Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dishonest Customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

matt18

Just wondered if any one has experienced this event and how best to deal with it in the future.

I quoted a bungalow for this old guy who we kind of felt sorry for as his wife was in a room on a hospital type bed and the couple seemed house bound.

So I quoted £15 per month all glass frames and doors, the old guy said this is a bit expensive, so feeling sorry for the guy I came down to £13 per month.

It was fully explained to him this was monthly price, x12 cleans per year.

We did the job to very high standard as we always do on first cleans.

Turn up the next month only to be told "I said I would ring you when we next need you".

I said "no we quoted monthly price if it was one off it would have been more expensive"

The old guy then gave me a load of BS. So I pointed to his face and said "don't you ever ring again". He then quickly walked in doors with gravy down his legs, and closed the door on me.

What is this world coming to?

Yes kind of. I got a call from a woman asking for 4 weekly cleans. I go round agree a price with the woman and clean it, husband "can you just clean inside windows on porch, can you just clean garage doors?" I added a bit more the the canyoujuster jobs and then he says we'll call you when they need doing again. I turn round and say that I've just agreed to do them 4 weekly with your wife. I'll be texting her when they are due again and I will be saying that I will be calling on such and such a day. The husband came across as a bit of a c0ck anyhow.

tuffers i would do abba ( take a chance on me ) and just turn up do them

by the time they get there hairy arses to door job done

works every time

That ABBA stuff is quite creative /emoticons/wink.png Anyway, if it happens often, I may charge more for the first clean and return it back in the form of discount when I call round for the second time in a month time.

I had a erm... haggler, the other day. He told me about his two properties that he wanted pressure washed, and the windows cleaned and said he wanted seperate quotes for it all. So because it all seemed an easy days work I quoted 40, 60, 50... £150 for the lot, nice for a saturday I thought. So he accepted the quote, and when I got there I got 'the bad vibe', probably the worst vibe I've come across so far where I was tempted to quit before I started. Sure enough he was out a few times picking holes in the job, but he blew his trump card too soon as I hadnt finished yet. I always pressure wash for 2 coats, and by the time the second go was done it was spotless as always. Then a member of his family came to chat and was hinting how expensive I was.... I call this price grooming. I said thats just what I charge. Then just before I started on the windows sure enough the "owner" comes out and said he just wanted the one house cleaned. Turns out the guy I had been dealing with was just the frontman for a miserable little scarfed woman that walked past me snorting without a word. I nearly got shitty as the price quoted was based on the fact I was doing a sort of bulk buy, but by that point I was just glad to be gone as quick as possible. As it turned out it was a very proffitable job for the time spent, but it just shows you the tricks people try. When things like this happen I have learnt to just keep my cool until I get my money, and even then if I have quoted right then there is still no need to let em have it- they think they have won, but really you have.

Really frustrating when customers do that kind of thing but sounds like this chap had quite a lot going on.

As hard as it can be i just try to do pleases, thank yous and keep the fxxk yous in mee head.

My van can be my 'church' (can feel so serene driving around sometimes)........ but also the place to let rip when some cnut has wound me up. Do it either out loud or on the phone to someone who will listen :devil:

I had a erm... haggler, the other day. He told me about his two properties that he wanted pressure washed, and the windows cleaned and said he wanted seperate quotes for it all. So because it all seemed an easy days work I quoted 40, 60, 50... £150 for the lot, nice for a saturday I thought. So he accepted the quote, and when I got there I got 'the bad vibe', probably the worst vibe I've come across so far where I was tempted to quit before I started. Sure enough he was out a few times picking holes in the job, but he blew his trump card too soon as I hadnt finished yet. I always pressure wash for 2 coats, and by the time the second go was done it was spotless as always. Then a member of his family came to chat and was hinting how expensive I was.... I call this price grooming. I said thats just what I charge. Then just before I started on the windows sure enough the "owner" comes out and said he just wanted the one house cleaned. Turns out the guy I had been dealing with was just the frontman for a miserable little scarfed woman that walked past me snorting without a word. I nearly got shitty as the price quoted was based on the fact I was doing a sort of bulk buy, but by that point I was just glad to be gone as quick as possible. As it turned out it was a very proffitable job for the time spent, but it just shows you the tricks people try. When things like this happen I have learnt to just keep my cool until I get my money, and even then if I have quoted right then there is still no need to let em have it- they think they have won, but really you have.
yeh I do agree with part of what your saying never lose your cool,

but with some people they see kindness as a way to completely take the pi$$,

I think for now on if any one if's and but's about price i'm just going to say "im Sorry if you can't afford our service but Thanks for your call.

yeh I do agree with part of what your saying never lose your cool,but with some people they see kindness as a way to completely take the pi$$,

I think for now on if any one if's and but's about price i'm just going to say "im Sorry if you can't afford our service but Thanks for your call.
Exactly. When people plead poverty, even the ones you see are poor, just remember that the service you are offering is a luxury...not a necessity. Its not food or water you are charging for, its a clean. And most people are more then healthy enough to get up a ladder and clean thier own poxy windows. So charge double for the first clean next time so you don't get let down. Another trick you can have up your sleave if they are being tight on the first clean is to do a gradual clean on thier house- work to the price they are paying.....dont go balls out on the first clean... get the glass passable, but treat the frames as an ongoing project.

Exactly. When people plead poverty, even the ones you see are poor, just remember that the service you are offering is a luxury...not a necessity. Its not food or water you are charging for, its a clean. And most people are more then healthy enough to get up a ladder and clean thier own poxy windows. So charge double for the first clean next time so you don't get let down. Another trick you can have up your sleave if they are being tight on the first clean is to do a gradual clean on thier house- work to the price they are paying.....dont go balls out on the first clean... get the glass passable, but treat the frames as an ongoing project.
This is quite right. I believe that gardening, decorating and window cleaning are all things that most people can do but choose to get someone in.

Don't have these issues in the Cotswolds, I am usually surprised to not get a tip to be honest, not so much on the windows (though it does happen) but on gutters, pressure washing etc I usually get the price rounded up, if I charge £80 I usually get £100......

Just wondered if any one has experienced this event and how best to deal with it in the future.
I quoted a bungalow for this old guy who we kind of felt sorry for as his wife was in a room on a hospital type bed and the couple seemed house bound.

So I quoted £15 per month all glass frames and doors, the old guy said this is a bit expensive, so feeling sorry for the guy I came down to £13 per month.

It was fully explained to him this was monthly price, x12 cleans per year.

We did the job to very high standard as we always do on first cleans.

Turn up the next month only to be told "I said I would ring you when we next need you".

I said "no we quoted monthly price if it was one off it would have been more expensive"

The old guy then gave me a load of BS. So I pointed to his face and said "don't you ever ring again". He then quickly walked in doors with gravy down his legs, and closed the door on me.

What is this world coming to?
Done a pressure washing job the other day patio. Steps loads of them and concrete walls. They were black lichen and every thing . so I clean them all lovely turns out they had a lovely colour underneath woman comes out says what a brilliant job well pleased but then says its only taken 2 hours so can I do front concrete drive for free so I say no I asked you if you wanted that priced and you said no so she gets the right hump and walks off mumbling that I earn more money than a solicitor ha ha

Done a pressure washing job the other day patio. Steps loads of them and concrete walls. They were black lichen and every thing . so I clean them all lovely turns out they had a lovely colour underneath woman comes out says what a brilliant job well pleased but then says its only taken 2 hours so can I do front concrete drive for free so I say no I asked you if you wanted that priced and you said no so she gets the right hump and walks off mumbling that I earn more money than a solicitor ha ha
yes but even a solicitor does not solicit for free.

We are not charity's ever.

That's what im gonna start saying

Cleaned one last week, terraced house only quoted her £8. she agreed, anyway cleaned it posted a note through. Had to go collect as she couldnt pay online first ball ache. Anyway get there, she says is it £6 i said no we agreed 8 didnt we?. yes she says but your note you left says 6, show me note, i suppose you could have made it out to be a 6 but looked like an 8 to me. Anyway she says coppering up ive only got £6.83 or sumthin daft, i just took it and said ok thanks. Doubt ill go back, how tight can you be to argue over a couple of quid and try to get a lower price.

Had this one as well, a guy rang for a price for his car valeting, i said £60 he said how long will it take, i said about 3 hours maybe less, ok ill ring you back. Text me 2 mins later saying "bit pricey that for 3 hours". I text him back saying "**** off its cheap". lol not very professional

I been having problems with new customers this summer which got my wild up but you got to be careful what you say and how you behave, no matter how annoying they can be.

I don't know if it just me but it the older people like oap i find to be difficult.

I have had a few rows over the years over this

My answer is always that i quoted for the job and you were happy

Whether 2 hrs or 10 minutes i have still done the job you were happy to pay that amount for

Not really dishonest but certainly annoying..

I have no space to take on new clients at the moment but over a few months one of my regulars has been badgering me to clean her friends windows elsewhere in the village.

In the end I gave in and told her to give my number.

About two months later I get a call asking me to provide a quote. Two days later they ring again pushing for a price. I'm in no rush, so two days later another phone call. So I thought I had better go and price it.

There was no one in so price was put on a card and through the door. I want £50.

A week later he rings, telling me that he was shocked at the price, and suggests a more realistic price of £20.

I stay very calm, in fact I am amused by this.

"I see,............... the price is in line with the other properties in this area....... Interesting approach though, how does Tesco's feel when they tell you that your shopping comes to £50 and you produce a £20 note?

Or your mechanic maybe? £100 bill but you offer £40?"

He says he doesn't do that.

I say, "No and you wont be doing it to me either,.......you have a nice day"

Two days later his wife rings and asks that I include her on my next visit but I decline. I tell her that I only gave a price because a good reliable client had pushed and I don't really need the work. I certainly don't need the hassle of a client who is dissatisfied with my price.

Had another message on the answer phone yesterday asking if I could pop in when I am passing to try and 'sort out' our misunderstanding.

Cleaned one last week, terraced house only quoted her £8. she agreed, anyway cleaned it posted a note through. Had to go collect as she couldnt pay online first ball ache. Anyway get there, she says is it £6 i said no we agreed 8 didnt we?. yes she says but your note you left says 6, show me note, i suppose you could have made it out to be a 6 but looked like an 8 to me. Anyway she says coppering up ive only got £6.83 or sumthin daft, i just took it and said ok thanks. Doubt ill go back, how tight can you be to argue over a couple of quid and try to get a lower price.
Deary me /emoticons/sad.png

Tight as a jar of jam done up by Mr T?

lol i quoted a powerwashing job up at 130 ages ago got it and done it but before the man asked how long itd take i said about 4 hours /emoticons/tongue.png i finished in 2 hours place was perfect and it even included my complimeantry windie clean lol

she wernt impressed i was so quick

looked everywhere for faults

she aid i could do it for cheaper as i done it in half the time

i said it shud be dearer as i saved her 2 hours of inconveince lol

she gave me 130 and said no one would use my services again in the street i was so delighted when i walked to the van got some water and food then took the powerwasher out when she was still out lookin at the drive she then said what are you doing i said next doors and when i went in she came out and handed me my miney before i started

neigbour says u shud only give him half as he will do it in half time

the new customer said thats even better as she has friends coming round and the place be clean for them coming she said to the other that i deserve a bonus /emoticons/tongue.png she camre out whne i was cleaning and gave me a botle wine and i asked her could she swap it for a fresh flask of tea :) loved it that made my year

lol

Back