Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning etiquette

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
Got pulled up earlier by a customer for not knocking on the door before cleaning, now when i first start doing a new custie i tend to knock the first time to introduce myself, but after that whether they are in or out i just do it and post a note, or if they pay cash knock after.

Only time i knock before is if i know they have a dog or a locked gate.

Just wondered what you guys do?

i always remember as a kid the ladder monkeys just slapping the ladders up and appearing at windows at random, since the intervention of wfp has the ettiquette changed?

I always knock unless its a customer I know won't be there due to car missing/usually at work etc.

Had run into those customers. I thought about it and if it was myself wanting a windowcleaner i would like them to knock before cleaning. So now i knock before i start and might take a little more time but again one hour a day more or less i dont care.

Bonus is i hand them the invoice so they cant say it got out with the trash emtying the mailbox. And some even pay before i start

If they have agreed for a regular service then it don't really matter as long as you get paid each time.

I knock unless i know they are out just due to the fact i have caught people walkkng into bedrooms after a shower etc in the past

But if it was a pole jobbie i don't see the need to knock

I tend to clean the recessed doors etc that i can't drip on to then knock while doing the front door so i am already working and not getting turned away

We knock because we have caught people in underwear down stairs

but also a habit from when we used ladders.

As above though, try and get paid or hand a ticket over so you are doing something.

And a good time to get the cuppa T tea sorted.

I just crack on. But I make sure I rattle my ladder, and I usually tap the rubber pad of my pointer on the glass before going up. /emoticons/smile.png

I only knock if I have agreed to do so. I have one guy who asked for a knock because the brush scared his sick wife. He would go and close her curtains and I would carry on. She died two years ago but I still knock.

I think he is the only one though.

I know my father wouldn't knock because he hated standing there waiting for them to answer the door, only for them to say, "Not this time dear"

I only knock if I have agreed to do so. I have one guy who asked for a knock because the brush scared his sick wife. He would go and close her curtains and I would carry on. She died two years ago but I still knock.
I think he is the only one though.

I know my father wouldn't knock because he hated standing there waiting for them to answer the door, only for them to say, "Not this time dear"
Did she die of shock? :whistle:

ahhh some naughty windowcleaners above.

I personally would want a knock on the door as you kinda think your safe in your house..and like this morning...no kids...radio on full ...dancing in the nudey...(its the two kick ass coffees and gold on the radio)

not that I am worried but seeing some big bloke cleaning away may put me off my stride..

it doesnt take a second to knock or ring the bell and then....

your cleaning the door glass and anything else down below..

I have been caught out so many times thinking oh NEVER IN .....and they are...

in fact ...I did a fiver quickie one last week and no one should have been in.

.ooops ..naughty cnc ...I didnt knock on that one...ooops..

any way as my pole came to the back bedroom unless they have an automatic blind it suddenly shut....

so you never know...great post though..

I mean today...I only wfp the fronts....as they are leaded and I have to climb over the fence to do the backs but I did knock first however...

as for the yes and no above..or the no and yes...

maybe in that case using wfp ...no....as its only a brush head at the window and I know the fronts arent occupied during the day...

cant wait for him over the road to go...great guy that he is ...he just appears at the window when he wants me...

and cheapie wearing his funny hat and picking his nose aint a pretty sight.../emoticons/biggrin.png

I gave up doing a back fsg today as felt like I was a gate crasher to a garden party. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Always knock as I said, but I am usually already working when they come to the door, knock then crack on with close to the front door windows.

Will pop back tomorrow sometime when I can be arsed to finish it off as took me 4 hours just to do the front and was fooked anyway. Did not help when I got to the back seeing the chaps drinking beer and the ladies drinking wine on the terrace all watching me as they do /emoticons/biggrin.png

first time customers always meet them before i do job when first out knock the door let them know im starting

then afterwards i always do the front first as it gives whoever in side time to get decent slash aware them that im here before i start out back

never had a complaint yet

Will pop back tomorrow sometime when I can be arsed to finish it off as took me 4 hours just to do the front and was fooked anyway. Did not help when I got to the back seeing the chaps drinking beer and the ladies drinking wine on the terrace all watching me as they do /emoticons/biggrin.png
:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs:specs

entertainment for the garden party...:cheers:

Every job I do I seem to be watched by the owner, I've got used to it and at least they can't pull me up for not trying at a later date, having seen me scrub and rinse well and spend the time on it.

Back