 3 point turn. I don't think there it too much of an issue if a car goes straight across it, but its when a vehicle is turning that you get tyre scrub. If your hose is underneath the tyre then its going to be put under stress.

When the rubbish removal guys are about we don't run the hose across the road. We do one side of the road then move the van to across the road to work the other side.

I had an idiot park his car on my hose once and disappear into one of the houses. I was around the back and didn't see which house the driver went into. So I got the jack out of the van and jacked the car up to retrieve my hose. After a wasted 20 minutes doing that I made a note to myself to not get caught like that again.

We regularly have artics driving over hoses in one way streets that weigh 44 tons providing they don’t trap it against the pavements it seams to be fine we replace it about every 3 years it gets some serious abuse being dragged round pebble dashed walls driven over by trucks and seriously hot water going through it 8 hours a day 5 days a week I think that’s quite good really 

We regularly have artics driving over hoses in one way streets that weigh 44 tons providing they don’t trap it against the pavements it seams to be fine we replace it about every 3 years it gets some serious abuse being dragged round pebble dashed walls driven over by trucks and seriously hot water going through it 8 hours a day 5 days a week I think that’s quite good really 
It probably would have been fine then. It's pretty tough stuff!

There was a lad on here who was cleaning windows on an airport back this winter. A car ran over his hose and the hose got caught up in the wheel and took the pole right out of his hands.
Really unlucky but it’s food for thought. You take risks letting any vehicle run over your hoses no matter what the weight

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The only damage on mine after 2&half years of use is, ages ago the hose was stuck, I was pulling really hard round the corner of a house, the hose was stretching but not coming round, when I walked over to the corner, the hose was caught actually in between two bricks, and the outer protective yellow rubber had been worn off by the sharp brick work. But well over a year later it’s fine, but you can see the inner hose now. 

There was a lad on here who was cleaning windows on an airport back this winter. A car ran over his hose and the hose got caught up in the wheel and took the pole right out of his hands.
Really unlucky but it’s food for thought. You take risks letting any vehicle run over your hoses no matter what the weight

@NudelI think 

I never put the hose across the road on a fast road, only on cul-de-sacs and small enclosed new estates where nobody drives past 20mph.

I do worry about the hose getting caught up in the undercarriage of a car though.I wonder if a car drives over it fast enough if it will bounce the hose into the air and then catch on something?

I'm pretty careful though. I was working with my bro in law and he went across a road on a bus route and went around the back of a house and as he pulled it left big loops sticking up in the street! A bus was approaching pretty fast but I managed to pull it flat before it drove over. That could have been pretty bad but he's quit now so the world is a little safer ?

A steel wheeled steam roller ran over my silicon type hose, no problem ?
Wow. That's surprising.

So basically it seems that anything can drive over the hose without a problem as long as it doesn't dry steer on it.

Thats very true but sometimes you have no choice like when working in a one way street and the only parking is on the opposite side of the road to the properties most of our town center is like this ??? I am always a bit nervous about doing it but in 15 years wfp I haven’t had a problem yet , saying this I guess Ime asking for trouble now ??? 

Thats very true but sometimes you have no choice like when working in a one way street and the only parking is on the opposite side of the road to the properties most of our town center is like this ??? I am always a bit nervous about doing it but in 15 years wfp I haven’t had a problem yet , saying this I guess Ime asking for trouble now ??? 
That’s the only reason I keep a trolley in my van. Plus my worker seems to be in love with it.

He don’t like it if I use it even though it’s mine! He’s even named it Tracey trolley. Bloody saddo ?

Latest Posts

Back