Help me start my business

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Ryan, Jul 22, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Ok guys

i'm going to be canvassing for window cleaning and next week when my leaflets come thro

iv got a budget of around £150-200 to get my window cleaning stuff

should i do my canvassing first before my lay out and book the windows in for the following monday if i get any takers ?

shall i just get
    ladder
    bucket
    scrim
    cloths
    solution
    Applicator and squeegee
    to start with and see where it goes at first

any advice would be great thanks

Advertisement
  2. Start canvassing asap get as many customers as you can then when you lay the money out for the equipment at least you'll know you have money coming in. as for the equipment you have the basics get some sort of work diary though you will find you need it a lot for any changes etc.

3. Ken

Ken Guest

I really suggest if you can to buy Unger products, as the bucket on a belt I bought 9 years ago, is still good. lol

4. If you are just doing 1 story domestics then I would suggest:

A 10 rung extension (x2)box ladder (always buy square steps) frm B & Q or Wickes - cost £69.99.
    A step ladder (just a small one) - about £25
    Either a couple of scrims or microfibre cloths (your preference) (I prefer scrim).
    A good 12 inch blade and spare rubbers (buy pre-cut until you get used to them) - about £20
    An applicator - aout £16
    A bucket (You can buy the rectangular buckets but they have a tendancy to break if you constantly throw the blade and applicator into them. If you buy a good old fashioned lack rubber bucket it will last a lot longer. £6
    Assuming you have a car and roof rack then you need some bungees to tie the ladders down.
    You can spend a fortune on solution such as squeegee off but the seasoned guys use good old fairy liquid - 5 litres for £5

Oh, and of you have enough buy a 25 litre container and keep it filled in your car as customers feel you are more professional if you do not ask for their water.

That should do it.

Canvass first, when you get some customers do them within a week, then keep going.

Good luck

5. nearlyclean

Supplier

Good advice.not much more I can add maybe budget in some PL insurance as soon as possible

6. Ryan

Ryan Guest

thanks agine boys for the help much appreciated

I'll let you all know how i get on in a few weeks

7. kars

kars Guest

Pretty much what the guys have said already. Add to that a big friendly smile and a great job done you should be well on your way.... good luck and hope to hear how you are gettin on soon :)

Advertisement