help with static ro system

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by trevor peacock, Jan 22, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. trevor peacock

trevor peacock Active Member

I've got a trailer with a DI system that has served me well for 15 years, It's time to upgrade so I want to put a 1000 litre tank with RO system in my garage and get a van with a tank and pump. The van I can do myself, the ro system is another thing.
    Can anyone help me with where to buy the components and what do I need?
    I've found a 1000 litre tank from tanks-direct for £176 and a 450gpd ro system from collinswaterproducts on ebay for £169, are these suitable and what else do I need?

Advertisement
  2. Green Pro Clean Ltd

If you shop about on eBay and Gumtree you can get 1000 liter IBC tanks (used) for as low as £50 each. If you have it in the budget get yourself a 40 inch RO, around £300 depending on where you shop.
    Then all you need is some hose pipe and a transfer pump to get the water into your van.

Good luck.

3. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Hello Mr. Green, long time no see. Where you been and how are you?

4. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Just lurking steve garwood TBH been avoiding posting due to it getting a little hostile around here lately. Gav however seems to have worked hard to resolve this so lets move forward.

Sorry for hijacking the thread there a little trevor peacock

5. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

That's my fault about hijacking the thread, sorry trev

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

#6 Barney, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    hello trevor and welcome to the forum.
    Wheh i first started WFP I was in your position. I got a clean IBC for about 40 from ebay. I also brought q 450 gpd from daqua. My budget was tight at the time. My tds is about 180-200.
    In hindsite (and as members on here recommended at the time) I wish I had brought a 21/40 or at best a 40/40 ro.
    The 450 gpd will be ok if on a budget. but the water protuction is slow. In the summer I fill my 25lt barrels in 30 mins. in winter up to 40 mins.
    a 40/40 would take the time down to 8 mins. depends on how much u use in day.

edit
    my water pressure is about 60 to 70 psi without pump

7. trevor peacock

Hi,
    Thanks for that, can you tell me more about the ro, what's a 21/40, 40/40 ro? I thought they were measured in gpd's ?

8. trevor peacock

I've just had a look round, if I use about 300lts a day and have a 1000lt tank in my garage wouldn't a 450gpd be more cost effective?

9. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It depends if your on a water meter or not.
    a 450 gpd will waste a fair amout of water (at least 2 waste to 1 production, maybe 3:1). a 40/40 could give u 1:1 ratio so will waste a lot less water. Over time that cost will add up if on water meter.
    Check out this site, he has a video which explains things.

Reverse Osmosis (RO) Systems and Water Filters with Axeon Membranes

10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Barney got there first :thumbsup:- I agree with what he has said.

Personally I would go with the 450GPD. It kept two of us (2 vans) in water but it took a little planning.

However when buying an r/o there are other considerations as well as it producing enough water per day.

One of the most important considerations is if you are on a water meter. The smaller r/o's aren't as efficient as the larger 4021 and 4040's are. Let me explain. An r/o needs a restriction on the waste so water under pressure can be 'forced' through the membrane removing it's impurities in the process. The impurities are carried away by the waste water.
    With the smaller r/o the restrictor is usually a 3 to 1 ratio unit. This means that 3 liters of water go to waste to make 1 liter of pure using 4 liters of tap water. On a water meter that waste water soon adds up. To produce your daily requirement of 300 liters will cost you 1200 liters of water.

If you go for a 4021 or a 4040 then you you could get away with a 1 to 1 ratio depending on your tap water tds. Our tap water TDS is 125 and our water pressure is 50psi. With an HF5 membrane we produce about 2 liters a minute (not boosted) with virtually 2 liters going to waste. So if I'm using 300 liters of water per day then I would expect to use about 650 liters of water to produce that. My water bill is going to be around half of yours to do the same job.

In the long term you would be saving money buying a larger r/o. The difference between a 4021 and a 4040 isn't that great, so I would tend to by a 4040. I've had ours for 3 1/2 years and I wish I had done it 9 years ago.

Advertisement