Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Under cutting

Gary Harry

So a customer neighbour ask for a price on her house a couple of months ago big house I quote £20 she's say I let you know , I go back today there's a guy cleaning her window with a ladder from ww2 he can't reach top windows as the ladders to short , I clean my customers windows and the one across the street and he's only on her side windows loading ladders back on he comes a cross the road and ask if I could use my ladders ha ha ha I said sorry very busy I ask him how much he charges to clean her house £12 it's a 5 bedroom house , he's only started last week he's not going to make money at that rate , when I get home I get a call from the lady asked if I could go round a clean them again sure I can but it will be £25 this time making out I've dropped customers for her ,

We all make mistakes when we start but £12 is crazy even with a wfp it would be a crazy price ,,

I quoted a £20 job, got accepted, text to say I was coming and got a reply saying oh they had had a better price of ....... wait for it ....... £7!!

Now I am notoriously on the pricey side but that's cause you get what you pay for.

4 days later I get a text 'other window cleaner didn't show' could I add them on to the round?

Replied 'Sorry, spaces are tight and I had signed someone else as you have found and alternative window cleaner, I will put you on the waiting list and let you know IF anything becomes available'

And yes I capitalized the IF.

Not bothered whatsoever about why they want to play games, they just aren't the client for me so she will wait a long time for a space to become available. Hell we will probably be outa Europe by then! /emoticons/smile.png)

I quoted a £20 job, got accepted, text to say I was coming and got a reply saying oh they had had a better price of ....... wait for it ....... £7!!
Now I am notoriously on the pricey side but that's cause you get what you pay for.

4 days later I get a text 'other window cleaner didn't show' could I add them on to the round?

Replied 'Sorry, spaces are tight and I had signed someone else as you have found and alternative window cleaner, I will put you on the waiting list and let you know IF anything becomes available'

And yes I capitalized the IF.

Not bothered whatsoever about why they want to play games, they just aren't the client for me so she will wait a long time for a space to become available. Hell we will probably be outa Europe by then! /emoticons/smile.png)
I wish I said that but I'm still building up my round but next time I will ,

i never reply now to anyone if i sense theyre price shopping or nitpicker sorts. i had a nitpicker on my round recently ring up concerned iv not been round lately."iv still got your money youv never been back" + "look,im 100yrs old " well i did call previously but no answer , my brother says im horrid droppin her off with no word whatsoever. shes 100 for heavens sake . its a hard world bro hehehe

I never worry what others are charging.

I charge the price I want take it or leave it.

Some of the new starters aren't undercutting deliberately its lack of experience and knowing how to price why they go in low.

If your one of the more expensive cleaners in your area and have plenty of work you have nothing to worry about.

I've re-priced some of mine recently that I matched the original windy when I first started (the other bloke retired) one went from £10 to £20 and the woman said she was still more than happy with that - like green and others have been saying it's all about confidence in your pricing and sticking by your guns. The tight wads will only keep looking for the cheaper option and they really aren't worth the hassle. My dads taking over from me in the next week or so while I have some time off so the majority of my work has been bumped up to compensate!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I have never given a toss what others charge

I charge what i feel like and that's that

I will never ask what someone already pays before i quote though

I am not the cheapest around either but i get the work

I never ask what their other cleaner charged etc, I say to them if they are mid sentence telling me I don't want to know! I give my price, take it or leave it.

After reading a lot of old threads on this site before starting out, I don't ask or care what others are changing. I visit all new customers and give them the price I won't for doing the job. I did leaflet a new village last month. First quote I gave at £16 was told already have a regular guy charges 18. So now all quotes in that village start at £20 picked up three so far.

I started in Feb this year. Pricing was an issue as I did not know how long it would take me to do a job and I wanted every job I quoted for. The first 3 jobs I quoted for got me 1 x £10 4 weekly, 1 x £14.00 8 weekly and £15.00 8 weekly. Now with 5 months of work behind me I would now quote £22, £28 and £32. I'm learning all the time and i'm now not afraid to increase higher, take it or leave it.

Back