Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New housing Estates

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We tend to stay away from new estates now. We canvassed one about 8 or 9 years ago at exactly the right time - not planned tbh. The contractors had just completed laying the tar roads and people started to believe that this signaled the end of building and that they could settle back into a relaxed life and everything would be rosy.

The estate contained some larger 4 bedroom houses, but by far and large comprised of small 3 bed semi's and some slightly larger 3 bedroomed detached houses. And then there were some houses bought by the council for low cost for disadvantaged families.

We stayed away from the council houses and canvassed the rest. We probably got 75% of the estate that evening.

Over the next few years we lost the majority of the customers in the small 3 bed semis due to payment issues, many due to not being able to afford the mortgage. A large number were repossessed by the banks. The new owners of these houses weren't any better than the first. Of these we only have 2 left, the first being a second owner - she's brilliant but the last remaining one is going to be dumped due to none payment - smokers who would rather spend money on the pack of smokes than pay the window cleaning bill.

We still have the majority of the 4 bedroom detached houses and they have been fine.

We have canvassed other new built estates but again have found by experience they weren't the type of customer we wanted.

We have found we are better off with the older established estates. The younger customers we have from these estates are good customers and they generally pay immediately directly into our bank account by bacs. We have also found that the older retired people are the best customers to have as they usually are always at home and pay on completion. They also tend to pay for their neighbours when they aren't at home.

I do a lot of families so when i do one they ask things like "has Nat paid yet?? No I'll pay for her now then while you're here"

Result

Steven. Goto to the show home and offer to do the windows weekley on yhe show home for free in exchange for being allowed to have your leaflets on the desk.
Your leaflet will offer a free window clean for all new homeowners (subject to terms and condition)

You will need a 3 month rolling contract with your new clients. As you sign them up at whatever the price is to get the free clean they have to agree to the three month 'rolling' contract.

If they cancell in say February after just a couple of cleans you will still get March April & May of cleans in the bag.

Any that just want a feeebee will walk away when you say 'contract' none that accept will cancell on the 'free' visit any that do so will do so on the first paid clean so you are guaranteed 4 paid cleans out each one.

Good luck.
My leaflets are with 4 show home offices. They say they are giving them out with the welcome pack. Not had a single nibble yet.

Can't see that people will stick to a rolling contract tbh. If they wanna quit they will and there's naff all we can do about it.

My leaflets are with 4 show home offices. They say they are giving them out with the welcome pack. Not had a single nibble yet.
Can't see that people will stick to a rolling contract tbh. If they wanna quit they will and there's naff all we can do about it.
The ones I have got on the new estates are from my canvassing.

@demo ide like a copy if thats ok m8 be nce to c how u do it i normly just talk the back legs off a donky smile an thats anouth but a few new teckneeks would b nce in my aremery :cool::ninja:

Well so far nobody has mentioned my killer tip. I came up with an idea about a year ago and tbh its amazeballs /emoticons/tongue.png

I stay away from new build estates.

There is no real money in them... Most there live totally on credit - they've stretched themselves to buy the house and after a few cleans they either cancel or ask to change to a longer frequency.

There is no real money in them... Most there live totally on credit - they've stretched themselves to buy the house and after a few cleans they either cancel or ask to change to a longer frequency.
Exactly my attitude to them, then one day i decided to actually put some effort in.

Glad i did. It wont work for everyone.

I have established customers and new round 1-2 years. The new build round is hard work to build tbh. However i have it done to a fine art. Well imho.

Once I have wrote it up. I will send it to people who ask.
Not putting it on here because I was stitched up a few years ago on a forum.
I'd be interested in having a read @Damo when you have wrote it up, cheers

New builds are great to get on, nice new windows to keep clean, always folk moving in, it's where I have done best so far, just keep your eye on completed homes and leaflet or knock as there moving in, got 1 the other day as they just opened the door of their new home for the first time, removal lorry backing in the drive, my leaflet was the 1st thing to ever his there door mat!

A signed contract is a signed contract tufffes, just depends on how far (small claims courts) you are willing to go to recover your money from those that breach your contract.

Thats certainly not what I have encountered on the ones I do, some of my best customers to date are on new build sites, quick payers, all 4 weekly and most went straight on direct debits from the off… They have a nice plush new home and want to keep it that way, I mostly only target the 3/4 bed upwards new homes rather than the social new housing as that is a different ball game, many that are buying new homes in my areas are simply wanting a new home rather than older, or moving to the area, some decent deals on buying new. 1 was only telling me last week they loved the area but was struggling to sell quickly so went the part X route something provided buying new to get the home they wanted, wouldn't agree when you say 'most' that live in new homes live soley on credit. People living on credit come in all walks of life.

As there seems to be alot of interest i will put some real effort into this one.

HOWEVER I am going to charge £50 for the guide, i kid , i kid. However if you are within 50miles of me. You won't be getting it. Swoooory

What i will do is create a new build handbook lol.

My head is full of info on these as i had to be "on it" to get the round built up.

For instance 110 new homes gone up, i clean 49 of them now /emoticons/wink.png

There is one little tip, costs you no money. Well maybe a £5 a month....... And it was an idea i came up with and tried it out. That was the turning point for me. I also designed a new build leaflet. Not keen on giving that away.

i was getting around 20 - 30 jobs per 1000Leaflets on new builds. So far i dropped about 3000 leaflets and come away with 80 ish jobs - So the leaflet started to dwindle on that estate. /emoticons/smile.png

I'm just round the corner. .come on Damo i don't work further up than letchworth lol

I'm in Lanarkshire, just outside Glasgow! Probably About 3 or 4 new estates currently being built within a 2-3 mile radius of me.

Steven you must be similar to me. You north or south Lanarkshire?

I'm just outside lanark. In honesty I tend to stay away from new schemes usually. You get the trad guys going in at £5 a house, and the customers are usually mortgaged up to the hilt and want cheapest price possible.

Then again though as Damo has done it is possible to build a solid round from them.

Steven you must be similar to me. You north or south Lanarkshire?
I'm just outside lanark. In honesty I tend to stay away from new schemes usually. You get the trad guys going in at £5 a house, and the customers are usually mortgaged up to the hilt and want cheapest price possible.

Then again though as Damo has done it is possible to build a solid round from them.
I'm in Motherwell mate so just down the road, my old man has a big round I help him with the now just trying to build up a good bit of my own work!

Back