Help with choosing pole

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by able, Jan 26, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. able

able Newcomer

Hi Everyone, great forum.

I run a cleaning business and last year purchased a small wfp set up,ro-man ro system and trolley system with a 35ft fibreglass pole, The pole I have may extend to 35 ft but is useless at that height, it's all over the place, 25ft tops.

I am now hoping to expand the business and offer the service to some of my 3 and 4 storey business contacts.

For an office block this high what kind of pole would I need to invest in, I'm guessing Carbon but are there variations and if so what is a good model and what should I look out for so I don't get ripped off?? If I get a longer pole than needed will it be cumbersome or is it worth the added investment from the outset.

My pump is 80psi, would I need to upgrade this?

Absolutly any other advice you could offer would be fantastic.

Thank you

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

There are a few carbon pole brands that would be worth considering but gardiner poles seems very popular with wfp window cleaners. I'm sure Alex Gardiner could give you the best advice on the type of pole that would be most suited to the job in hand.

3. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

i,ve been using the facelift 22 & clx 18 i find the clamps went quick with the facelift, clx was very good but I also got ionics
    glyder 30ft
    my mate uses the facelift which I find to bendy i,ve changed the brush to gardeners superlite see if it is better
    but the glyder i use it all the time clamps great no bending even fully extended , yes its heavy but I,m really pleased with it
    but yes it is heavy

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

wagga also like his reach-it pole :D

5. able

able Newcomer

Thank you so much for the quick replys guys, I had seen an ionics 45ft on ebay for £720 (swift 45) but the Glyder 40 looks great, why is it £240 dearer for the sake of 5ft ??

That reach it looks great, is it normal for the hose to be on the outside, mine is in the middle and can be a pain sometimes

6. Bingo

Bingo Grand Master

Reach-It are too expensive for what they are, plus there's a few people been having problems with the poles AND the after sales care.

Wasn't Wagga's pole a freebie....no wonder he likes it so much.

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

8. RiceRocket

RiceRocket Well-Known Member

The difference in price you mentioned is due to the type of carbon used.
    Gardiner SLX39 for around £460 (extra £30 for a wider brush) is what you want.

9. able

able Newcomer

Cheers all, Gardiner and ionics look great

With the slx39 I can see that you can buy extensions for around £60-£70, how much can you extend the slx39 if I chose to at a later date, to be honest though I think a working height of 44ft would be ample for now.

Now onto necks, it comes free with the quick lock resi neck, is this any good or worth upgrading?

Think I'll start a total new thread on all the brushes on offer :)

10. Alex Gardiner

Alex Gardiner Forum Addict
    Supplier

#10 Alex Gardiner, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    You can extend the SLX39 up to a maximum of 47ft (actual pole length) - this would be using the SLX Extension#9 and the Gardiner #10 modular extension.

When choosing poles remember that some firms (like Reach-iT and Ionics) name their poles after the reach not the actual length. Worth bearing in mind when comparing.

The included Quick-LoQ gooseneck is a good place to start, but for reaching over ledges I personally really rate the 10" gooseneck and this is what's on all of my poles.

Advertisement