Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladders needed and stuck on which ones are best for me, help!!:)

Scottie

Well, I need your expertise on a decision to choose a good safe ladder within a price range of £115 pounds.

I have had some great advice so far but I have found a few and will list them below. I also would be so grateful for your tips if you have any ladder in mind that would best suit me to do my window cleaning jobs.

I do have some specifications, one that it fits in to my car and that being 2.5 meter max when ladders are closed up. This will save me money setting up roof rack etc etc and money is tight setting up and I did not expect to be getting ladderhttp://www.diy.com/departments/abru-aluminium-triple-extension-ladder-h47m/30372_BQ.prds, it is only after being sensible and taking you guys off here advice given to me.

So I hope you can check out the ladders below and let me no what one you feel is best for me or if you have any in mind within my size range. I am not also sure what size I need to get to the upstairs window as that is all I need to go hight wise.

http://www.midlandladders.com/products/Triple_2_5m_8ft2_Trade_Light_Industrial_Ladder-21-7.html

Also found these(updated link)

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-349690/lyte-elt325.html?gclid=CIjQ6Oz1usECFbHHtAod3UoABw

Thank you so much, this is my last purchase and then I can start, but I wanted to ask here as it is the place that will give me best advice and advice I can trust as it is from people whom do the same job.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 1 st on your list the Abru triple was my very first ladder. i too carried it inside my car . i loved that ladder and did almost a year with it . downsides about it- the wind catches it a lot,on windy days it feels scarey on the Abru.

After i upgraded to proper trade ladders i held onto the Abru as a backup but i never used it and later sold it .

i prefer trade doubles for a variety of reasons.

the 1 st on your list the Abru triple was my very first ladder. i too carried it inside my car . i loved that ladder and did almost a year with it . downsides about it- the wind catches it a lot,on windy days it feels scarey on the Abru.After i upgraded to proper trade ladders i held onto the Abru as a backup but i never used it and later sold it .

i prefer trade doubles for a variety of reasons.
Thanks for that advice, I did notice the bnq ones did nto say trade and trade is what I need.

Are the other two any good, would you recommend them? Or do you no of any others in that size of max 2.5 closed that will do me.

Cheers Boarcity. Really want to nail what ladders I need today and get them:) fitting them in car is essential to me at present. Updated the link on the last pair of ladders

Thanks for that advice, I did notice the bnq ones did nto say trade and trade is what I need.
Are the other two any good, would you recommend them? Or do you no of any others in that size of max 2.5 closed that will do me.

Cheers Boarcity. Really want to nail what ladders I need today and get them:) fitting them in car is essential to me at present. Updated the link on the last pair of ladders
id think at 2.5 metres you might have a job getting them inside a focus , unless you remove the seats . i had my Abru triple 2.0 inside a Fiat Brava hatch and needed to remove the front passenger seat. Abru triple is a trade ladder,well it was when i got it ,i remember it said trade on it somewhere.

id measure the room in my car if was you

I Use the Abru trade 4.7 3 Sec ladder and have done for the whole 4 years I have been Window Cleaning. They are excellent for the price etc. Every year I have purchased a new set. I now have four sets of ladders dotted around town and I also have two other ladders I use. I use a trolley now and then and do 99.9% of my round on foot. No fuel costs.

One tip is to wait until Homebase, Argos or B&Q have a 25% weekend. I managed to get every purchased ladder for under a £100

There is also a difference in ladders that people need to look out for. There is a D.I.Y version and a trade version...

I am constantly looking for a ladder small, compact when down and reaches a good extension. Have not found anything yet. With a car you could try the link below. These look pretty good and sturdy... I tried a Tele ladder. These are not long enough..

With the Abru I would suggest the stand off too. This will get you closer to the odd window over a porch etc.

Centaure do a Sectional Ladder which would fit into a car nicely. I like the look of this ladder. Although never used it...

http://www.ladders4sale.co.uk/Centaure-N-ECH-Window-Cleaner-Ladders-200.asp

id think at 2.5 metres you might have a job getting them inside a focus , unless you remove the seats . i had my Abru triple 2.0 inside a Fiat Brava hatch and needed to remove the front passenger seat. Abru triple is a trade ladder,well it was when i got it ,i remember it said trade on it somewhere.id measure the room in my car if was you
Hi, thanks for the advice, I will measure it all now, just my unger pole is 2.5 meter and it fits in to the footwell and has a little room with boot shut. So 2.5 in length is fine, but the ladders are bigger in mass, I would have the back seats down and the front seat right laying down, shoud be ok I would think..... If anyone knows of any ladders that will fit a focus hatch 2001 let me no, trade ladder.

Thank you. I am just waiting to find a ladder thats recommended and fits then I am on the go with window cleaning. HELP!!!! lol

p.s what is the height minimum I need for ladders to do upstair windows. You say you had a 2.0m ladder Boarcity, what did that exend to? That would fit in a focus one that size, but would it be tall enough for what I need.

Hi, thanks for the advice, I will measure it all now, just my unger pole is 2.5 meter and it fits in to the footwell and has a little room with boot shut. So 2.5 in length is fine, but the ladders are bigger in mass, I would have the back seats down and the front seat right laying down, shoud be ok I would think..... If anyone knows of any ladders that will fit a focus hatch 2001 let me no, trade ladder.
Thank you. I am just waiting to find a ladder thats recommended and fits then I am on the go with window cleaning. HELP!!!! lol

p.s what is the height minimum I need for ladders to do upstair windows. You say you had a 2.0m ladder Boarcity, what did that exend to? That would fit in a focus one that size, but would it be tall enough for what I need.
that Abru triple 2metre youve mentioned will do all the normal houses . i cant remember what it extends out to but itll reach all the normal window stuff but wont reach gutters
as you intend to carry your ladders inside your car,id think that this Abru is likely the only ladder suitable.

A double 2.5 metre wont be long enough for normal houses , you need 3 metres and over if its a double ladder and 3 metres defo wont go inside a car. if my memories right you can buy Abru ladders in BnQ so best you go in there and put one on your shoulder see how it feels.

if you are vertically challenged :rolleyes: i would go for 8 rung triple

and if your a big boy extra reach wont be a problem with slightly smaller ladder

Cheers Norm.

Wel after much thought and the help of rjacandwc and boarcity I am going to buy my first ladders http://www.diy.com/departments/abru-aluminium-triple-extension-ladder-h47m/30372_BQ.prd

These seem fine for me and I will get the stand off and also foot the ladder as I am new to it I want to ease myself in and feel safe. Thank you all for your help and I will make sure they have the BN131 on it, but this ladder in link is the right trade ladder and if its good enough for boarcity and rjcandwc to use then its good enough for me as these guys know there stuff.

Not bad at £114 - I think this will do me until i make some money and get a bigger set or I may even stick with these. Thank you.

Cheers Norm.
Wel after much thought and the help of rjacandwc and boarcity I am going to buy my first ladders http://www.diy.com/departments/abru-aluminium-triple-extension-ladder-h47m/30372_BQ.prd

These seem fine for me and I will get the stand off and also foot the ladder as I am new to it I want to ease myself in and feel safe. Thank you all for your help and I will make sure they have the BN131 on it, but this ladder in link is the right trade ladder and if its good enough for boarcity and rjcandwc to use then its good enough for me as these guys know there stuff.

Not bad at £114 - I think this will do me until i make some money and get a bigger set or I may even stick with these. Thank you.
i just had a look at your link above Scottie , i wrote one of the BnQ reviews of the ladder ,4 yrs ago !!under the name Artie8Ward . [who was a character in The Sweeney ].

time flies doesnt it!

Boarcity, ha ha, yeah i read that review and that was the one that I thought yes this is the one. lol - How times does fly. Thanks again for yor advice on the ladder, just need the funds to get it. Will get it early next week, can not wait, oh then i have to climb it. Its all your fault Boarcty and Pura Clenz and the others saying no do ladders, dont do trad pole. I am not nervous of climbing the ladder, just anxious its all safe and set right, if you get me. I have no issues going up if i no its set right and solid. Hence the stand off purchase and foot the ladder is needed. that will give me confidence, but as so many say the more I go up the more I will just get used to it.

altho years ago now, i can remember its a nice ladder to carry about , light and easy to carry . when you extend it out it makes a distinctive clack- clack noise as the safety catch rides on up the rungs , i can still hear this sound in my mind. vaguely similar to the sound of a rollercoaster on the upgrades

I totally agree with boarcity. A great ladder at a great price. It can also be separated into a two piece ladder. You can change the feet up to 6 times by taking the feet from other areas of the ladder. it is light, compact and strong. I feel safe on it and I still use my "Stand off" most of the time. Sometimes I will place ladder mitts on the end. It all depends on where I am and what I am doing. If only there was a four piece like this at around 1.5m instead of 2m. Would look better on my trolley... And would go in a drivers car loads better too.

It will probably blow over in the wind, quite rickety.

Id rather use a trampoline.

Look for the following BS standard mark on the ladder you choose:- EN131 150kg Load

Hi, The ladder has EN131 150KG load, so it should be fine and I seen other people recommend it in other sites as well as here, seems a good ladder and with my weight on it, can not see it blowing over, the other guys here used it fine for years, tbh if its that windy I wont be on it, use the pole. /emoticons/smile.png

On the ladder issue anyone know where I can buy good quality ladders that will reach approx 30ft (3rd story gutters ) and can be extended by one man , oh and will deliver to good old Norn Ireland ;-)

....seems a good ladder and with my weight on it, can not see it blowing over, .... /emoticons/smile.png
It wont blow over when you are standing on it.

It may well blow over when you get off and a gust of wind comes along though.

I had a quick look around and saw these

http://www.midlandladders.com/products/Lyte_Triple_2_5m_Trade_Ladder_BSEN131-533-152.html

Proper trade style ladders with box section stiles (the vertical ladder sides).

They weigh a bit more than the others you suggested, which make them more stable, less rickety, the sides wont twist like the 'I beam' section ladders, and they are even in the same price point.

Just my two bobs worth.

All the best.

here the vid on the M8trix. altho iv never seen one,i bleve itd work well . i like this vid a lot .

[media]

[/media]

WOW - That has just changed my mind totally, that is quality, it work on stones, decking and grass, that was my worry about foot the ladder on grass and stone, its not even is it? It really does stand out better to me. Where can you get this from, hope there oem deals on it.Cheers Boarcity again for the vid.

What m8rix is that one in the vid, i dont want the pro plus one, the one with the metal at bottom, is that the professional or industrial one?Ta

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back