Hose 15mm v Microbore

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Matty H, Feb 20, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

Good evening lads - my poor old 15mm yellow hose and reel is really starting to show its age now - had a split last week which I repaired with a push fit repair connector. First job today and noticed a small incision which was seeping slowly :)

Metal reel all black coating has literally come off / wheels are a little worn and stiff - I think you get the picture.

Never used Microbore - any good? Also is it worth getting a SS reel?

Best place for quality / price?

Thanks fellas

Advertisement
  2. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

I have only ever used microbore, but a windy i know of 15+ years experience went from 15mm to microbore about a year ago, and he is happy with it!. As for ss reel, not sure i would bother unless good price. I have been using my current (standard) reel for more than 18 months in a fairly wet coastal climate (north east scotland) and no sign of any rust. I cant remember where i got it, either wintecs or cleaning spot.

3. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

Just noticed there is 8mm mini bore and 6mm Microbore - any difference or just personal preference?

4. chip

chip Guru

i just use a 5mm id braided hose, never used anything else. the wider a hose the more flow you can get, but in the end it comes through 2mm jets, so can't see a realistic advantage, the disadvantage of a wider bore is that the pump has to work harder and thus in all likelihood burn out sooner, hence had my pump nearly 3 yrs, i've heard a few barely get 1, although i also use less length as well as diameter.

5. James

James Guru

Just down to personal prefference Matty, I personally like the 8mm but it's up to you.

James.

6. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Personal preference i think Matty, my 1st set up had 8mm, but i now use 6mm. It wasnt a conscious decision, i had ordered the 6mm by mistake, but it seemed to work just as well so i stuck with it!. And regarding what Chip said, i am still on my 1st pump which is still going strong after more than 2.5 years. But the windy i mentioned earlier, when i 1st started, and he was using 15mm, suggested i should get another pump as a back up, just in case!? :)

7. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

Cheers lads - had a look on net and Cleaning Spot are cheapest £115 complete.

8. James

James Guru

I'd try Ebay before you buy new. You will get alot cheaper than £115. It's up to you at the end of the day though.

James.

9. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

Does anyone know who came up with the name - Minibore / Microbore?

As far as I am aware they both are just made up terms to describe reinforced PVC hose, which are available in about 14 standard sizes ranging from 8mmOD through to 60mmOD

The chances are your 15mm OD hose you have been using, is actually a 15.5mm with a inner diameter of 9.5mm, the next one down from this is the 13.5mmOD with 8mm ID (called ‘minibore’) after this the next size down is 11.5mmOD with 6mm ID, (called ‘microbore’) the next size below this is 10mmOD with 5mmID etc

As long as its not the cheaply made imported stuff, it should be all the same stuff made to BS EN ISO quality standards.

Richard

10. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

Probably somebody who was "bored" :)

Advertisement