Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

hosepipe ban

cuzza

Hi guys just heard on sky news that we can only clean windows the trad way from thursday.can anyone help me out ? Cheers

Not much help for you guys facing hosepipe bans right now, but water harvesting is something i will be looking into when i get into a situation where i can. If you have a house, a garage, a shed, or anything else with a roof (you could even speak you neighbours/friends/family, to see if you can collect from them), get the drain pipes hooked up to water containers. Of course, you need rainfall in the 1st place, in order to be able to collect it!.

But in the long term, if the climate continues to cause havoc like this, i think other means of cleaning windows will have to be seriously looked into. I know you get guys doing 'water free' car valeteing, not sure how good it is, but i think it is only a matter of time before it starts being looked into for windows.

I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that large parts of england can now officially be classed as desert, due to the lack of rain, and that the area around ayers rock in the australian outback had more rainfall!. Crazy to think of england, or any other part of the uk as being desert!.

Not much help for you guys facing hosepipe bans right now, but water harvesting is something i will be looking into when i get into a situation where i can. If you have a house, a garage, a shed, or anything else with a roof (you could even speak you neighbours/friends/family, to see if you can collect from them), get the drain pipes hooked up to water containers. Of course, you need rainfall in the 1st place, in order to be able to collect it!.

But in the long term, if the climate continues to cause havoc like this, i think other means of cleaning windows will have to be seriously looked into. I know you get guys doing 'water free' car valeteing, not sure how good it is, but i think it is only a matter of time before it starts being looked into for windows.

I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that large parts of england can now officially be classed as desert, due to the lack of rain, and that the area around ayers rock in the australian outback had more rainfall!. Crazy to think of england, or any other part of the uk as being desert!.
http://www.ionicsystems.com/english/news.html, CHECK THIS OUT

That means all them w@@@@@s on that forum CLEANITUP who constantly knock traders calling it stone age and say would never go back to it will have to eat humble pie and get there ladders out lol. Hypocrites.

We are under Veolia water, and are therefore supposed to be affected.

If you look at this link from Ionic then you will see that I am affected:

http://www.ionicsystems.com/english/news.html

But if you look at page 7 on this veolia link:

https://central.veoliawater.co.uk/docs/QA-TUB-29-03-12-web__2_.pdf

it says that we are allowed to carry on under the "exceptions" list - provided that the business started before 15th March, and income is solely dependant on wfp - but only until 4th July - by which time we are supposed to make other arrangements.

Hopefully they will sort something out in the meantime.

Also seen this page at Federation Window Cleaners:

http://www.f-w-c.co.uk/federation_news.htm

I'm with Veolia and they are allowing us to continue with WFP as you say until 4th July when the situation will be reassessed. So if we don't get much rain and the drought situation gets worse then it's goodbye poles I suppose. Still, another 3 months with the pole so mustn't grumble. Really not looking forward to going back to a hand job.

the hose pipe ban doesnt apply, it you are registered as a business with your water company,

go down and try and sign on, and if they wont let you then work,

Yeah, windowcleanersmate, i can kinda see why you wouldnt be wanting to go back to a hand job, but i surely it depends on whether you are giving or recieving?!!.

By the way, up here in aberdeenshire, we have wintery showers forecast tomorrow and tuesday!. Mental isnt it?, i was walking down town yesterday to do my banking, the side of my face was literally burning with the stinging cold wind, and i'm thinking, "i was wearing shorts mon, tues, and wed!!"

What area's do Veolia Water cover?

I'm in Sheffield and am totally unaware of who I get my water from, thus meaning I have no idea what restirctions apply to me.

Also, I use my customers water to refill my tanks, as I only use maybe 150-200litres a week if that, and I use a di vessel, so is that allowed?

it says we can use the wfp but what about jet washing any one know if its allowed?

doesnt matter just looked it up with my local water authority and its ok for business to do it on domestic properties

Back