Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

slx vs clx

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've worked enough with heavier poles than I needed to, that is the reason I would like to have extensions and only use them when necessary.My question still stands: Why is the extension heavier than a pole section?
When working with a pole and an extension the combined pole will always be slightly more heavy than a pole of that same height. This is because each extension section has an insulated layer which makes the extension slightly heavier than a section without the insulated layer.

I have tried the fibreglass poles, aluminum poles (still have it), hybrid poles (still have it) and full carbon pole (my new SLX 25 baby) and the full carbon was and will be the best money I have spent so far, I wish I had bought it last year.

i'm definitely going for the slx, at the same time i cannot decide between 18 & 22.

Just looking at the figure makes me go for the 18ft - 1040 grams - to work a whole day with that, I would feel more energised by the end of the day. :rolleyes:/emoticons/smile.png

But then I think I might find that I need to put the extension on for more jobs than I'm thinking now.

As I'm writing this, a question just popped in my mind that Alex Gardiner could answer:

Could I just get a 22ft pole, take off the last section when not needed and put on an 18ft end cap? I know there wouldn't be 'insulated layer' on that section, but what difference would that make?

I hope i'm not being a pain in the **** /emoticons/biggrin.png I'm just trying to make a good decision and not having second thoughts afterwards.

i'm definitely going for the slx, at the same time i cannot decide between 18 & 22.
Out of them two, go for the SLX22.

It's light enough to use all day and you'll be surprised how often you will use the extra reach, and it's still a short pole when closed.

I've got the SLX22 and SLX35....both a dream to use.

i'm definitely going for the slx, at the same time i cannot decide between 18 & 22.Just looking at the figure makes me go for the 18ft - 1040 grams - to work a whole day with that, I would feel more energised by the end of the day. :rolleyes:/emoticons/smile.png

But then I think I might find that I need to put the extension on for more jobs than I'm thinking now.

As I'm writing this, a question just popped in my mind that Alex Gardiner could answer:

Could I just get a 22ft pole, take off the last section when not needed and put on an 18ft end cap? I know there wouldn't be 'insulated layer' on that section, but what difference would that make?

I hope i'm not being a pain in the **** /emoticons/biggrin.png I'm just trying to make a good decision and not having second thoughts afterwards.
The only difference would be that you be missing an insulated handle section. The pole itself would actually be fractionally lighter than an SLX18. It would make no difference unless you hit a power line - then the difference could prove fatal /emoticons/sad.png

Get a 22 foot, I made the first mistake of buying a 18 foot and was always reaching with it. I now have a 22 foot pole for all day use and it does 90 % of my work

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Well, thank you all for your input. I have decide not to get a pole, i'm giving up window cleaning... /emoticons/tongue.png:rofl: Nah i'm ordering the slx-22.

Btw the reason I was thinking so much about that 180 grams of difference between 18&22 is that I get recurring shoulder injuries from just having a longer day than usual (btw before anyone says anything, I do workout, am not a weakling :mad:/emoticons/biggrin.png), my pole+brush right now weighs about 2kg (1.5+0.5) so I thought I want to get the lightest possible. But after using that clx, I realized that it's not just the weight of the pole that makes it heavier or lighter to use, it's how bendy it is, and how heavy the brush is. So with the slx22 i'll have a ~1500g pole (inc. brush), which is only 500 gram difference, but I know it will feel a lot lighter when extended.

Also my pole doesn't have indicator tapes on the sections, so I think I have been over extending it for a couple of windows. If I got a 18ft slx I might find that I need to put on the extension for more jobs than I thought.

Can I just say that I think it's awesome that Mr Gardiner comes to the customers through this forum, and I don't think theres another pole manufacturer like that. I only wish they had a London office so I could test the poles /emoticons/biggrin.png

If weight is a real issue then how about you get an gardiner xtreme 25 high modulus carbon pole instead as is only 10 grams heavier than an slx 18?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have loved to but as i said i only just saved up enough and although that pole has the blimey factor (1050g-25ft????) she is out of my league im afraid. /emoticons/sad.png

Good choice, with the 18 your hands will be holding the pole further from the floor more often which means more shoulder work.

What really kills my shoulders is reaching over conny roofs from the side if you know what i mean.

Also some days i literally only rest between jobs only while i drive to the next one.. It's actually called overtraining, when your muscles just don't get the needed rest, but have to do more work when already fatigued.

Me too but thought I would metion it as an option though.

I would have loved to but as i said i only just saved up enough and although that pole has the blimey factor (1050g-25ft????) she is out of my league im afraid. /emoticons/sad.png

Yep I know what you mean as my shoulders have got so bad they even hurt when I'm in bed as I like to sleep on my side.

What really kills my shoulders is reaching over conny roofs from the side if you know what i mean.Also some days i literally only rest between jobs only while i drive to the next one.. It's actually called overtraining, when your muscles just don't get the needed rest, but have to do more work when already fatigued.

I had to teach myself not to sleep on my shoulders at all, otherwise i may wake up with a frozen shoulder. I can't wait to start usiing my new pole on wednesday. It will be so annoying to work with my old pole tomorrow while i'll know my new slx22 is waiting for me at home.

If that was me I would be staying in until it arrived as it doesn't get dark till 9:00 /emoticons/biggrin.png

Just wait to you get older as all of your body will ache. It takes me about an hour just to get mobile hence why most days I don't start work till about 10am if at all /emoticons/biggrin.png

I get the frozen shoulder. Sometimes I wake up on my front and I can't move, literally, as my back seizes up.

suddenly gone off wfp....:rofl:

oh okay i often ache all over as well...especially when i have to go walkabout in the night....feel like im 98.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Latest Posts

Back