Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water bill !!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

reliable chris

Afternoon all

I was wondering if anyone could advise me.

Since going over to WFP I have been getting really high water bills from the water board. Currently £150 per month!

I feel I should get a discount as most of it goes back to ground, either as waste from the RO, or onto customers windows.

The water company disagree tho.

I was wondering how other companies make it viable, especially big companies that use a lot more water than I do..

(1 van 5 days a week)

Any advice, greatly appreciated

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Afternoon allI was wondering if anyone could advise me.

Since going over to WFP I have been getting really high water bills from the water board. Currently £150 per month!

I feel I should get a discount as most of it goes back to ground, either as waste from the RO, or onto customers windows.

I was wondering how other companies make it viable, especially big companies that use a lot more water than I do..

(1 van 5 days a week)

To be fair @reliable chris you say 1 man van 5 days a week then your cost is £7.50 per day based on 20 day month working month for your water supply?

Do you really think that's excessive?

Afternoon allI was wondering if anyone could advise me.

(1 van 5 days a week)

You should be able to get a smart meter fitted?. On your outside tap only, this only charges you for usage and not waste as you are not wasting any.

Apparently most water authorities will reduce the sewage content of your water bill if the waste water from your r/o goes to soak away (in other words, does not go into the drain.)

Your water bill is made up of 2 components, water and sewage.

You will always pay for the water you use but you need to talk to them about the sewage side of your water bill. You need to explain to them that you are a window cleaner and you filter water for cleaning windows. You will fit a sub meter onto your r/o and give them a reading every month. Your waste water from the r/o is going to soak away (they could send an inspector around to confirm this) so they can remove that amount from the sewage component of the bill.

It might be a good idea to find another windie in your water authority area who does this already. It like planning permission to build an extension on the side of your house. If someone has done something similar in your street then you have a better chance of getting planning permission referring to an application already granted previously.

Be aware that this could cause you to be moved onto a business water tariff, so you need to prepare your case before hand.

It's tax deductable remember, that might help!
Trouble is you still have to earn the money to begin with. For the majority of window cleaners that is probably 20% depending on their tax bracket. The tax man gives you nothing.

Back