Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Yell.com

I'd spend that on a fb status boost you'd actually get a min of 10 houses guaranteed with a boost that size= paid for in 2 cleans approx maybe even less if you get good ones.

If you want an idea of how effective it will be Google window cleaners + area and see where Yell appears in search results. If they are not on page 1 for your area don't bother. Freeindex are also a consistently high ranking business directory (in south east anyway) where you can have a free listing and pay tenner a month for premium - and on monthly basis that you can stop anytime.

Using Yell is a bit like searching for a search engine to search for the service u want. People don't use Google only to then click another site that will produce another list and look on that - well,some people might. But generally they will go the quickest route,unless they go direct to Yell.

Definitely claim your free listing and ensure it is well optimised.My yell listing appears in its own right on page 1 for a couple of services (not windows) and Yell is considered an authoritative site by Google who gathers info about your site from what is in your business description. As Google does from various other sources/business directories/citations etc. So definitely register as a well optimised listing will help with your ranking and may rank in its own right. That applies to other directories,ie freeindex,yelp,192 etc. Is it worth the money?

If you can afford it then I believe at £10-15 / month things are worth a try but I wouldn't be so happy committing for a year. On the other hand 1 regular customer out of it more than pays for the ad over the course of a year and anything more is a bonus.

More important than anything else is getting your own site ranking highly and concentrate on that as your priority (and claim free listing and create high quality citation in the process to assist rank )

To put search volume into context I will attach screenshot I've just taken off analytics of traffic sources to my site for the last 30 days.

As you can see of approx 1000 visits , 30 came from Yell = about 3%

screenshot site traffic.png

I have a Yell premium listing and I can’t wait to cancel it.

As previously said - They are too salesman and promise the earth.

I’ve had one job from it this year (yesterday) and I have it all set up correctly.

As said - Get a site and get it optimised for Google’s search engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

The best thing with Yell is the free listing option. Be aware that their salespersons will call you and make big promises about how you will greatly increase your sales with a premium upgrade. What you get in the end is something pricey and not so effective. People nowadays don't visit online directories to find a business. They will do a quick Google search and choose something from there. So the conclusion is to spend the money that you would spend on a premium listing on something else. The best option is to search engine optimize your website. Gone are the days when you needed to be some kind of an IT guru to manage this. Nowadays it's easy because search engines reward unique content. So you don't need to learn difficult techniques to promote your website. Also there are some great guides on the Internet and great videos on Youtube, where you can educate yourself in this area. 

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back