Hi all

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Iain jones, Jun 20, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Iain jones

Iain jones Newcomer

Hi my name is Iain, I live in Somerset and I am seriously thinking of starting a window cleaning business.
    I did try a window cleaning round about 6 yrs ago but didn't work out to well.
    So I may ask some stupid questions so please forgive me if it's been asked 25 pllus times

Advertisement
  2. champers999

champers999 Member

Welcome to the forums.... Loads of very helpful members, but Im sure most of your questions have already been asked so just do a search and for everything else just ask.

3. boarcity

boarcity Guest

hi fella -wot happened exactly 1st time around then?

4. Iain jones

Iain jones Newcomer

I just think it was just the wrong time really and this time I will make more of an effort to gain customers get professional flyers printed as well as business cards and look more professional like polo shirt etc but need more advice

5. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#5 boarcity, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
    dont get professional flyers mate [ homemade/cheapos work far better]

dont try to look professional either [polo shirts] youll just look expensive and nobody wants a smarmy t/t carrying a clipboard. dont buy that clipboard yet neither,not until year 4 anyhow

this is just my opinion , iv seen guys in polos all printed nice, 6 months later theyv given up/ printed workwear spells the end is my experience and not only in window cleaning. i know a fellow had a bus cafe,trickling along nicely then his missus bought them yellow printed Ts . he had gone under within 6 months of the purchase .

. also heard countless tales of folk who buy the pro leaflets on quality paper/card "i put out 2500 with my own hand and got not a sausage " is the usual result

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

Welcome.

When it comes to business cards, looking professional, logs and all that i dont think it really matters.

You can use your car and wear normal clothes and not have a website or anything and do just as well or spend thousands it really depends on what you feel most comfortable doing. Me personally went with the more "professional" look as you put it but i wouldnt worry about that too much.

The important thing is getting the work and as boarcity will tell you "you need to have many lines in the water" at all times.

goodluck

7. Chris33

Chris33 Forum Addict

Aye defo,don't think it matters whether you canvas in printed gear or not either. It's all in the mindset imo!

I'm not long started,and started with a corsa and ladders on roof. Wasn't ideal,but held my two canisters of water in the boot and done for a good month or two..

Perhaps for commercial work the professional image is more important, but those bigger jobs probably shouldn't be a priority at stage one.

Best of luck iain.

8. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#8 boarcity, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
    this vid gave me the idea "many lines in the water". it inspired me,his vids really did it for me. unfortunately shortly after making his vids he quit window cleaning

9. Chris33

Chris33 Forum Addict

Best advice I got on here was to get out there and mingle with customers, while I was at the time trying to give away free cleans on fliers lol (didn't get one hook from that btw).

Getting out there chapping doors and speaking with the community helps build up local knowledge of where there's work and what the going rate is for x type of house.

In the words of boarcity what's stopping ya?? Lol

10. boarcity

boarcity Guest

absolutely rite ! mingle in community cafes -theyll usually let you pin up a flyer on the wall .

Advertisement